A 4 day OTC elk hunt

In 2017 was the first and only time I killed an elk opening day.

Which makes my buddy's 6x6 on his very first day of elk hunting in his life, just that much more remarkable really. LOL

I can't disagree with the hike and photograph suggestion. My first elk "hunt" was actually a 7-day hiking trip with my buddy who had the tag. I was along to call, to glass, to learn, and hopefully to pack meat. The fact that I didn't have a tag never crossed my mind actually. I got the same out of it as my buddy who did. I learned what I went there to learn and the next season, I was in elk the first 20 min. of scouting.

hobbes

WKR
I think it was mentioned, but MT is no longer a guarantee for a NR. So, just picking up a deer tag hasn't been possible the last couple of years. Im quite certain that the deer combo had more applicants than tags the last 2 years. The big game combo (deer and elk) was nearly the same if not the same the last 2 years. Seems like there have been a few elk combos left, but not enough to plan on that.

If I only had 4 days, I wouldn't try a diy mountain hunt (especially for elk). If I wanted to do it, I wouldn't spend the cash for MT, but instead I'd go OTC in CO or ID. That amount of time already seems like it isn't a priority, so shelling out MT fees ahead of time sounds like a bad idea. I sure wouldn't shell out the cash for deer and elk. One or the other.

As far as points, by all means try to build some points if you can, but this idea that a guy has to have points to have a good hunt is not the case. There are lots of elk in OTC, or General units, you just have to find them.

As far as a reasonable chance with 4 days, even 4 full days to hunt, on your first diy elk hunt.......the odds suck. It could happen, but you are relying on luck. If you're cool with those odds at the cost for travel and tags, go for it. Rifle will be your best bet. If you just want "to experience the mountains", do a late summer (or between archery and rifle) scouting trip and maybe bring a fishing rod.

If you have 4 days only...... I'd go 2nd Rifle in CO and hunt near I70 or a state highway. Fly into Denver as early as possible, rent a small SUV, buy tag, drive in a westish direction, park just off a paved road in an OTC unit, hunt relatively close to the road (0 to 2 miles) first afternoon, stay in a local motel (or truck camp), and repeat similar all day hunts the next couple of days, on day 4 you'll need to head back to Denver for flight. Expect plenty of company.

If travel is outside of four days, I'd still do it the same just add another day and a half hunting to above.

I’ve always held to the belief that anything that takes longer than 4 days takes too long and isnt worth the time

One thing I would definitely look at is trying to fly into Grand Junction, Colorado depending on how much extra time it would take. That gets you away from the more populated OTC units that are close to Denver. Lot of OTC units within an hour or two of Grand Junction.

Funny- I read one of your posts today and almost posted that same thing “huh?” but decided it wasn’t worth the time. Crazy that two people in the Internet would realize the same day within hours of each other and completely independently and as a result of completely different topics that they are on totally different sheets of music. I’ll just assume your on the “correct page” hope you do too, and that there’s nothing else to discuss on the matter and leave it at that
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Can’t help you with a place to hunt but if it’s worth it to ya, definitely go hunting. A walk in the woods with a gun and the anticipation of maybe...it can be worth a lot to a hunter if that’s all you can schedule at the time.

Funny- I read one of your posts today and almost posted that same thing “huh?” but decided it wasn’t worth the time. Crazy that two people in the Internet would realize the same day within hours of each other and completely independently and as a result of completely different topics that they are on totally different sheets of music. I’ll just assume your on the “correct page” hope you do too, and that there’s nothing else to discuss on the matter and leave it at that
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the "anything" that caught my attention. Fair enough. I'm sure you have your reasons.