6mm ARC Lightweight Backpacking Rifle Build

ElPollo

WKR
Newer Howa mini magazine and bottom metal pics attached. Notice the recessed/flush mag release. Overall a good improvement over prior version IMO.
So does that new mag actually feed reliably? Is that a 10 round double stack for the 223? It could make me spend money on one if it feeds.

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
So does that new mag actually feed reliably? Is that a 10 round double stack for the 223? It could make me spend money on one if it feeds.

On my magazine every once in a while it would miss a round when cycling the bolt. I lightly filed the feed lips on the mag which allows the round to sit just a bit higher and it feeds well now. Note this was with the magazine in a MDT chassis. It may vary some depending on the stock being used.

ElPollo

WKR
On my magazine every once in a while it would miss a round when cycling the bolt. I lightly filed the feed lips on the mag which allows the round to sit just a bit higher and it feeds well now. Note this was with the magazine in a MDT chassis. It may vary some depending on the stock being used.
The magazine is the one thing that keeps me from diving in. The Howa action’s tendency to drag and catch when cycled is something I don’t love either. The mini action concept is really appealing for a light-weight hunting gun. I just wish they would produce a rifle that didn’t require so much tweaking.

Anyone running the Outerimpact 20 MOA rail on their Howa Mini that is on Amazon for $50? I wasn't sure if it was cheap metal or a decent rail.

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
The magazine is the one thing that keeps me from diving in. The Howa action’s tendency to drag and catch when cycled is something I don’t love either. The mini action concept is really appealing for a light-weight hunting gun. I just wish they would produce a rifle that didn’t require so much tweaking.

Both my mini actions have been pretty smooth cycling. Not Tikka level smooth but better than Savage and other similar priced guns.

Do you own one or is this is just what you've read?

ElPollo

WKR
Do you own one or is this is just what you've read?
I own a 1500 so the action comment is based on direct experience. The mag comment is based off a friend’s rifle (limited personal experience) and what seems to be a fairly ubiquitous sentiment across the internet. If yours works well, I would genuinely like to hear about it. I like the idea of these guns a lot. If the new mag improves the feeding, I will be sorely tempted to drop some coin on one.

ElPollo

WKR
Both my mini actions have been pretty smooth cycling. Not Tikka level smooth but better than Savage and other similar priced guns.
Not my experience with 1500 actions. They aren’t bad. They tend to be accurate, but the bolt is a little rough as it comes from the factory and it binds occasionally when cycling.

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Not my experience with 1500 actions. They aren’t bad. They tend to be accurate, but the bolt is a little rough as it comes from the factory and it binds occasionally when cycling.

Here is a video of my Howa Mini 223 bolt cycling and feeding from the factory magazine.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Newer Howa mini magazine and bottom metal pics attached. Notice the recessed/flush mag release. Overall a good improvement over prior version IMO.
I’ve searched around and can’t find any info on the bottom metal / mag change from Howa. Is there any info out there? And wondering if it is a universal change or only on some models or what? I have a mini 6 arc HB barrel action on back order from brownells - wondering if this change would included in that or not?

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Mini 6 ARC HB in a Stockys VG and had to open up the barrel channel and then bedded front and back. The sporter profile would fit the Stockys VG just fine. Also have the Mini in 223 that I had rechambered to 223AI and it is in a Stockys Hunter CF second. Modified the mag on the 223 and it held 4 AI cartridges with trimming the follower. Converted both to the Jefferson blind bottom metal, may have to get the 6ARC follower for the 223AI, it doesn't want to feed real good, or just open it up a bit with a round file. Still working on loads for the 6ARC, but close with the 95LRX at 2960 with the 20" barrel.
That’s exactly what I’m planning to build and have a barreled action back order and a VG stock in order. Willing to share any pics?

OP
jamesmc8

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
22” barrel 2700 FPS with Varget
Looking back in my notes it looks like I only tried Varget with a lighter 90gr bullet and got up to about 2650 before running out of case capacity. Might have to try it with the 105 class bullets as that what's this barrel likes best and Varget is probably better suited for those heavier bullets too. I was able to get pretty good velocity out of H4895 but never very consistent accuracy

For reference here is about where I have been a various combo's in a 20" barrel:

AA2460 - 100 SGK - 2750fps @ max load around 27.2gr
H4895 - 103 ELDX - 2700fps @ 27gr
H4895 - 105 VLD - 2700fps @ 27gr
LVR - 105 VLD - 2800fps @ 30.3gr
AA2520 - 105 VLD - 2700 @ 29.4gr - best accuracy in my rifle so far.