a new hunter 'advocacy' group

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you directing that at me? I think I've made it pretty clear I think that guy is garbage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
I think the real failure is not a person standing up for their rights, but rather the increasing number of public school educated Americans who think their main job to direct everyone else's lives. It is pretty sad when the friggin' Canadian (no offense, your post was one of my favorites) gets it, but a bunch of "group think Americans" don't

Fatcamp

WKR
Are you directing that at me? I think I've made it pretty clear I think that guy is garbage.

I see what you are saying, my problem is with people saying this guy should be supported in some misguided attempt at cooperation with anti-hunting groups. I'm clear that you believe he is a clown.

bsnedeker

WKR
I see what you are saying, my problem is with people saying this guy should be supported in some misguided attempt at cooperation with anti-hunting groups. I'm clear that you believe he is a clown.
Yup, you and i are on the same side on this one. Appeasement as a plan to victory doesn't work. Ask the French!

Mike7

WKR
It seems like everything is about branding these days, since facts, science, common sense, liberty, individual rights, etc...that crap doesn't matter anymore.

Long range hunters just need to first rebrand themselves as Environmentally Low Impact Game Managers or Food Harvesters. They should fund their own study showing a higher rate of clean kills (I am quite certain Ryan Avery can shoot better at 800 yds than I or the typical gym manager can at 400 yds) and also showing the decreased time they spend tromping around the woods potentially stressing prey animals which are already prone to stress.

Then they should form a nonprofit group touting the study results, and promoting the loss of hunting privileges for people like me because of our environmental impact, hunting inefficiency, and potential to take an ill advised mid-range shot while possessing only short range skills.

bsnedeker

WKR
It seems like everything is about branding these days, since facts, science, common sense, liberty, individual rights, etc...that crap doesn't matter anymore.

Long range hunters just need to first rebrand themselves as Environmentally Low Impact Game Managers or Food Harvesters. They should fund their own study showing a higher rate of clean kills (I am quite certain Ryan Avery can shoot better at 800 yds than I or the typical gym manager can at 400 yds) and also showing the decreased time they spend tromping around the woods potentially stressing prey animals which are already prone to stress.

Then they should form a nonprofit group touting the study results, and promoting the loss of hunting privileges for people like me because of our environmental impact, hunting inefficiency, and potential to take an ill advised mid-range shot while possessing only short range skills.
Yeah, getting close to animals and spooking them has to be bad for their mental health...I like where you're headed with this!

sneaky

"DADDY"
There wouldn't be any fracturing. Its not like you would be breaking up some united group of hunters. We are already broken up by our own personal ethics and ideals. I didn't support the clubbing of baby seals, did you? I certainly didn't support remotely operated firearms video hunting in Texas, did you? Would you support running down hogs with dogs and then sticking them with a knife? I'm not sure I would. Do you support NVG aerial gunning of hogs and just leaving them lay for the scavengers? Again, not sure what I think about that. What about falconry. Would you be fighting right along side the bird handlers? What about the game farm operations. Are you in support of that type of hunting?

Every hunter has their own ideals that dictate what they will support and where they draw the line. But its not hunters we need on our side. Its the non-hunters who are still open to voting for and supporting hunting.

But to be clear, I don't support the ideas mentioned in that article. I'm just discussing the (Stand your ground and don't give an inch) mindset/plan that hasn't seemed to work in the political realm while I've been alive. The NRA and gun owners try much harder than Hunters at that plan and still they lose ground at a steady pace.
Catching hogs with dogs and killing them with a knife is a common occurrence where I'm from in TN originally. I have no problem with that at all. It saves ammunition and kills the hog quick. I have no problem with natives clubbing seals because that's their culture. I have no problem with shooting hogs from helicopters. If these are illegal, then I would have a different view. Hogs cause millions of dollars in crop damage every year and they are a non native species. I say shoot them however. I support all legal methods of hunting. I don't hunt high fences, but if someone else does, that's their prerogative. I'm sure not going to go blasting other hunters who do things differently than I do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Catching hogs with dogs and killing them with a knife is a common occurrence where I'm from in TN originally. I have no problem with that at all. It saves ammunition and kills the hog quick. I have no problem with natives clubbing seals because that's their culture. I have no problem with shooting hogs from helicopters. If these are illegal, then I would have a different view. Hogs cause millions of dollars in crop damage every year and they are a non native species. I say shoot them however. I support all legal methods of hunting. I don't hunt high fences, but if someone else does, that's their prerogative. I'm sure not going to go blasting other hunters who do things differently than I do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wasn't talking about blasting them or even being negative toward them at all. I was talking about supporting them. Or more specifically getting those who don't hunt to support them and all other aspects of hunting. Hunters being neutral to a situation doesn't sway the vote to the positive side.

Anyway, I'm just saying we're never going to get all hunters to support all aspects of hunting.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
In an oddly ironic twist Rob Shaul is how I came to know about Backcountry Hunting!

I'm in the military and have followed some of his plans since about 2011. When he posted the Backcountry Big Game hunting prep plan I was very interested. I like a challenge and seeing that there was a type of hunting that involved hiking long distances into the wilderness and carrying out meat in a pack had me researching like crazy to try to get into it myself.

I wonder how many nasty non-resident hunters like myself he has unknowingly "recruited" to come out west and hunt. LOL!!!'

I won't buy his MTI products anymore and will not recommend them to others as I have so often done in the past.

Tactical Barbell and Cronus Fitness (who also have a mountain prep program for much cheaper than Shauls) will be my new favorites to refer my buddies to.

Billinsd

WKR
Never apologize, never compromise, never surrender. 35 years ago, I believed bear baiting was unethical as were other forms of hunting I knew nothing about or didn't like. I was young and ignorant. I've witnessed what happens when hunters and gun rights advocates appease. Yes, it can sound "good and logical", but it's always a defeat. Is there a guaranteed way to stop the erosion of our hunting privaleges and 2nd Amendment rights? I don't think so. I believe we are all stronger if we stay together and don't let the other side divide and conquer us while chopping away at our freedoms and privaleges.

jmden

WKR
Never apologize, never compromise, never surrender. 35 years ago, I believed bear baiting was unethical as were other forms of hunting I knew nothing about or didn't like. I was young and ignorant. I've witnessed what happens when hunters and gun rights advocates appease. Yes, it can sound "good and logical", but it's always a defeat. Is there a guaranteed way to stop the erosion of our hunting privaleges and 2nd Amendment rights? I don't think so. I believe we are all stronger if we stay together and don't let the other side divide and conquer us while chopping away at our freedoms and privaleges.

Right on. Listen to someone who's lived this...

netman

WKR
My friend who is a life long resident of Wyoming warned me about people from Jackson Hole.
I sit here in Indiana a few feet above sea level reading this information.
I’m old enough to say I killed my first few deer with a recurve because the compound bow had not made it to our market. I remember seeing deer running around with wooden arrows sticking out of their hind quarters. I remember when compound bows came out you could now shoot small groups of arrows out to 40 yards. They were considered too effective. I remember when portable climbing deer stands were considered unfair to deer and should be illegal. I remember when motorized decoys came out and they were so effective that people wanted them made illegal.
Up until a few years ago here in Indiana we were limited to shotguns with slugs only. My first slug gun was a smooth bore Mossberg pump with a effective range of about 50-60 yards. Then we figured out a muzzleloader has a more effective range.
Guys were going to Canada to hunt bears over bait. I was asked if that was fair to the bears. Imagine shooting them at the dinner table. My response was I shoot squirrels in hickory trees. Ducks in flooded fields and geese in corn fields. What’s wrong with hunting bears over bait? Nothing!
So now we have evolved into taking 90 yard shots on elk with a bow. Deer stands with heat and office chairs. Muzzleloaders that shoot 600+ yards and centerfire rifles that are effective to waaaaay out there. What’s wrong with that? Nothing!
And motorized decoys are not as effective as they once were.
It’s the evolution of being a hunter. Hell look at our hunting cloths today and back when I was a kid. I froze to death back then just as I do now. Except it was a cheaper back then.
I spend way more time and money now shooting extended ranges. If I had half the gear back when I was younger as I do now there wouldn’t be anything for anyone to hunt as I would have gunned it all down.
Now I drive a Duramax , Big boats, fantastic firearms, best cloths, atvs , Big trailers with only half the drive I had when I was younger.
It’s the evolution...

4ester

WKR
They had a basically anti hunting protest on the square in Jackson today

We were there trying to help support the trophy hunting of animals. I saw him over in the other group but didn’t talk to him. Was he truly there supporting the Anti’s?

Update: Per his website he is against Trophy hunting and hunting any animal that is not being used for food.

This guy is a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
I seem to recall a thread about whether or the the Internet is friend or foe.

Exhibit "A"your honor.

TheCougar

WKR
Holy crap. I purchased the MTI Backcountry Hunter workout program last year. Now I feel dirty. Rob Shaul will never see another dime from me.