7mm-08 Loading - New Rifle

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I loaded big game under 140 grain nosler bullets, and hate it!! It’s accurate it has good speed, but that crap gets everywhere when metering!! EVERYWHERE!!

120gr and varget from here on out.
Interesting. We'll see if I can keep it as a clean process.

Toolman, A little late to the party for the first powders you mentioned but the IMR 4831 will work well with the heavier bullets 150 Grain and up with the 7mm-08. I loaded 150 Grain partitions with it and they shot pretty well but not as accurate as the 140 grainers and varget. Recoil is stouter with the heavier bullets to so not good if shooting a lighter rifle. I haven't used 4350 (H or IMR) to reload for any caliber that I shoot however, a good friend of mine had decent luck with the H4350 and the 7mm-08. He ended up going down the varget path as well.
Sounds like you have a game plan and I wish you well. I find that the hodgdon site is helpful in pondering Powder questions. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Which powder dispensers are you guys using and do they meter ball powders well?

I've not used Ramshot Big Game, but my cheapo Lee Perfect Powder Measure did alright with H414 recently. Not sure if Big Ge is finer, but I'll know in a few days if it works.

rbi2210

FNG
I don’t have the exact numbers off hand but my load is 46.5 grains of H414, Hornady 139 grain Interlock SP, seated as long as my Tika T3 magazine will allow. It’s not a max load and I’m sure I could get a little more velo and accuracy but it shoots .75” at 100 yards when I do my part. Since I already had a bunch of H414, I settled on this load rather than spending the money on trying different powders. Never had any terminal performance issues on PA white tails.

I’ll throw another rl 15 on the pile, or in my case its actually norma 203b. I have had exceptional results with that powder and 120 ttsx

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I want to thank everyone for the info. I will be definitely use it as a reference book should the Big Game not shoot well. Should be able to start loading on Saturday and maybe send some down range Sunday. Always fun working on building a load for a new caliber.

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I load for four 7-08 rifles. I really like the IMR4350 and both 139 hornadys and 140 accubond. 46g works very nicely. I have also loaded Big Game with the accubond. Faster but never have found the sweet spot.

Ringtail

FNG
I’ve been wanting to do a similar thing with my wife. She shot my fathers 6.5 creedmoor and loved it but she thinks my 7mm-08 140 is a little more snappy. What is the recoil like with 7mm-08 120 grain? Is it comparable to the Creedmoor?

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Would just come down to rifle weight, powder charge weight and bullet weight between the two. I've noticed 120s feel a little lighter in recoil but not enough to make me shoot them better or prefer them.

I’ve been wanting to do a similar thing with my wife. She shot my fathers 6.5 creedmoor and loved it but she thinks my 7mm-08 140 is a little more snappy. What is the recoil like with 7mm-08 120 grain? Is it comparable to the Creedmoor?
It’s be about the same. Could just put a Limbsaver on it and call it good.