7mm and 223 recommendation

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I wouldn’t discount the 7SAUM if you really want a 7mm. It’s a hard hitter and can shoot up to 180s with the right reamer.

Yes on the 223 lol
Yeah but then I either have to load myself or get custom loads from UM or copper creek. I’d prefer factory ammo. As much as I hate to admit it- someone mentioned 30-06 and for once it actually made a little sense. That being said - I’ll probably stick with the 6.5 prc option at 20-22 inches

jimh406

WKR
Yeah I’m gathering that. Need to find a decent smith to chop both down.
I haven't used their services, but Silencer Central lists cut and redrawn in the barrel threading service. Obviously, they are invested in making sure the threading is done right. They might be worth checking with since their prices are very reasonable .. at least to me.

Real bummer that Tikka doesn't import 6.5 prc in the lite config. Would be an easy solution for you. No flies on 7/08 but I wouldn't want an 18" 7/08 with your stated range goals. That said, most people have no business shooting animals a 700 yards anyway.

OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Real bummer that Tikka doesn't import 6.5 prc in the lite config. Would be an easy solution for you. No flies on 7/08 but I wouldn't want an 18" 7/08 with your stated range goals. That said, most people have no business shooting animals a 700 yards anyway.
They have it in the veil or rough tech - a little more money unfortunately but I found a 6.5 prc rough tech for 970 before rebate that I might just snag

atmat

WKR
Yeah I’m gathering that. Need to find a decent smith to chop both down.
Class 3 Machining in Dallas is very high quality, incredibly affordable, with a quick turnaround time. Can’t recommend them enough.

Yeah but then I either have to load myself or get custom loads from UM or copper creek. I’d prefer factory ammo. As much as I hate to admit it- someone mentioned 30-06 and for once it actually made a little sense. That being said - I’ll probably stick with the 6.5 prc option at 20-22 inches
Yeah if you are wanting factory, 7SAUM isn’t the way to go. The more I look at the capability of the 3006 the more I think I need one!

Unknown Munitions is the easy button. I have them load 162gr ELD-M bullets for my 7RM in Peterson/ADG brass.

Hornady 7mm Rem Mag Precision hunter is $57/per 20 rounds at Midway. So with shipping it's $300/100 or $3.00 per round. Unknown Munitions is $376/100 or $3.76 per round. They will reload the brass Peterson/ADG for you which makes the initial purchase worth it.

Last edited:
OP
Ajsomp

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Funny, been thinking the same thing, but I have been looking at the Ruger Ranch in 223, 16.5" takes ar mags, and the Ruger Go Wild in 7 prc....
I love ruger Americans - their accuracy and price point are great (owned 5 now)- but no comparing tikkas actions to the ruger action.

I love ruger Americans - their accuracy and price point are great (owned 5 now)- but no comparing tikkas actions to the ruger action.
Agreed 100%, but what Im thinking, it is almost 2 for the price of 1 lol, least till ya figure out what ya really want, and for me, that changes daily lol.......must be why I have 4 different shotguns with slug barrels lol.....

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
thoughts on an 7 SAUM is it hard to get brass ? why is it better than the 7 WSM ?
I'd do a 7SS (Sherman Short) before either of those. He sells his own brass and its always in stock. Best short action 7mm option out there. If I'd have known about it before I got a 280AI I'd have gone that route for sure. But, if you want a production caliber 7SAUM brass is not hard to find. It's a good round for sure.