A day in the life at elk camp

Hike2hunt

FNG
Lot of great scenarios here, my buddy and I always carry at least one stove (jet boil) and a couple of freeze dried meals, depending where were at int he hunt, we will have a meal out in the bush, then just need to rehydrate, refit when we get back to camp. Hot wets are always good right before bed.

I don't know how much time you have for your hunt, but you might consider an acclimatization period, makes for a less miserable hunt.

Last edited:
If I were still hunting with a rifle ( only ever hunted elk with a bow) I don't see my days changing drastically other than clothing. Breakfast and coffee before first light, hunt all day snacking periodically throughout the day, getting back to camp at or after dark, boiling another mountain house, prepping my pack for the next day, cleaning up a bit, and doing it all over again the next day. I imagine the weather is alot colder so I'd make whatever adjustments necessary for as comfortable hunt as possible ;)

cnelk

WKR
I never base camp where I archery elk hunt.
Get up early and drive to an area, hike in and hunt for the morning. Get in before daylight, hunt a 5-6 mi loop.
After the thermals switch about 11-noon, drive back to camp, have lunch, do camp chores and take a nap.

About 4pm, drive to another place, hike in and hunt the evening, 2-3 mi loop.
Never hunt the same place morning and night, unless elk are encountered the hunt prior.

A typical 10 day hunt Ill put 700-800 miles on my truck, driving up to 20 miles to hunt one ridge sometimes.
Think of a 'wagaon wheel' with camp being the hub and the spokes are the places I hunt.
Seems to work well for me.

If we get an elk down, all plans change.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Get up early and drive to an area, hike in and hunt for the morning. Get in before daylight, hunt a 5-6 mi loop. After the thermals switch about 11-noon, drive back to camp, have lunch, do camp chores and take a nap.

About 4pm, drive to another place, hike in and hunt the evening, 2-3 mi loop.
Never hunt the same place morning and night, unless elk are encountered the hunt prior.

I generally do pretty much the same, except for the "nap". Never been a nap guy. But it also depends where I'm hunting. I have some areas that set up better for mornings, and others that set up better for evenings, just because of the terrain and the thermals. I have some spots that are over 50 miles from my base camp. I'll either get up earlier to be there before first light, or I'll drive over the afternoon before and set up a spike camp for the evening hunt and the next day. Just like to keep my options open. If I do pack in, it's generally for a 1-3 day stint......hit it hard and then move on if nothings happening. This is for archery season.

I like base camp.......better food, much more comfortable, warmer, and I can set up my target at 90 yards and shoot every day.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
First few years in the mountains I did the backpack style with spike camp. Did the bar and jerky diet. Its a lot of fun and will continue to do it when the time calls for it. But ive switched gears a bit to more of the style of hunting that 5milesback and cnelk described. I like all the benefits they describe about better food and more comfortable camp life. If I know the area well enough that im heading to in the morning, ill slow way down so im only stepping foot in the area when I can shoot. No reason to be there any earlier. I have yet to be on a hunt where I can actually hunt all day. I always bring enough food for a full day. Typically something for a big meal at lunch when there is plenty of down time. Get on a nice ridge, glass and listen for elk. But for the most part its pretty boring. If we are moving areas, ill take a nice evening with a fire and a few drinks to discuss our next days plans. Get everything ready that night for the next move. Everything depends on weather, hunting pressure and the amount of elk that we have seen. Even the temperature of the elk. Sometimes, mornings are the best bet and hunting at night was for recon only. Do your best to adjust to whatever the situation dictates for the most success. Hunting hard doesnt always equate to hunting smart.

What do you do with all your food during a 7 day backpacking trip? Do you leave the food for days 2-7 in your spike camp tent while you hunt on day 1 or do you always keep all your food with you at all times?

jmez

WKR
Food stays at spike camp except lunch got that day. I hang mine so bears, mice, etc don't get into it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
I do a mix of backpack and base camp depending on the elk and pressure. It is always nice to have a base camp to come back to after a handful of nights spiking. We always seem to be a bit lazier with the mornings when in base camp, but regardless the goal is to be hiking before light. This is a very obvious point but don't forget to mark your spike camp on your gps before taking off for the day if you plan on returning in the dark! Especially if your in a new area, those meadows, trees, etc. all look pretty similar when your using a headlamp. You may think your tent is in an obvious spot, but I wouldn't count on it.