7mm-08 and 162 ELD-M

My 162s arrived in the mail today, and I'm gonna see if I can seat at the BT/neck junction without hitting the lands. I'll report back with max COL for my Tikka.
Ok plans changed.

Got them jumping .025. They fit and cycle perfect in a m+ tikka mag.

Loaded some up with staball 6.5 and some with varget.

Attachments

• IMG_5401.jpeg
    IMG_5401.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 27
@Pharmseller, how did that 150 eld-x perform for you terminally? I just recently shot a decent sized stag (500ish lbs, so not as big as your elk) with the 150 eld-x and felt like I'd prefer a bullet to stay together and penetrate a bitter deeper before coming apart. Obviously the bullet did its job, but leaves me questioning adequacy on a larger animal.

The bullets have performed very well. The bull took 3 shots but the first was mortal. I was on the spotter and saw the impact, tight behind the shoulder. We teach to keep shooting while the bull is standing so my nephew put 2 more in him. The bull didn’t travel but a few steps from impact to tipping over.

Not uncommon for a bull to take more than one shot. They’re dead but don’t know it.

I have so much confidence in them that they’re all I load for multiple 7mm-08s.

P

Ok plans changed.

Got them jumping .025. They fit and cycle perfect in a m+ tikka mag.

Loaded some up with staball 6.5 and some with varget.
Looking forward to see how this goes for you also, great minds think alike haha

On the shoot2hunt podcast @Ryan Avery has said multiple times that in 7mm the eld-X performs much worse teeminally than in other calibers. Maybe he can speak to the best killing bullets at 7mm08 velocities...I'm asking selfishly 😜

If we can talk for a moment about the 162 eldx out of a 7mm Rem Mag, in response to the above statement, I must say that my experience is much different than “worse terminally than in other calibers.”

This fella took one 162 at about 150 yards, died before I could count to 10.

IMG_0116.jpeg

This lovely lady also took one 162, at about 300 yards, DRT.

IMG_2113.jpeg

This girl took one 162 at 375, dead before I could count to eight.

20200829_071517.jpeg

The bullet center punched the humerus just below the shoulder knuckle, blew through ribs, lungs, offside ribs, and stopped just under the hide.

IMG_4592.jpeg

IMG_4589.jpeg

Looked like this:

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

It’s the only bullet we’ve recovered, 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem Mag. Don’t know how I could ask for more, unless it field dresses, quarters, and packs the meat back to the truck.

P

Following up. Did not get a chance to shoot the varget loads so that will have to be another day. I did get to shoot the staball loads and overall I’m happy, but I did have some weird, seemingly random, pressure spikes. Will continue to play with this and see how it goes. Top end velocity was 2820 in my 22” barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpeg
    IMG_5469.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5470.jpeg
    IMG_5470.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5471.jpeg
    IMG_5471.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5462.jpeg
    IMG_5462.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5468.jpeg
    IMG_5468.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 18
Are you really surprised at the pressure spikes at 2820fps?
Didn’t have any at 2820.

Had them at lower charge weights and was surprised to see 2 shots that were fine, followed by one with a pressure spike. Then nothing on the next charge weight up.

Typically when I see pressure it’s consistent and all 3 shots will show pressure.

Didn’t have any at 2820.

Had them at lower charge weights and was surprised to see 2 shots that were fine, followed by one with a pressure spike. Then nothing on the next charge weight up.

Typically when I see pressure it’s consistent and all 3 shots will show pressure.
I may have missed this, but is this a 22" barrel?

Awesome, same set up as mine then. I apprecaite your sharing the load data and velocites. Hoping to repeat in mine soon. Planning to get it threaded in next couple weeks and maybe, just maybe, get my can out of jail. Its only been 8 months so far...
I’m using alpha brass so I’m not sure how others would handle the same pressures. Actually planning to switch to Peterson at some point. I haven’t been real impressed with longevity on this batch of alpha brass with my standard load of 150 tgk @ 2700fps.

I’m using alpha brass so I’m not sure how others would handle the same pressures. Actually planning to switch to Peterson at some point. I haven’t been real impressed with longevity on this batch of alpha brass with my standard load of 150 tgk @ 2700fps.
I'm using 1x fired Federal .308 brass, and I plan to start at 45g of SB and check for pressure.

Back