A dog, an elk, a couple antelope, and some birds. Part 3 of 3.

Tod osier

WKR
Part 3 of three: Birds and finale.

This is my travel log from my trip earlier this fall going for elk, antelope and upland birds.

Part 1: Elk

Part 2: Antelope

I wanted to hunt sage grouse with Beaver, they are such cool birds. Beav's first sage grouse.
8sonSy9.jpg

Beav with a big male, love those big birds.
uVsMG7z.jpg

Sage grouse fricassee. They have a bad reputation as far as table fare.
CSWteit.jpg

Liked this shot.
DDOaCaa.jpg

Sage grouse fajitas. Messy camp cookery, but plenty good.
ObrRBrI.jpg

Beaver found this ripe beauty.
1vPWU87.jpg

Sunset over the sage before moving East.
q6loGET.jpg

Moved East. Resting the eve before my license started.
wycPPuU.jpg

First prairie chicken retrieve for the pup.
Lru8gJu.jpg

Pass shooting prairie chickens at dusk. I really enjoy that, especially after a long day of walking if you need birds for your bag.
3fXdJKg.jpg

Swamp thing. Trying to keep Beaver cool on a hot day.
N4f3RVv.jpg

Last camp of the trip. I was ready for home after 2 months.
vU7jjU6.jpg

About that time, the trip got real expensive. I thought preference points, then tags, vet bills, accident hitting a deer… but I had to buy something for the little lady.

We made an offer on a house and it got accepted when I was bird hunting and we and closed last week. We now own 35 acres in Sublette county, Wyoming with the plan to retire there in a few years.
3TZPqyb.jpg

BnzYV53.jpg

gZtG59O.jpg

Ceilings high enough for mounts. Got work to do!
vWmQAYm.jpg

I'm headed out for a couple weeks in a couple weeks to finalize things before deep winter sets in.

We have been hitting the game pretty hard as I'm thawing and processing it.

Antelope tenderloin using some fun garden specialties in the wine reduction: homegrown hardneck garlic, ripe jalapenos and pickled green coriander.
qTF3Vii.jpg

Antelope hindquarter. Sous vide with garlic, rosemary and lemon zest and finished on the grill.
iUnjTtU.jpg

Prairie chicken fricassee with drop biscuits baked on top. Prairie Chicken legs and thighs with 100% garden produce: carrots, potatoes, garlic and sage.
kc8n7v4.jpg

Elk Tacos de Lengua. Crisping the tongue makes it a whole 'nuther thing. I've made tongue plenty of times, but this is a way better way to do it. Cooked ripe jalapeno salsa and beautiful late season cilantro from the garden on a homemade corn tortilla. Save those tongues!
TPNyaxQ.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks Guys for the kind words! I had one pic that I forgot I had when I posted this up that cracked me up when I saw it.

I guessing it isn't a caliber a recommendation.
7g1CmdO.jpg

Few more, since I'm at it.

Boiling the skull. I've boiled a few skulls at campgrounds and it is always funny to see the interest that people have. This was a galvanized wash tub on a camp stove, it is inside the fire ring just to have a place out of the wind. Worked great.
FRXPUuG.jpg

Drying the pack for a reload.
7REMmN9.jpg

Small moon, but getting bigger by the day.
nFTW3EA.jpg

Access to a walk in cooler and freezer was sweet, I hadn't had that before.
H9ZnUFp.jpg

Favorite sunrise photo from the trip. Was smoky for just a few days from the smoke out of OR/WA.
ZJFbCiL.jpg

Stars over the hills, I was surprised how the big dipper was in the photo after I took it.
KjOU4t6.jpg

Beav in pretty light in the sage.
TcQhrIe.jpg

Beav and the elk, it took him a while to warm up to the elk.
OnP0oDw.jpg

Oops, road was a lil rough.
eaAq26a.jpg

Rig at a stopover.
9qGSir7.jpg