85mm Razor vs 65mm ATS at lowlight

I have had a gen 1 85 mm razor for quite a while now. Really love it. I am getting tired of carrying it around the mountains in my backpack however. Thinking hard about going to the 65 mm swaro ATS to cut down on weight and have better glass. I know the 85 mm Razor has a much bigger objective lens so it should be brighter. However, wondering if the quality of glass in the swaro makes up for it in low light situations. Does anyone have any experience relative to this?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Haven’t even looked through a Swaro 65.

But compared my 65 Razor to the 85 a few weeks back and took back the 85. I either had a bad sample or simply couldn’t find a single reason to keep it over the 65. Both Gen I btw. I have to image the 65 swaro is better than the 85.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Haven’t even looked through a Swaro 65.

But compared my 65 Razor to the 85 a few weeks back and took back the 85. I either had a bad sample or simply couldn’t find a single reason to keep it over the 65. Both Gen I btw. I have to image the 65 swaro is better than the 85.
Were you looking through them in the store or outside in low light?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Outside. For a good amount of time using Air Force optic charts. Was hoping for more.

Fwiw I’ve done thorough reviews on probably two dozen optics at this point. Not saying I didn’t miss something. Not saying it wasn’t as good or maybe a smidge better. But nothing worth the size and weight for sure.

Last edited:
OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Outside. For a good amount of time using Air Force optic charts. Was hoping for more.

Fwiw I’ve done thorough reviews on probably two dozen optics at this point. Not saying I didn’t miss something. Not saying it was as good or maybe a smidge better. But nothing worth the size and weight for sure.
Thanks for the response!

Hnthrdr

WKR

Fwiw I’ve done thorough reviews on probably two dozen optics at this point. Not saying I didn’t miss something. Not saying it wasn’t as good or maybe a smidge better. But nothing worth the size and weight for sure.
Ever put the gen 1 vs the gen 2 razor both in 65’s?

I went from a gen 1 85mm razor to a 65mm ats (25-50x).

You will not miss your razor.
There is a noticeable difference in brightness at first and last light, it is noticeable but not significant.

The increased quality of resolution in the swaro does indeed seem to compensate for the difference in objective lens size (the light gathering ability).

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I went from a gen 1 85mm razor to a 65mm ats (25-50x).

You will not miss your razor.
There is a noticeable difference in brightness at first and last light, it is noticeable but not significant.

The increased quality of resolution in the swaro does indeed seem to compensate for the difference in objective lens size (the light gathering ability).
At first and last light are you saying the 85 was noticeably brighter or the swaro 65 was brighter?