7 PRC 6.5 PRC Recoil

Weldor

WKR
Anyone have both? Just curious about felt recoil between the two. I've read all the charts,but it is better to hear from someone who shoots them. My 6.5 PRC's are great, both around 8-8-1/2 lbs scoped and suppressed. Recoil on them is minimal.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have shot both side by side suppressed (6.5 PRC w/Ultra 5, 7 PRC with Banish Backcountry) a few rounds. There is certainly a notable (ie not negligible) between the two.

The difference is there but isn’t significant. You’re pushing a 20% heavier bullet the roughly the same velocity with 20% more powder.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
How much harder do you think the 7 PRC is? (Noteable) big rap or shove.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot both side by side suppressed (6.5 PRC w/Ultra 5, 7 PRC with Banish Backcountry) a few rounds. There is certainly a notable (ie not negligible) between the two.
How do you like that Banish Backcountry? I’ve been real close to getting paperwork started on one but haven’t seen many reviews.

How much harder do you think the 7 PRC is? (Noteable) big rap or shove.
With a break or a suppressor, it's not bad at all - think .308 land. My suppressed 6.5 PRC (I only shoot mine with a can) is around 7-08 land.

My tikka superlight in 30-06 without a suppressor out kicks my suppressed or braked 7 PRC by a decent bit.

Stock design and pad matter but I don't find either to be a particularly harsh caliber.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
How do you like that Banish Backcountry? I’ve been real close to getting paperwork started on one but haven’t seen many reviews.
I like the size/weight/diameter, and it works well, I have a direct thread one. SC is really easy, but also a longer process. Personally I'd look at one of the 6-6.5" cans that are 1.6-1.75" diameter for a "hunting" suppressor. This looks like a way better option to me: https://silencerco.com/silencers/scythe-ti/

The new thunderbeast cans and the new Nomad Ti modular thing also look intersting.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
6.5prc
147g 57g powder @2900fps 8.5lb
18.8ftlb recoil

7prc
180g 67g powder @2900fps 8.5lb
27.4ftlb recoil

46% increase
That seems about right - to be fair the 6.5PRC I shot was heavier than my 7 PRC, so it didn't feel like that much increase.

EcoastDG

FNG
Anyone have both? Just curious about felt recoil between the two. I've read all the charts,but it is better to hear from someone who shoots them. My 6.5 PRC's are great, both around 8-8-1/2 lbs scoped and suppressed. Recoil on them is minimal.
I have both. I have a 24 inch 6.5 prc and a 22 inch 7 Prc. Shooting them suppressed, the 6.5 recoils a tad less than the 7 prc. If you are happy with the results with your 6.5 prc I would stick with that. Unless you are like me and like to try out new stuff. I like my 7 Prc. It is easy to load for and very accurate.

I bought a heavy 26” 7PRC because I’m recoil averse. I’m at 11.5 pounds scoped.

It’s not too bad but it still recoils as much as a normal weight 30-06, and it’s loud. It will definitely get chopped/threaded/fluted at LRI if I don’t decide to sell it.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
Good info, Thanks. I'm not really recoil shy as much as I don't enjoy the pain. Old injury broken vertabrae between my shoulder blades, My 6.5's are no worries, the 7prc looks good but don't want to beat myself up if I don't have to. I think I'm going to stick with the 6.5's. The gain seems minimal for my needs. Taken 2 Elk no problem. I appreciate the information guy's. Time to work with 6mm Creedmoor LOL.

Hornday 6.5PRC VS 7 PRC VS 300 PRC Great discussion as I am trying to decide between all the PRC's, and this morning Hornady put a video up describing all 3 of them, their merits, and what each one was designed for etc. Pretty good video. What was interesting to me, they mentioned if you were going with a 22" barrel, and ya wanted to stay on the lighter recoiling end, to go 6.5, BUT if you wanted to go to 20" they suggested the 7 PRC due to the slower burning powders in the 6.5 and faster powders in the 7....

Elkbelter

Lil-Rokslider
I found the 6.5 PRC feels like a touch more than the Creedmoor, but hits alot harder.
While the 7PRC feel like a 7 mag--these are light weight rifles though.