Next step from a Razor 65mm?

I had a gen 1 16-48x65 vortex razor for a few years and overall it served me well. At one point I was using it to gauge a size of a buck at about a mile away (measured with on x). Not counting inches just seeing if it was worth going after

But the clarity of the upper end of the magnification really wasn’t very useable.

Not sure I want to jump straight to a swaro STS/ATS because I don’t use spotters all that much since I have meopta 8x42 and SLC 15x56. I prefer to use both eyes when glassing

Any suggestions for the next step up that may be useable at upper magnification? I’ve been eyeing the Kowa 554 but with a small objective, not sure how much better it would be than the 65 razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I went from the Razor 65 to the Kowa 554 earlier this year. Happy with the upgrade for a "take a closer look" backpack spotter. Very clear out to 45x in the right conditions.

OP
T
I went from the Razor 65 to the Kowa 554 earlier this year. Happy with the upgrade for a "take a closer look" backpack spotter. Very clear out to 45x in the right conditions.

Is there any areas the 554 falls short of the razor 65 other than objective size?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Not that I've seen. It's an upgrade in every way besides objective/field of view. Plus you get to keep the dual focus!

I use a kowa 88 and it will do everything you ask of it and then some, the new 66 having the same glass I'm sure would be stellar. The now discontinued 77 is a killer scope as well

OP
T
Buy once, cry once!

Swaro ATS 65!

Usually I agree with this, but I did this with my new swaro SLC 15x56 and while they are great, they didn’t bring the euphoric feeling that I thought it would give me so I’ve gone back to searching for the best value when it comes to cost vs benefit

Buy once, cry once!

Swaro ATS 65!
Legacy ATS 65 isn't necessarily any better than a Kowa 55x. This is based solely upon a guide's STS and my 554 on Kodiak looking at bear, goat, deer, etc at various distances under varying light.

Now the rumor of the "better" glass in the newer STS could change the equation.

Usually I agree with this, but I did this with my new swaro SLC 15x56 and while they are great, they didn’t bring the euphoric feeling that I thought it would give me so I’ve gone back to searching for the best value when it comes to cost vs benefit

The loss you'll take selling them basically isn't worth it.

OP
T
The loss you'll take selling them basically isn't worth it.

Not talking about selling my SLC 15x’s, just giving an example of how best of the best isn’t always the answer

And one nice thing about buying top end gear, resell is usually pretty decent compared to lesser quality stuff

Last edited: