A couple hammock questions

I've been using a tarp and UL bivy for a couple of years. Love it!
But where I hunt is super steep and good luck finding flat ground to camp on. I usually can only find a slightly flat spot and end up sliding all over the place. Kind of thinking a hammock will work really great for me. And I've already got a tarp for it.

If I go to a hammock what do I need on the underside in place of a pad, a bottom quilt?I've already got an EE quilt. But I've heard it's hard to stay warm in a hammock ( from newer users)

Are there some of the rigging straps that are lighter than others?

What's the average weight of a hammock system.

I keep seeing hammocks for around $30 and it just seems like a good option for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Watching with interest. Just sold a tent, and want to give hammock camping a try to round out my kit. Been surfing threads and manufacturer sites myself.

My understanding: Need hammock, underquilt, tarp, all rigging, then your normal bag or quilt. I personally would also want something I could use with a bugnet and without the underquilt for summer versatility here out east.

Opinions on the Dutchware Chameleon?

Great timing for this thread. Been kicking around the idea of trying a hammock for Sept archery elk hunting. (Just not sure I can give up my Tut and stove). Having a hard time deciding which way to go with so many manufacturers and options out there.

My plan....use my woobie as an underquilt (since I carry it everywhere) and my slick bag or quilt inside the hammock. That should keep me warm enough. Already have an 8x10 flat tarp I can use for rain protection.

I’m just having a hard time making the switch for fear of not resting well in a hammock and the weight. That stuff adds up to more than some tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TradLife406
I've got a Sawtooth for if the weather gets bad. But I can't see packing that all in if the weather isn't horrible.

I guess can you rock your normal pad in a hammock? I can't see dropping $250 on an underquilt.

I've been looking around and see that DD out of England makes a hammock with a pad sleeve.

About to just go ahead and get a Outdoors Vitals Solo Plus. About 9oz and a little more room than the Grand Trunk Nano.

Might just full send and give it a try scouting.

I used to love being in my bag and cooking in my tent/shelter. But now there's basically grizzlies and food storage restrictions everywhere in MT. So I'll be cooking and eating away from camp. Because a bear can't smell the food on my clothes or bag...

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Sawtooth for if the weather gets bad. But I can't see packing that all in if the weather isn't horrible.

I guess can you rock your normal pad in a hammock? I can't see dropping $250 on an underquilt.

I've been looking around and see that DD out of England makes a hammock with a pad sleeve.

About to just go ahead and get a Outdoors Vitals Solo Plus. About 9oz and a little more room than the Grand Trunk Nano.

Might just full send and give it a try scouting.

I used to love being in my bag and cooking in my tent/shelter. But now there's basically grizzlies and food storage restrictions everywhere in MT. So I'll be cooking and eating away from camp. Because a bear can't smell the food on my clothes or bag...

You’ve seen us use pads in a hammock dude !!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You need a tarp with a 10 to 12 foot ridgeline for a hammock, minimum. Catenary cuts help a lot with tension, as do self tensioning guyouts. You can use a flat tarp, but dedicated hammock tarps are easier to use.

I've got a 0° underquilt and top quilt, both with overstuff and am confident in those ratings for september / october in high country Colorado.

Hammock advantages - comfortable, fast to pitch, steep slopes aren't a problem, really nice in rain.

Hammock disadvantages - heavier than a UL tent setup, need trees, can freeze your tail off if you don't really know what you're doing, and they're fiddly....everything has to be just right for them to work great.

danarnold

WKR
I tried like crazy to be comfortable and one, I suggest hitting the backyard many times before using it as your only choice.
Last year friends of mine were in Montana archery elk, snowed on them pretty good overnight and three out of the four got frostbite. They aren’t noobies

twall13

WKR
I started hammock camping with a pad as I didn't want to commit the money for an underquilt unless I knew hammocks were going to work for me. They take some practice but once you get it dialed in they can be great. If you do want to use a pad in a hammock either put it inside your sleeping bag/quilt or get a hammock with double layers so you can fit the pad between the layers. Also, get an 11' long hammock. Most of the cheap ones you see online are in the 9'-10' range and aren't as comfortable for overnight sleeping. If you are interested, I have a double layer hammock I'd sell (Wilderness Logics Lite Owl) as I have way more hammocks than I need at this point.

As others have said, whatever you decide to use, test it out in a bunch of conditions before you rely on it for a hunt. I love hammocks and they are my preferred sleep system for most conditions, but I readily admit they aren't for everyone. I'd also recommend picking up a copy of the Ultimate Hang and reading through it. It's a quick read with illustrations but it walks you through the basics of staying comfortable and safe in a hammock and is probably worth reading before buying anything.

Btaylor

WKR
Went with a hammock last year. No use prior to the hunt and knew I wouldnt have a chance to do so before the trip. Because of that I opted to go with an insulated pad so I could go to the ground if I needed to from not being able to make the hammock work right. I had no issues with the hammock at all. The pad would shift a bit and if I got off I got cold spots but it was not a big deal. Switching to an underquilt now that I know the hammock will work well for me. Always hated camping because of the back and body pains from sleeping on the ground, say good bye to that nonsense with the hammock. Woke up everyday rested and not sore.

twall13

WKR
As far as weight, it can vary from trip to trip depending on the conditions I expect but here is my most frequently used setup:

Hammock PolyD 1.2: 7.5 Oz.
Quilt (Hammock Gear Econ 30*): 22 Oz.
Underquilt (Hammock Gear Incubator 20*): 25 Oz.
Bug Net (Doesn't always go): 7 oz.
Tarp (warbonnet superfly) & rigging lines etc.: 23.5 Oz.
Hammock Suspensions & Stakes: 10 Oz.
Total Sleep System: 95 Oz. or just under 6 lbs.

My setup could be lighter, but I like the comfort and versatility of the setup I run. My hammock is pretty light, but I could drop about half the weight of the tarp if I'm willing lose some coverage. I often leave the bugnet depending on conditions. I can go with lighter suspension options and leave the stakes at home if I'm willing to cut stakes in the field, that would drop about 6 oz. I have lighter quilts but they are strictly for warm weather use. I have heavier quilts for when it gets colder. As I said, this is what works for me, some people could drop weight and be comfortable, others might need to bring more. You have to figure out what works for you but I'd say this is a fairly easily attainable weight in a hammock setup.

Last edited:

ChrisS

WKR
I recommend getting Derek Hanson's book The Ultimate Hang.

My current setup:
Warbonnet El Dorado
DIY 8x10 silpoly tarp with glo-wire
~6-ft 1" poly webbing for tree straps (I sewed loops in both ends)
Amsteel Whoopie Slings from Dutchware
2x 'biners

Insulation
Hammockgear 20F topquilt
Hammockgear 20F econ underquilt

I haven't weighed this all together because I just got the WB hammock. But it'll be around 6 lbs. ETA: I weighed everything last night, minus the bug net for the el dorado, but with stuff sacks, and it's 5.4 lbs. I sleep like a baby in a hammock though and I'll cut weight elsewhere. First year in SWCO, I used an insulated pad in the hammock and a tip is to not fully inflate the pad, it stays in place better. I ran that down to mid-20s at 10.5k ft just shy of treeline. It can be a bit fiddly and I recommend trying it a few times before going anywhere. I slept a few nights in my basement just to get a feel for everything.

Most of the differences in hammock bits comes down to 1) weight, 2) adjustability and 3) personal preference. Everything works to some degree, but there's so much customization that can be had. If you want ultralight, you're going to sacrifice cost and maybe ease of use.

Also it does depend on the expected weather. If you plan to be wet all day every day, I'd bring a floorless and stove.

Last edited:
Anybody tried the Clark Jungle Hammock? Curious if they’re as great as the reviews claim.

twall13

WKR
Seems like @Where's Bruce? uses a Clark. He usually chimes in on hammock related posts, but if not you might shoot him a PM. I've never tried a Clark but they look like a well built system, I've read they are a little shorter than what I typically prefer but a quality product nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

They are a true 4 season tent. With the proper oversized tarp, insulation (UQ/TQ) and longjohns/Hoodlum you will stay warmer in a hammock than a tent. Why? Try using your body heat to warm an whole tent instead of a Clark Jungle cocoon.

IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg

i destroyed a number of motorcycles in my youth and suffer back pain except in a hammock. Steep learning curve to getting em pitched so you sleep flat that most people fail to attain and quickly dismiss hammocks for camping despite the research proving it's often the better option. Whoopie slings are a must. Check hammockforum. Use your backyard in winter to practice hanging and test quilts in different temps. You can pitch a hammock almost anywhere...downside of the Clark is weight. Hammocks are just like tents...a true 4 season model will come with a weight penalty. But my shelter is high and dry regardless what the weather is...no muddy misery and no searching for a flat pad devoid of rocks and roots.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
110100I really love my henesy hammock, the hyper lite model. I’m only 5’8” and is shorter length is fine for me. Couple buddies are 6’4” and must have the longer models.

It’s turn key system and simple to tie up to trees with lacing. Experience will get the right height from ground and flatter laying position.

The hammock and lashing in stuff sack is 1.5 lbs. I bought a 10x10’ bear paw flat tarp in CF plus cordage and 4 stakes at 9oz. 2 lbs isn’t bad.

EE 20 quilt and a short under quilt are 17 and 13 oz.

Under 4 lbs all up for early swinging.

For me, this is good comfortable system for early season. When it gets cold, I’ll go the ground to stay lighter. A shaped tarp would be better, but a flat tarp gives multi use110101110102

I use a Kammack Roo with one of their tarps and strap sets. I've used it a handful of times, but only during the summer and early season hunts. I don't plan on using it during later seasons, especially when there is snow on the ground, I have a shelter with a stove for that...…

My though process or two cents is that having to carry a bunch of extra sleeping systems to keep warm defeats the purpose of taking a hammock in later seasons when I can just use a shelter with a stove. During the warmer seasons, it is just too easy to hang the hammock and climb in at the end of a long day.

I will admit, I don't have back issues so the sleep in the hammock is good for me.

The Roo has built in loops to attach an underquilt if needed, but I haven't used that yet, and I am not sure I will. I have watched some folks try to winter camp in a hammock and they always end up in my shelter because their boots and pack are frozen in the morning. Seems a bit miserable to me for no real benefit.

I haven't tried a pad in my hammock either, I don't see the point, but that is for how I run my own system.

I don't have any friends that like the hammock, so I am the odd man out in most cases.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is the cost. You mentioned $30 hammocks and you can find them but you won't sleep the same as you will in the hammocks that are being discussed here. My system, warbonnet blackbird, superfly, wookie, and diamondback set me back over $700 but I'm warm and comfortable to 0 degrees. I have a cheap $30 tigress uq for spring and fall with a costco down throw that's enough to keep me warm to about 40 degrees, bought it after trying to sleep on a mat and hating it. For me the uq is the only way to go. Klymit makes a hammock specific pad but it's over $100 and from what I've read gets you to about 20 degrees. I tried eno first as i didn't want to drop the money on something i wasn't sure about but after one night sent it back as i couldn't sleep in it very well, ordered the warbonnet after a lot of research and would never go back to the ground unless I'm somewhere with no trees. It's not the lightest or cheapest but it's a great system for me.