7mm PRC & N570

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I have a load I like with 168LRX 67.5g RL26 2974fps, but can't find RL26 anywhere, so looking at switching to N5??, curious what folks would recommend as the best "similar" powder N560, N565, or N570? I have no experience with any of those.
I agree with the post above. Of the N5XX powders the N565 is likely the best suited for the 7prc. That being said I’m having pretty good results with the N570. Just have to use an electric toothbrush to settle the powder.

If you’re not hung up on the N5XX powders, Retumbo might also be worth a shot. It shoots fantastic in my 7 rem mag. H1000 also seems to be a staple for the prc.

philcox

WKR
I agree with the post above. Of the N5XX powders the N565 is likely the best suited for the 7prc. That being said I’m having pretty good results with the N570. Just have to use an electric toothbrush to settle the powder.

If you’re not hung up on the N5XX powders, Retumbo might also be worth a shot. It shoots fantastic in my 7 rem mag. H1000 also seems to be a staple for the prc.
H1000 didn't seem to get the velocity I wanted with the 168 LRX. I am in Cali, so have to shoot mono. Kind of weird to me that RL26 gave me 100fps more velocity than H1000. I tried Ramshot Magnum, but groups not as good as RL26 at similar velocities. I may just shoot up my RL26, and if I can find more before I need it, use that, and if not, give N565 a shot. It's a bit cheaper than the Hogdon stuff, and if it works as well. Time will tell. Thx for the info. I am not much into the "toothbrush" method at this point. I hope to get lucky and find some RL26 or a Leprechaun with a pot of gold ...

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider

It’s looking like you’re having some pretty good luck with that shorter barrel. What is your coal?

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
It’s looking like you’re having some pretty good luck with that shorter barrel. What is your coal?
3.3375. Obviously with bullet variations the coal is kind of useless though. Cbto is much more repeatable. These end up at 2.5935

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
3.3375. Obviously with bullet variations the coal is kind of useless though. Cbto is much more repeatable. These end up at 2.5935
Thanks for the info. So they fit in a factory Tikka mag without any issues?

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Thanks for the info. So they fit in a factory Tikka mag without any issues?
Yup. No problem fitting in mine but they’re about as long as you can get them. Thought I’d need the mountain tactical mags but ended up selling them and staying with the Tikka mags.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Yup. No problem fitting in mine but they’re about as long as you can get them. Thought I’d need the mountain tactical mags but ended up selling them and staying with the Tikka mags.
Perfect! I’ve been following your info on loads. I’m waiting on my 20 inch 7PRC to be built by UM. I’m hoping to get somewhere around 2900fps with a 180 grain ELDM.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Perfect! I’ve been following your info on loads. I’m waiting on my 20 inch 7PRC to be built by UM. I’m hoping to get somewhere around 2900fps with a 180 grain ELDM.
That would be a sweet combo. Make sure to post results

Bleeb

FNG

I can't find the RL26 pixie dust anywhere, so I am ordering a few pounds of N565 to try with the 175gr ABLRs out of my 22" Proof barrel. After running a few scenarios through GRT, it seems to bee the best balance between case fill, burn, and velocity. I'm sure it'll be accurate. Vihtavouri says it splits the difference between N560 and N570, but is closer to N570.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I think I lucked out with a fast barrel. I’ve seen other peoples loads going 1-1.5 grains higher with less velocity.
Yeah you’re 130fps faster than my 18” with a 180 hybrid at 73gr. I’d definitely be happy with that

Bleeb

FNG
I just ran N565 in my 7PRC, 22" proof barrel, using Nosler 175gr ABLRs. Best results were with 69.7gr at ~2924fps with an ED of 4 (five shot is a small sample size, but still.....). Group was a touch over under .75", but it was gusty. 69 gr. opened up to about an inch, at ~2887fps with an ES of 12.

I'm going to pull some 175gr ELD-Xs I handloaded with 71.1gr Staball HD (~2900fps) last fall and see how they run with N565. I have 8#, so I sure hope it works, LOL!

I also got some Magpro at 69.3gr, which also shot well, albeit a tad slower at 2850fps. As recommended by Nosler, I seated the ABLRs too deep - 50 thou of the lands. I would guess that I'd get comparable speeds if I poked them out and added a few tenths more pow pow.