7mm STW

wyosteve

WKR
I'm considering picking up a 7 mm STW, but am having a heck of a time finding ammo or brass, other than overpriced GB. So, I guess I'm wondering if it's a dying caliber and not worth pursuing. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen some on the shelves of Sportsman’s Warehouse stores in Montana and Wyoming but haven’t checked recently. It’s an awesome cartridge but definitely easier if you reload.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
It’s never been an easy round to get ammo for. I always check midway when I am looking for it.

Do you reload?

I feel like it's a requirement with that cartridge.

Which brings up I might have stuff I'd sell, cause I'm starting to think it's too much headache and I'll go a different direction.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
I do some reloading when necessary if I can’t find my preferred factory loads. But I’m not a fanatic reloader.

wapitibob

WKR
I've had one for a decade. You need to reload in my opinion. I was switching to 28 Nosler and had all the components but decided to use the same reload strategy for the stw and it worked out; 195 Bergers and N570. It's a barrel burner though. I buy nosler blem brass once/year when it comes out, bullets, powder, and primers have been pretty easy to get.

The 7PRC is the easy button, decent speed with semi heavies and way less powder than the stw.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for all the insight. I decided to pass on the STW I was interested in. For me, the cons (hard to find ammo, brass and the need to pretty much reload all the time) outweighed the pros. Appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me.

davsco

WKR
what a shame that such an awesome cartridge has pretty much gone away.

the 7 prc ain't no slouch though and has at least a full page of ammo on ammoseek under $50/box before shipping and tax..