7PRC Chassis Rifle Build

BrianS

FNG
Hey everyone,

I want a lightweight chassis hunting rifle in 7PRC. I have decided on a XLR Element 4.0 chassis. What I am looking for is recommendations for a rifle to swap the stock out for the chassis. I can get the chassis for about $1100 and was looking to spent up to another $1500 on the rifle to drop into it. I have considered the Weatherby 307 Range XP, Savage 110 Ultralite, and Brownells has a Christensen Ridgeline barreled action. I’m not set on a carbon fiber barrel. I have apprehensions with the Christensen due to their quality control issues. I know the Weatherby and Savage have versions that come in a MDT chassis, but I could buy their regular versions and the XLR (or MDT for that matter) chassis for less money than they want with it already in it. I have also considered the Bergara MG Lite, but couldn’t find many reviews on it. I love my Bergara HMR Pro in .300 Win Mag, but it’s a heavy rifle. I hope to do some western hunts with this rifle. Thanks for the input!

OP
B

BrianS

FNG
I have nothing against Tikka and know a bunch of people love them, but they don’t have any 7 PRC offerings at this time.

I have nothing against Tikka and know a bunch of people love them, but they don’t have any 7 PRC offerings at this time.
You could do a tikka action and buy a nice carbon prefit and still stay close to your original $1500 budget. Just need a long action magnum bolt face.

OP
B

BrianS

FNG
You could do a tikka action and buy a nice carbon prefit and still stay close to your original $1500 budget. Just need a long action magnum bolt face.
Any recommendations on a good place to buy the Tikka action? Also, what prefit would you recommend? I’m ok going slightly over the $1500 budget, but not much. Thanks.

Any recommendations on a good place to buy the Tikka action? Also, what prefit would you recommend? I’m ok going slightly over the $1500 budget, but not much. Thanks.
I believe there’s a few places online that sell tikka actions, you can also just buy any long action magnum tikka and sell the barrel. I personally like proof carbon barrels. You can find tikka prefits pretty easy if you search online.

DSC_1016.jpeg

Sharing mine as you’ll be building a very similar rig to what I did. I just went with a defiance action but tikka is totally fine as well. Also, to save money, XLR does a really good sale on Black Friday if you are okay with waiting until November.

OP
B

BrianS

FNG
View attachment 694027

Sharing mine as you’ll be building a very similar rig to what I did. I just went with a defiance action but tikka is totally fine as well. Also, to save money, XLR does a really good sale on Black Friday if you are okay with waiting until November.
Looks great! Which defiance action did you get?

Looks great! Which defiance action did you get?
I did the anti. It’s lighter and cheaper than the anTi X. The benefit of the X is the rail is built into the receiver so no chance of bolts getting lose on your rail.

Go to some local pawn shops and look for used Tikkas chambered in 7RM/300WM/270WSM/300WSM.

You can also buy new blued T3X lite in 7RM or 300WM for $750 or the stainless model for $850 from most FFL.

Otherwise American Rifle Co makes their Coup De Grace action that is $899 then you buy a trigger and a prefit barrel from PVA. You can likely get all of it direct from PVA.

OP
B

BrianS

FNG
Go to some local pawn shops and look for used Tikkas chambered in 7RM/300WM/270WSM/300WSM.

You can also buy new blued T3X lite in 7RM or 300WM for $750 or the stainless model for $850 from most FFL.

Otherwise American Rifle Co makes their Coup De Grace action that is $899 then you buy a trigger and a prefit barrel from PVA. You can likely get all of it direct from PVA.
What’s PVA? Thanks for the info.

SloppyJ

WKR
What’s PVA? Thanks for the info.
Patriot Valley Arms. I've never shot one of their barrels but they seem to be well received.

I'd recommend picking up a custom action for around 900. A Zermatt Origin, ARC coup de grace or any others with a swappable bolt head. That's a key point in value, at least to me.

I bet you could save the extra few hundred bucks on finding a used chassis or waiting for a sale.

Going this route will set you up to be as future proof as possible. With the swappable bolt head, for a couple hundred bucks and a new barrel, you can run whatever cartridge you want.

Tweber

FNG
View attachment 694027

What barrel did you use. I have Defiance anti and sm going to biuld very similar rifle

What barrel did you use. I have Defiance anti and sm going to biuld very similar rifle
I went with a proof Sendero 22”. You can find pre-fits from Stocky’s in the 22-24” range. Anything shorter you’ll generally have to buy a blank and have someone chamber it for you.

Double check on which magazines you can use for which chassis you choose, for example iirc the Tikka la hnt 26 for 7mag you can only use a 7oz metal mag which sucks for a long action lightweight build. You can use a 1 oz polymer mag on tikka short action builds and I think 700 builds you can use lighter weight magazines so just something to take a look at before you commit

Article 4

WKR
All good recommendations - keep in mind if you intend on making any changes to that set up, like perhaps a lighter carbon stock later on etc...for actions like the Tikka and a few others, since they are not designed on the Remington footprint, finding Tikka specific components and things can sometimes be a challenge.