A lighter late season boot

I have been wearing Lowa Tibet GTX high boots for some time now as my primary late season boot, by late season I am thinking anything from late October on. I have even worn them on September elk hunts but have sense went to lighter footwear even trail runners on some occasions so I am not a stranger to that style of footwear. My current favorite boot is the Selewa Mountain Trainer 2 mid, although they arent near as water resistant as my Lowa's. I am currently experimenting with finding a reasonably light weight boot for those later fall and winter conditions. I am interested in some of the Selewa offerings but am hesitant about their ability to keep moisture out. I like my Tibet's but sometimes I feel they are just more boot than necessary and personally I don't feel they provide allot more in stability than some of the more mid height hikers I wear. I could just get the tibets again in the low height (my wife has them) but they still are fairly heavy.

I know boots are very personal but curious what others a wearing?

Late season is not the time that I find myself wanting lighter or more flexible boots. That said, Scarpa and La Sportiva have some offerings that are catering more to winter climbers. Something like an approach shoe is probably more what you'd want in terms of flex.

OP
Eastman528
Appreciate the response, definitely understand your point. Doesn't matter if your boots are lighter if your feet are soaked or uncomfortable. I'm not necessary looking for lighter flex, I think what you are talking about in an approach shoe is essentially the type of boots I am interested in. I'll give Scarpa/Sportiva a look again I went through 2 pairs of their Glaciar Wildland fire boots for work quite a few years back.

Jon_G

WKR
Following. I have the same boots and I am also looking for something lighter. There are a couple of spots where I wouldn't trade my Tibets for anything. There also places that they are overkill like the ranch we went to 2 years ago for turkeys. I am still looking for a semi stiff hunting boot but something not as heavy as the Tibets.

Jon_G

WKR
Look at the Scarpa Manta Tech. Lighter, cheaper and less rigid than the Grand Dru. They are insulated as well.
Those are insulated. I want non insulated. I have never considered scarpas. I am going to look into them

I wear Scarpa boots for my outdoor adventures. I have a pair of their light hikers that get worn 90% of the time I am out, until the snow hits, then I am in a pair of my Scarpa mountaineering boots.

Forgot to mention it before but I've been liking my Scarpa Zodiacs a lot. No insulation in them that I can recall, but I have never enjoyed insulation in my boots.

Those are insulated. I want non insulated. I have never considered scarpas. I am going to look into them
Ahh, if you’re looking for a later season, but non-insulated boot… the Grand Dru is hard to beat. They will keep you warm until single digits. I have a pair and I wore several pairs of their predecessor boots. I am biased, but Scarpa is where I’d be looking.

OP
Eastman528
Forgot to mention it before but I've been liking my Scarpa Zodiacs a lot. No insulation in them that I can recall, but I have never enjoyed insulation in my boots.
I like the looks of those, this quote from their description pretty much says what I'm looking for "Perfect for those situations when an approach shoe isn’t enough and a full-on mountain boot is too much".

OP
Eastman528
Following. I have the same boots and I am also looking for something lighter. There are a couple of spots where I wouldn't trade my Tibets for anything. There also places that they are overkill like the ranch we went to 2 years ago for turkeys. I am still looking for a semi stiff hunting boot but something not as heavy as the Tibets.
Same I found myself taking them on a spring bear hunt recently because I had more confidence in them than my Selewa's knowing there would be some snow and rugged rocky terrain, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with micro spikes on. If I had something in between I might have been happier though. I think what I am mostly trying to get away from is the excessively tall uppers, I wear gaiters all the time anyways, I suppose I could just get a pair of the lower ones but they are still relatively heavy. My only other complaint with them is I get some heel lift no matter what I do in steep terrain, my last pair I wore clear through the heel on the inside. Do you experience that?

Jon_G

WKR
Same I found myself taking them on a spring bear hunt recently because I had more confidence in them than my Selewa's knowing there would be some snow and rugged rocky terrain, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with micro spikes on. If I had something in between I might have been happier though. I think what I am mostly trying to get away from is the excessively tall uppers, I wear gaiters all the time anyways, I suppose I could just get a pair of the lower ones but they are still relatively heavy. My only other complaint with them is I get some heel lift no matter what I do in steep terrain, my last pair I wore clear through the heel on the inside. Do you experience that?
I do not experience that. I have you tried a different, slightly stiffer outsole? I never used the ones that came with the boot. Before I even ordered the boots I ordered the superfeet hiking boot soles. They are not heavy at all and are stiffer. There's not a pair of shoes I own that I don't use superfeets though lol.

I am going to try the lowa renegades since I know how lowas fit. I am going to order them through REI since I can easily return them no questions asked. If they are still too heavy I'll look into a light scarpa or even a crispi lapponia although the renegades are a tad lighter. I guess if they are the same overall weight I'll just go with a bit more flexibility.

I like the looks of those, this quote from their description pretty much says what I'm looking for "Perfect for those situations when an approach shoe isn’t enough and a full-on mountain boot is too much".
I have a pair of Zodiac Techs (orange ones with the little gaiter) and my youngest son has had 2 pairs. Very comfortable hiking boot. Like hiking around in a good fitting running shoe. I wear them spring, summer and early fall. They are definitely not as thick/tough leather as the beefier mountaineering boots, but a comfortable, technical boot. I wasn’t sure I’d like the gaiter… but it’s awesome. The price went way up this last year though.

Jon_G

WKR
I have a pair of Zodiac Techs (orange ones with the little gaiter) and my youngest son has had 2 pairs. Very comfortable hiking boot. Like hiking around in a good fitting running shoe. I wear them spring, summer and early fall. They are definitely not as thick/tough leather as the beefier mountaineering boots, but a comfortable, technical boot. I wasn’t sure I’d like the gaiter… but it’s awesome. The price went way up this last year though.
I wish scarpa had a stiffness/flex rating chart like Lowa or Crispi.

OP
Eastman528
I do not experience that. I have you tried a different, slightly stiffer outsole? I never used the ones that came with the boot. Before I even ordered the boots I ordered the superfeet hiking boot soles. They are not heavy at all and are stiffer. There's not a pair of shoes I own that I don't use superfeets though lol.

I am going to try the lowa renegades since I know how lowas fit. I am going to order them through REI since I can easily return them no questions asked. If they are still too heavy I'll look into a light scarpa or even a crispi lapponia although the renegades are a tad lighter. I guess if they are the same overall weight I'll just go with a bit more flexibility.
Yes, I have ran Superfeet forever, and now I have Sheepfeet and it does help to an extent.

The renegades look good, its nice to be able to wear them around the house or at least the store a while. I am going to try the laponia's on as well locally, you hear so many good things about them, I had the Thors and ended up selling them after one hunt they were really comfortable but werent quite for me. Probably an unpopular opinion but I have been somewhat resistant to Crispi's, they are very good at marketing in the hunting space and no doubt build a good boot just dont feel they are quite as well made particularly with their lacing system as some other brands for all the hype.

Jon_G

WKR
Yes, I have ran Superfeet forever, and now I have Sheepfeet and it does help to an extent.

The renegades look good, its nice to be able to wear them around the house or at least the store a while. I am going to try the laponia's on as well locally, you hear so many good things about them, I had the Thors and ended up selling them after one hunt they were really comfortable but werent quite for me. Probably an unpopular opinion but I have been somewhat resistant to Crispi's, they are very good at marketing in the hunting space and no doubt build a good boot just dont feel they are quite as well made particularly with their lacing system as some other brands for all the hype.
I've never tried any crispis except for a few seconds at the store to be honest. I tried on a pair of Nevadas and my Tibets felt more comfortable so I went with those. And on top of that for whatever reason my Tibets were $200 on Amazon and only my size was at that price lol

I am going to try the lapponias on tomorrow or maybe even today. I'll let you know my initial thoughts on them.

MTHokie

Lil-Rokslider
I was eyeing those too but they hard damn near the same weight as my Tibets so now much lighter lol. The renegades are much lighter
+1 for the Renegades. I am a fan of my Renegade lows.