6mm Magnum vs 6 CM +P

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Primer pockets generally hold up a bit better in srp when loading warm. I've had a few hang fires in sub zero temps with lapua srp brass with slow powders like rl26 in my 22cm. Lapua uses small flash hole, Alpha uses large flash hole, haven't had the same issue with alpha brass. Moving to a faster burning powder in the lapua brass remedied the issue but did lose some velocity.
Copy that. Thank you.

z987k

WKR
The 6 UM and 6 PRC are the top tier 6mm cartridges at the moment. The external ballistics are great and those building them
are accepting of the sub 1,000 rd barrel life.

Defensive Edge +P seems to get mixed reviews. You gain up to 120 fps at the expense of less barrel life and throat erosion, which seems to be the main argument that people make against it.

I really like my 6 CM, with its AnTi X short action, standard bolt face, easy reloading and factory ammunition. As well as being able to spin on other .308 based cartridges such as 338 Fed.

If I was accepting of a hunting barrel with a shorter barrel life, why should I not just have a light contour 18" or 20" barrel spun up in 6 CM +P to be able to shoot 108-115g projectiles at around 3,000 fps, rather than go with a 6 Magnum? My heavier, standard 6 CM, barrel would be for training.
What bullets are you using in your 338F? It seems like most of the lighter 338s have left the market.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
I would go 6.5. This is coming from a 6mm shooter. Negligible recoil either way. 6.5 gets you better barrel life and better splash on misses. Just shot out to a mile with both calibers this week and was very surprised that they both laid hits on a 1.5 moa Target but also how much more dirt the 142gr bullet kicked up compared to my 115gr.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
What bullets are you using in your 338F? It seems like most of the lighter 338s have left the market.
Used Federal Trophy Copper 200 and Federal Fusion 200 in the past.
Now that I’m reloading, I’ve loaded up ammo with Hammer Bullets 186 Shock Hammers.
Big ol’ hollow point on the front of that thing and no B.C. Haha.IMG_1816.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I would go 6.5. This is coming from a 6mm shooter. Negligible recoil either way. 6.5 gets you better barrel life and better splash on misses. Just shot out to a mile with both calibers this week and was very surprised that they both laid hits on a 1.5 moa Target but also how much more dirt the 142gr bullet kicked up compared to my 115gr.
I’ve used a 6.5 CM for a decade now as well. The benefits that you are describing are not what I’m looking for though. Recoil is noticeable between the two and splashes at 1200 yards are just fine with the 6mm for me.

khuber84

WKR
Op is talking 18-20" barrels. 6.5cm velocity in that short a barrel is 2650-2700 on the top side. 6mm at that length is still 2900-3000. I have equal weight 6cm and 65cm, shooting the heaviest for class bullets in upper velocity nodes, say a 115dtac VS a 153 Berger, the 65 def has more noticeable recoil. Splash at a mile makes no difference in a hunting rifle. 99% of hunters have no business shooting game past 500y. 99.9% past 1000y.