6.8 FFT

Looking for starting load data for a christensen FFT 6.8 western.
wanting to use for whitetail and possible elk.
Most data it seems are with the longer barrels and the FFT is 20".
Wanting to stay in the 160 - 170 gr range of bullet wt.
Considering the ELDX, hammer, and accubond.
Also powder choices for the shorter barrel.

Any input much appreciated.

I wouldn't do anything different due to barrel length other than subtract 25 fps per inch shorter than the barrel in the data you're looking at and choose a starting point based on your desired ballistics.

Gila

WKR
I am just starting to load this cartridge….The 165 LRAB seems to come together in the 6.8 West. I have a 24” inch barrel. I think a double base powder toward the slow burn range might give you what you want for your barrel using an LRAB or ELD. I am going to start with Retumbo and Ramshot Magnum. I am using the Hodgdon load data.

Last edited:

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Loading for a buddy’s 6.8 western. 24” barrel. He’s reloads are getting good accuracy at 2860 fps from 63 gr h1000 and 165 lrab. We worked up and didn’t see any pressure signs. He said his factory ammo is around 100 fps faster and wanting to try Ramshot magnum to try to reach that speed. But we haven’t seen any magnum in stock lately to try. Will be keeping an eye on here for what’s working for others as well.

Gila

WKR
Loading for a buddy’s 6.8 western. 24” barrel. He’s reloads are getting good accuracy at 2860 fps from 63 gr h1000 and 165 lrab. We worked up and didn’t see any pressure signs. He said his factory ammo is around 100 fps faster and wanting to try Ramshot magnum to try to reach that speed. But we haven’t seen any magnum in stock lately to try. Will be keeping an eye on here for what’s working for others as well.
MagPro is close if you can’t find RS Magnum.

gerry35

WKR
I'm just starting to reload for mine but it's a 24" barrel. For your 20" barrel I would still shoot the same powders anyway. Looking at Hodgdon's data Magnum, Magpro, Stabal HD, Retumbo and H 1000 look awesome. Other powders look good but those will give more speed. I have Magpro and Magnum for mine so far.