7mm08 119 Absolute hammer

If you get on the hammer forum on their website, under reloading, you should be able to find a spreadsheet with load data guys have been using with the absolute hammers.

You will want a pretty fast powder, you’re probably going to want something in the Varget to H4895 burn rate.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I used H4350 with the 120 HH and it worked great. I'm not sure about the AH, different profile? Great bullets.

Ddubs20

FNG
The only loads in there are 45.0 TAC,and 45.0 leverevolution. Around 3000FPS, I would stick in that burn rate area, maybe benchmark, 8208xbr

MThuntr

WKR
Personally, I'd go with the 120HH and use Varget or one of it's copies. It's just a more efficient bullet with a more stable powder.

Yes. The profile is such ogive does not contact the lands. You can use a fast powder for the cartridge to achieve higher velocities.
For 7-08, Staball 6.5 and Big Game Hunter deliver some of the fastest velocities.

FWIW, I've been loading some 120 Nosler NBT lately to pressure test with SB 6.5, and the powder is in the case neck at 51 and near the top at 53. According to the Hodgdon reloading data, 53 is max compressed. I haven't had a chance to test pressure, and I'm starting at 51 in my Tikka. YMMV

Last edited:
For 7-08, Staball 6.5 and Big Game Hunter deliver some of the fastest velocities.

FWIW, I've been loading some 120 Nosler NBT lately to pressure test with SB 6.5, and the powder is in the case neck at 51 and near the top at 53. According to the Hodgdon reloading data, 53 is max compressed. I haven't had a chance to test pressure, and I'm starting at 51 in my Tikka. YMMV

I’m guessing these are too slow for optimal velocities with the absolute hammers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no expert, but I know Varget delivers lower velocity than these 2 for 120 class bullets on up in 7-08.
I’m not arguing with traditional bullets. The AH use a fast burn rate for cartridge powder because they have less bearing surface than traditional bullets. I believe the powders you listed are in the 4350-4831 burn rate, which would be too slow for maximizing velocity with the AH.

I’m not arguing with traditional bullets. The AH use a fast burn rate for cartridge powder because they have less bearing surface than traditional bullets. I believe the powders you listed are in the 4350-4831 burn rate, which would be too slow for maximizing velocity with the AH.
Got it and thank you for explaining that. It wasn’t making sense that bullets of roughly the same weight would react so differently. I may give them a try!

Got it and thank you for explaining that. It wasn’t making sense that bullets of roughly the same weight would react so differently. I may give them a try!
It’s always worth contacting Steve at Hammer for recommendations. Sometimes you also have to play with magnum vs standard primers for best results. I am getting 3100 fps with 123 AH in my 6.5 CM.