A nation of wimps?

Rich M

WKR
Werent you the guy in the bourbon thread complaining about booze inflames your PAINFUL gout?
Just saying,
Glass houses and all,

LoL! Gout is arthritis - hereditary, 4% of the population has it, and they are now saying it doesn't matter what you eat cause it is gonna flare up from time to time anyway. Not sure i agree w that but dehydration surely does - i usually get it while at beach or boating vacations if not drinking enough water. Gout - for me it is often like walking on a knife or saw blade, then it settles into a hot swollen foot with shooting pains, and lastly into a dull aching throb that won't hold weight. Have crutches and a cane ready to go if it happens.

My last gout flareup was triggered by grocery store fried chicken fer dinner, woke up with that sensation - took 8-9 days to walk again. This one kicked my tail - flareup was a travel day in taking my dad to see family 5 hrs away (i drive), then spent the next 2 days boating and fishing, next day drive him back home, then back to work. Did miss 1 day of work - couldn't put a sheet over the foot (no sleep) and it was giving me fever, swets, and chills. Worst thing I had to do was get out of a tub shower - figured it out but took a bit - thought was going to work but wasn't to be. Went to dr. next day for the magic medicine and 3-4 days later could walk again, without cane or crutches.

I usually chuckle when folks make jokes about gout. Just something I gotta live with.

What is the definition we are going by for wimps here? If you can't climb a 10,000 ft mtn or can't handle heat or cold? Pain? Work long hours? Doing all this stuff without whining? Beat everyone with yer Bruce Lee skills? Lift 100# and carry it to 1,200 ft higher elevation? What is it?

My definition is for someone to do what needs to get done when it needs to get done without whining or complaining. There is always someone bigger, stronger, tougher, badder, and meaner. I know a few tough guys who would be classified as wimps if we applied the whiner rule above.

Had some guys from a previous job helping me move and they slid a gun safe down the stairs, crushed a fellow's toe. Popped it like a zit. His 2 buddies razzed him ceaselessly, my wife gave him an Advil and they finished the move. Found out he had surgery a day or two later to remove bone fragments... LoL! Also know/knew 2 old folks who have had appendix rupture - one kept walking 6 miles a day with it and the other went a week or more before going to dr. Both almost died. Some folks are super tough.

Loo.wii

WKR
Okie dokie!
I was born in 1950 and grew up in East Texas.
We lived through hurricanes, tornados, drouths, floods, 100°+ temps, +/-20° temps and the occasional hard freeze and snow.
Until the 2nd grade, the only A/C I had experienced was at the local "Duke & Ayers" department store and the Texas Theater.
I can remember my sister and me ice skating (no skates) on our farm pond (1 acre). We didn't break through.

Our dogs lived outside. We heated the house with LPG space heaters. They were burned during the day. They were turned off every night! Regardless of night time temps!
The heat of summer meant opening every window in the house, mosquitoes be damned! Spent many a summer night, wallowing in a pool of sweat until, out of desperation, you slipped onto that linoleum floor because it was MUCH cooler!
Maybe a box fan to stir the sultry air!

These days! Freezing temps and summertime highs above 90° and the news organizations go into orbit! 🤯
Don't go outdoors without proper clothing. Drink plenty water!
The NE is flooding.
The SW is in a drought!
Subzero temps in the Great Lakes area.

Have we become a nation of "wimps"?
If something unforseen happened, would you be able to provide warmth or compensate for the heat until power is restored?
Im not sure its a case of people being soft though they are. Its more of people being stupid as **** and doing literally everything they can do to get themselves killed. So the news is playing parent. I s*** you not i had ive been out in the woods and observed people come unprepared. because they though that ohh its a short hike.

schmalzy

WKR
I'm a millennial too. I just emailed my boss to let him know I need the afternoon off for my mental health. Thanks!

Think I’m going to do the same, although to be honest my boss can be pretty cynical and laughs when I bring up work life balance. Treat yo self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t see this as a young vs old thing, plenty old bastards that are wimpy. Plenty of younger folks too.

It’s nothing new. JFK felt Americans were getting soft- including our military folks. “In 1963, the initial inspiration behind the event came from then President John F. Kennedy challenging his military officers to meet the requirements that Teddy Roosevelt had set for his own military officers at the dawn of the 20th Century. That Roosevelt requirement was for all military officers to be able to cover 50 miles on foot in 20 hours to maintain their commissions. When word got out about the “Kennedy Challenge”, non-commissioned military personnel also wanted to take the test themselves as did certain robust members of the civilian population.”

We don’t have nearly as many occupations anymore where 8-10 hours of work/day is more than enough “exercise” to keep one non-soft. It’s the exception now, not the rule. With technology the way it’s going, it’s going to stay that way.

If you’re on this forum and partake in backcountry hunting (or any other backcountry endeavors) you’re more than likely a lot less wimpy than the vast majority of Americans- regardless of age. Ditto if your occupation is one of the few that still requires a lot of hard physical work.

I still think this a good read for anyone who hasn’t read it:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/a-worthwhile-read-the-comfort-crisis.260030/

ODB

WKR
-2 this mornign and my daughter drobve her 4x4, non-ABS, no nannies truck to school and later to work in the snow, uphill both ways with a sniffle!

-2 this mornign and my daughter drobve her 4x4, non-ABS, no nannies truck to school and later to work in the snow, uphill both ways with a sniffle!
That's saying something right there! Driving these last few days in the Treasure Valley sucks!

Reactions: ODB

Will_m

WKR
Nothing like people arguing behind screen names on an Internet forum about who is the toughest.

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the problem with todays "youth"

To be fair, if a pollster called and actually managed to get a hold of 18-29 year old me, of course I would tell him I support Bin Laden and also that I support I.C. Weiner for the 2024 presidential election.

Modern polls are near worthless because Millenials on down do not want to participate in polls, much less answer an unknown number, and if they did manage to get a hold of us then we're just going to give them garbage information (i.e. Boaty McBoatface).

CorbLand

WKR
To be fair, if a pollster called and actually managed to get a hold of 18-29 year old me, of course I would tell him I support Bin Laden and also that I support I.C. Weiner for the 2024 presidential election.

Modern polls are near worthless because Millenials on down do not want to participate in polls, much less answer an unknown number, and if they did manage to get a hold of us then we're just going to give them garbage information (i.e. Boaty McBoatface).
Boaty McBoatface is one of the greatest things to happen to this world.

The other problem with polls is once you learn have easy it is to manipulate them to get the response you want, you will one hundred percent discredit them.