6mm ARC Lightweight Backpacking Rifle Build

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I got the 22” sporter. It’s available, I might not shoot it with anything on end of barrel and it’s more likely to have clearance when installed in a Bell and Carlson. Granted, the 20” heavier barrel will likely fit fine as well.

The 22” will be more like a traditional hunting rifle. I would have got the 20” instead had it been available but the 22” will be fine.
Agreed - don’t think you could go wrong.

Tex68w

WKR
My 6 ARC, but it's not what I'd consider light weight nor do I plan to backpack with it haha. 18" Proof Carbon, LMT MARS-L MRP, JP bolt, NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1, HUB converted AAC SDN-6.

pGvxRcC.jpg

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Is “they” Howa or one of the aftermarket options? Good to know in particular if it was Howa. Any idea on when this happened?

Yes this referring to Howa. I have purchased two recent Howa barreled actions, one in Dec 2023 and one in Feb 2024 and both had this newer version of the factory bottom metal. I can upload a photo later when I get home showing the newer style mag release. I also have had the DIP aftermarket bottom metal for a DBM and its good stuff. Nicely machined and solid.

Yes this referring to Howa. I have purchased two recent Howa barreled actions, one in Dec 2023 and one in Feb 2024 and both had this newer version of the factory bottom metal. I can upload a photo later when I get home showing the newer style mag release. I also have had the DIP aftermarket bottom metal for a DBM and its good stuff. Nicely machined and solid.

In for the pics.

Oakridge

FNG
Looks like the 3 rounders are for .223 only, too narrow for the 7.62 bottom metal. I might cut up a mag to make my own though.
I’m looking at it for my 223 mini, I just didn’t know if the three round mags even fit into the Jefferson cz bottom metal.
I cut down my factory mag so it would fit flush. Carrying a rifle with a mag sticking out has always bothered me.

I’m looking at it for my 223 mini, I just didn’t know if the three round mags even fit into the Jefferson cz bottom metal.
I cut down my factory mag so it would fit flush. Carrying a rifle with a mag sticking out has always bothered me.
Gotcha, I think it might fit. I could sell you the one I have for cheap instead of returning it.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Mini 6 ARC HB in a Stockys VG and had to open up the barrel channel and then bedded front and back. The sporter profile would fit the Stockys VG just fine. Also have the Mini in 223 that I had rechambered to 223AI and it is in a Stockys Hunter CF second. Modified the mag on the 223 and it held 4 AI cartridges with trimming the follower. Converted both to the Jefferson blind bottom metal, may have to get the 6ARC follower for the 223AI, it doesn't want to feed real good, or just open it up a bit with a round file. Still working on loads for the 6ARC, but close with the 95LRX at 2960 with the 20" barrel.

I put together a second Howa mini in 223 with a 20" heavy barrel. It's in a MDT LSS with a Magpul DT Carbine buttstock with an upgraded Limbsaver recoil pad. Wanted a set up that was instantly adjustable for both myself and daughter to shoot. LOP adjusts from 11 to 14.5" in less than a second. Topped with a Trijicon 3-9. Weighs 8lb 6oz, not the lightest but a good stable platform with minimal recoil. Photos show LOP adjustment range.

Can I ask a huge favor? Could you measure from the first slot of the pic rail to the back slot? I’m curious if I’ll have to completely redo my rings on my scope.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I think it might. I asked Jefferson and they said the three rounder was only for .223 - I bet they know if you asked. They were very responsive

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask a huge favor? Could you measure from the first slot of the pic rail to the back slot? I’m curious if I’ll have to completely redo my rings on my scope.

See attached pics. From first slot to last slot is 4.25". Total rail length is about 5.4". This is the Warne Mnt Tech Rail.

Attachments

• 20240306_181949.jpg
    20240306_181949.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240306_181929.jpg
    20240306_181929.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Newer Howa mini magazine and bottom metal pics attached. Notice the recessed/flush mag release. Overall a good improvement over prior version IMO.

Attachments

• 20240306_181708.jpg
    20240306_181708.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240306_181618.jpg
    20240306_181618.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 62
Newer Howa mini magazine and bottom metal pics attached. Notice the recessed/flush mag release. Overall a good improvement over prior version IMO.

Thanks. I’m going to give the bottom plastic a try but if there are any issues, I’m going to go with the DPI bottom metal that utilizes the factory mag.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. You mentioned it seemed tougher too which is good news. What are you torqueing it to and have you noticed any issues/flex etc?

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. You mentioned it seemed tougher too which is good news. What are you torqueing it to and have you noticed any issues/flex etc?

Much stiffer than the original but it's still polymer. I just compared it to Tikkas factory polymer bottom metal and the new Howa stuff is slightly stiffer. I had it torqued to 40 in/lbs with no issues. But I am now using aftermarket aluminum bottom metal. I had this on hand from a prior mini action. On the old ones an upgrade was pretty much mandatory but that is not the cade anymore.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know! That’s the first I’ve heard of the improvement and appreciate you sharing.