7mm and 223 recommendation

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
How’s it going. I’m looking to set up two rifles - one ideally in 7PRC and the other in 223. Both dedicated suppressed so I’m looking for 20-22” for the 7PRC and 18-20” for 223. both as light as I can get - would prefer factory for simplicity not having to deal with custom gun lead times or prices. I’ve got two bushnell scopes already - LRHS and LRTS 4.5-18 on hand (which are close enough to the same).

The goal is to have both set up as close to each other as possible - and use the 223 version as a trainer and something to hunt with paired with 77 TMK on the east coast for hogs, deer, coyotes. The other would be the one I break out less frequently- as it would be mostly for elk, mule deer, moose etc. as my hunts allow for. Much like my current 300 PRC - it wouldn’t be a high volume gun - so having the ability to shoot something set up similarly is my goal. I’ve also got two young boys and I figure the 223 is an easier option to get into for them hunting.

I’ve looked at a bunch of options - and while I love Tikka and have owned three now - I don’t see a factory offering other than the CTR for a short 223 option. I also don’t see a shorter barrel for the 7mm (and no current 7PRC option other than prefit/replacement barrels).

Bergara seems to get a bit of hate recently for QC- I’ve had good success in the past but don’t want to pick something up that is going to give me issues immediately.

The browning x-bolt speed SR seem a great option - but I know people talk about the lack of aftermarket and limited gunsmith options. That being said - it would probably be a while before I shot out a barrel in 223 - and even longer for 7PRC and the annual round count. So it may be a non-issue

Are there any other options I’m missing or not considering? Thanks!

atmat

WKR
I’d still go Tikka stainless lite on the 223 and just chop to desired length.

While I would never personally shoot a 7PRC, I’d buy a Tikka action and order a barrel to your liking to spin on. It’s super easy.

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’d still go Tikka stainless lite on the 223 and just chop to desired length.

While I would never personally shoot a 7PRC, I’d buy a Tikka action and order a barrel to your liking to spin on. It’s super easy.
I’m open to other calibers - but the idea is one that still has enough energy at 7-800 for big game. And 7PRC seems the better option for shorter barrels - but open to other suggestions.

Yea chopping and threading still requires time and extra cost which isn’t a huge deal but not preferable if there are options out the gate

I just built a 7PRC 20" carbon on Tikka action. Spent way too much money and I won't admit that I should have just bought a Sako S20 from Eurooptic for $1k in 6.5PRC.

You should just buy a Sako S20 from Eurooptic for $1k.

Look at the ballistics and ACTUAL 7PRC muzzle velocities. Look at range of both using 1800fps as a limit on dope charts with your choice of ELD's. I think 6.5PRC might be lethal on paper further than my 7PRC using factory ammo.

Tikka T3X compact for the 223, no question.

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I just built a 7PRC 20" carbon on Tikka action. Spent way too much money and I won't admit that I should have just bought a Sako S20 from Eurooptic for $1k in 6.5PRC.

You should just buy a Sako S20 from Eurooptic for $1k.

Look at the ballistics and ACTUAL 7PRC muzzle velocities. Look at range of both using 1800fps as a limit on dope charts with your choice of ELD's. I think 6.5PRC might be lethal on paper further than my 7PRC using factory ammo.

Tikka T3X compact for the 223, no question.
That’s kind of my point with the custom guns - if factory guns shoot and work out the gate - especially for around 1k - why bother with full custom builds if not to shoot a specific caliber not offered.

I’m not against the sako option - out the gate it’s a 24” barrel which I would have to chop down (not unlike the 223) but additionally it looks like it’s 1lb heavier than a lot of other offerings.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m open to other calibers - but the idea is one that still has enough energy at 7-800 for big game. And 7PRC seems the better option for shorter barrels - but open to other suggestions.

Ft-lbs if energy is not a sounding mechanism, tells you nothing about how deep, how wide, or the overall shape a wound will be. It is a functionally useless metric.

Yea chopping and threading still requires time and extra cost which isn’t a huge deal but not preferable if there are options out the gate

A $700 rifle with $200 worth of cutting and threading with a two week turnaround that is perfectly functional, is a whole lot better than a $1,200 rifle that is compromised on multiple fronts. 7 PRC is probably not the answer for you, however Tikka is.

This is currently $640.

This gets you a $75 rebate.

That's a 223 compact (the best option for what you're looking at w/ adjustable LOP) for $565. That's a hell of a deal.

raw.gif

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Ft-lbs if energy is not a sounding mechanism, tells you nothing about how deep, how wide, or the overall shape a wound will be. It is a functionally useless metric.
so is your take that only speed and bullet selection are the metrics to go by?

270quest

WKR
If I was you and wanted a bigger 7 - I would buy a Tikka 7 rem mag and a Tikka 223. You can set them up identically as far as optics, vertical grip, etc.

atmat

WKR

My 16.5” 6creed gets me to 600 yards while still maintaining enough velocity to kill.

A 6.5creed or prc increases that distance a bit as well. You don’t need a 7prc.

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My 16.5” 6creed gets me to 600 yards while still maintaining enough velocity to kill.

A 6.5creed or prc increases that distance a bit as well. You don’t need a 7prc.
I’m not married to 7mm PRC necessarily- but I’ve just seen what it can do on multiple animals in the last two months which is why it was at the top of my list for a new rifle. I’d happily do a 20” 6.5 PRC which would get a little more distance.

ElPollo

WKR
I’m not married to 7mm PRC necessarily- but I’ve just seen what it can do on multiple animals in the last two months which is why it was at the top of my list for a new rifle. I’d happily do a 20” 6.5 PRC which would get a little more distance.
Do yourself a big favor before spend your money and read the 223 for bear, elk, moose thread, the 243/6mm thread and the 6.5 thread. Lots of good info there on bullets and wound channels from smaller calibers with less recoil.

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Do yourself a big favor before spend your money and read the 223
You mean the 223 thread on here? I have. It’s what got me on the topic. Certain states don’t allow for hunting with .223 - so I want to have options on the shelf. The 223 would get a brunt of the usage both for training and hunting.

ElPollo

WKR
You mean the 223 thread on here? I have. It’s what got me on the topic. Certain states don’t allow for hunting with .223 - so I want to have options on the shelf. The 223 would get a brunt of the usage both for training and hunting.
Yeah sorry. Hit send on my phone before I finished typing. If a 223 is legal for big game where you hunt, buy one and use it. If not or if you might hunt somewhere where it’s not, look at the 6-6.5cm. Not much need to go bigger.

amassi

WKR

If you hunt at elevation above about 3000’ the 223 and 6.5 creedmoor in tikkas cut and threaded will cover your bases out to your intended range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk