7mag or .308 for elk?

jake23

FNG
Ok guys I have a model 700 7mag (9.2lb) I’m planning on taking to Colorado for first rifle this fall. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 .308 (8.2lb). I love my .308’s for whitetail in northern NY and I’ve read .308 will take an elk. Would you take the heavier gun bigger caliber, or take the pound lighter .308?

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I've taken elk with both my Sendero SFII 7mm Rem Mag and my Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308. Both have always done the job. I use 168s for my 308 and 143s for my 7mm.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
7 mag, no question. 308 will kill an elk, but if you would like to take a shot over ~350 yards and say there's a slight wind, I want that 7 mag all day. Flatter, further, more powder, more energy down range.
This simply more room for error and further touch with more energy down field 7mm🤙Would be my recommendation….elk are easy to kill if you hit them in the zone, dont and they will leave you crying and replaying the scene over and over…..good luck on your hunt👍

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I always error on the side of bigger is better. I’d carry the 7 mag. For the reasons mentioned above.

Whichever one you shoot best. With that said, the 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Partitions has been a versatile combo for me. Not so fast that it destroys meat. Still shoots plenty flat for the distances I have any business shooting at animals.

Then again, a short and handy 308 with 165gr Accubonds makes for a great rifle in the timber.

AZmark

WKR
Both calibers will take elk. Shot placement and good bullets like Nosler accubond or partition are important. I hunt elk with a 270 or 7mm08 and have made several one shot kills, never wounded/lost an animal yet. If I'm traveling far for an elk hunt I always take a backup rifle. Take them both and decide each day what you want to hunt with depending upon the conditions/terrain.

Tradchef

WKR
I've killed them with both. Both do a fantastic job. Whichever one you shoot better is the one id be taking. Out of the two i still prefer my .308 to the 7mm rem mag but like i said you cant go wrong with either caliber. They both flatten elk if you do your part.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of variables in your question....will you be packing in on foot, drop camp, guided hunt, etc...? As others have said, whichever one you are more comfortable with would be my primary consideration.Having said that, know the limitations of both you and your rifle. You may want to consider the terrain and how much you would be packing/carrying the rifle. Packing in and then hunting from your base camp sure makes the .308 attractive. Both will do the job fine. Good Luck!

Shot placement and a good bullet in a 308 is more than proven as an elk killer. I’ve personally killed more game with a 308 then any other caliber.

That being said, I have so much confidence in my 7 mag that I would definitely give it the nod. My T3x shooting 160 Accubonds is my choice for heavier game.