7mm SAW Questions

wabash503

FNG
RS Nation!

Couple questions for you guys...

1. If you currently own/shoot a 7 SAW, what MVs are you seeing? Can you post some photos from your chronos?

2. Which gunsmith's did you use to have your chambers cut? Just WTxOrd or others?

Big thx in advance!

EmperorMA

WKR
No help with your questions, I'm afraid. I'm just tagging in to see what kind of responses you get as this cartridge makes a great deal of sense to me as something that can be used for hunting with the 162 ELD-M or 162 ELD-X.

I don't have a SAW, but I do have a 7-08AI. While they are not 100% identical, I believe they are close enough that you should be able to draw some conclusions if you are still on the fence about building one.

Mine is built with a 20" Bartlein barrel and I can get 2808 fps shooting a 162 grain ELD-X with 43.0 grains of Varget, a CCI200 primer and Lapua brass. This is a max load in my rifle, so work up. My current hunting load is 48.5 grains of H4350, a Win LR primer, and the same Lapua brass pushing a 150 grain Nosler ABLR at 2786 fps. I have room to go up, but that load shoots so good, I haven't felt the need.

AkRyan

WKR
Just out of curiosity why are folks doing these "improved" 708 builds to gain 100fps?? Factory hornady 150g eldx hit 2800 in 20in barrels for me. I've loaded 162g and got 2750 with sub moa grouping. The logical step would be a 7saum, then your getting 250fps more and the ability to go even heavier.

OP
W

wabash503

FNG
Just out of curiosity why are folks doing these "improved" 708 builds to gain 100fps?? Factory hornady 150g eldx hit 2800 in 20in barrels for me. I've loaded 162g and got 2750 with sub moa grouping. The logical step would be a 7saum, then your getting 250fps more and the ability to go even heavier.
Can't speak for everyone... But low recoil is a big factor for me. Improves accuracy, follow through, spotting impact, and ability to follow up. And then ballistically, it gives me 1600+ ft-lbs to 500y, which is all I need for the animals I hunt.

And then compared to a 7 SAUM, brass is super easy to reload, since you're just bumping the shoulder back and tightening the neck on 308... Whereas 7 SAUM is a lot more expensive pretty piece and pretty hard to find consistently. Lastly, it's 30% less powder than 7 SAUM, which is your second highest cost per round reloading.

I still see the benefit of 7 SAUM for those that shoot it... But for me, the 7 SAW has more advantages

Last edited:

AkRyan

WKR
But what are the advantages over a standard 7mm08? Is it worth the extra effort in building a custom rifle? We can load down the 7saum to match 708 recoil bit you can't load up 7saw/08/ai to match the 7saum. I'm just curious is all and not bashing anyone's choice to build the rifle they want.

OP
W

wabash503

FNG
But what are the advantages over a standard 7mm08? Is it worth the extra effort in building a custom rifle? We can load down the 7saum to match 708 recoil bit you can't load up 7saw/08/ai to match the 7saum. I'm just curious is all and not bashing anyone's choice to build the rifle they want.
From what I know about the 7-08, it's a slower twist rate, so it doesn't handle the heavier, high-bc bullets as well, and the 30* shoulder allows for longer bullets at caliber depth seating.

And those things add up to less energy delivered down range.

grfox92

WKR
I have questions about the 7SAW as well...

How does a .308 based cartridge utilize a Small Rifle Primer?

Why does it use a small rifle primer?

What .308 brass has a SRP?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR

Most 308 based cartridge brass is available in both SRP and LRP. It's whatever the brass maker wants to make. Or both.
Lapua, Alpha, adg, peterson off the top of my head make every 308 and 6.5cm based cartridge in SRP and LRP.
There's a small advantage to SRP brass if you want to run it overpressure, like the SAW is. Otherwise, pick the one that you can get primers of.

EmperorMA

WKR
From what I know about the 7-08, it's a slower twist rate, so it doesn't handle the heavier, high-bc bullets as well, and the 30* shoulder allows for longer bullets at caliber depth seating.

And those things add up to less energy velocity delivered down range.
Energy doesn't matter. Impact velocity and bullet construction do.

The longer, sleeker bullets fired from the 7mm SAW will have a larger window of effective range than a standard 7mm-08.

grfox92

WKR
Most 308 based cartridge brass is available in both SRP and LRP. It's whatever the brass maker wants to make. Or both.
Lapua, Alpha, adg, peterson off the top of my head make every 308 and 6.5cm based cartridge in SRP and LRP.
There's a small advantage to SRP brass if you want to run it overpressure, like the SAW is. Otherwise, pick the one that you can get primers of.
That's interesting. I had no idea and I load for .308

The main reason for me is that I can (and did) have mine built specifically throated for the 160 class bullets, as well as twisted at 1-8.7, and finally at minimum headspace. What that means is that using an M+ magazine in my Tikka action, I can load 160 class bullets out further than a standard 7-08. On top of that, using quality brass (Lapua for me), I can use a bushing die and just neck size. I am on firing #8 on one set of my brass and I have yet to have to size the body, or trim the brass.
Again, while my velocities posted above are not that impressive when compared to a standard 7-08, if I wanted to, I could get another 100 fps out of that 162 load with a bit of work and most likely a powder change. For the 150 load, I could probably get another 125 just by working up what I already have. That puts me in 280 Remington territory, which while it still isn't a SAUM, is pretty dang impressive.

Gorp2007

WKR

This article talks about the perceived benefits, I use SRP brass in my 6.5CM because I’ve got over 5K of them and they’re easier to find than LRP.

grfox92

WKR

This article talks about the perceived benefits, I use SRP brass in my 6.5CM because I’ve got over 5K of them and they’re easier to find than LRP.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm looking to get a 6.5CM and was thinking I should get srp brass as everywhere has sr primers in stock and they are cheap.

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
There are reported issues of some people having hangfires with SRP at very low temperatures. Just something to be aware of, if I take mine elk hunting I’ll probably switch to the LRP brass I’ve got laying around, but for target work it’s been fine.