a new hunter 'advocacy' group

Diesel

WKR
In today's social connections, it seems anyone's opinions can find a platform. We give these opinions too much weight.

If you want to hold yourself to self imposed shot distances ( which most of have our own ) why would you need an advocacy group?

shaul, post and and others are just an extension of political correctness that is so chic nowadays. It is all about the money and look at me crowd and I know how to bring you heathens in check. They have the "I am the hunting Guru, follow me" mentality. Listen and learn grasshopper.

I would bet he will find sheep that will follow.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to me all this pontificating by anyone capable of using technology is just white noise. At some point there will be so many advocacy groups that we will each have our own and be back to square one.

Hunting has always been a pursuit that differs from individual to individual on the how and why. That is the beauty of it. You get what you want out of it.

I hope the hunting gestapo never gain momentum. It is power over all that these types thrive upon.

cmahoney

WKR
Hipsters, how much modern technology went into his bow, maybe that’s unfair. Does he take scientifically designed supplements, I’m not sure if that’s fair chase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
He might want to take that Kromer off too, don’t want to get confused for the riffrafs from Michigan...

As said before, this holier than thou movement is one more division we don’t need. I think debating and questioning hunting ethics is something we should do but forcing your pious standards on others in front of the public is out of line IMO.

cmahoney

WKR
This guys organization is going to get all it’s funds from anti hunters. I’m glad he didn’t list Nevada as one of the states he wants to screw with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Well had been considering one of the programs that makes the decision really easy. Cant even keep people from poaching who is going to be out there measuring shot distance what a dink.

GotDraw?

WKR
He totally gets his self righteous concept of America: "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine, too..."

Strong parallels to the Moral "Majority"

What an ass, if folks from MI cant hunt the west does he feel like he should exclude himself from ever fishing the great lakes. I'm not quite sure he gets the concept of America.

His views seem very short sighted and selfish to me. What happens to state level conservation funding without the revenue from nonresident licenses?

I don't think this nonprofit will achieve much besides getting PR for his jackhole knucklehead gym.

GotDraw?

WKR
I will say that for every hunter and every given weather and situational condition, there is a distance at which popping a shot off at game becomes unethical. If not for accuracy considerations, then for the hunting/sporting concept of fair chase.

Problem is that technology is allowing for shots at greater distances, and more and more guys are overestimating situational conditions and their ability. Guys are so invested in their hunt and trying to get a shot at anything that they justify any shot and ethics get marginalized.

Techology is overwhelming and surpassing animal defenses and social media and hunter egos are overwhelming fair chase.

Social media, TV shows, advertising dollars for gun makers and web sites, "smart" gun scopes and the like are clearly driving an increasing need to boast about distance and how capable one is at distance. Now that folks are popping off shots at elk and muley with "primitive" muzzle loaders at 400-600+ yards, it is black and white clear that muzzle loaders are no longer a handicap compared to decades of high power rifle statistics. At this point, I have to question why muzzle loaders even need their own season.

When folks are high power rifle shooting elk and muley at close to and sometimes far beyond 1000 yds, we should all ask ourselves what the distance is where shooting is no longer fair because animals can no longer use their hearing, sight and smell for defense?

Given the above, there WILL be a day when states lean in and dictate terms and definitions on ethics.

We hunters as a group are guilty of being so self righteous that we have had ZERO will to self regulate. No one seems willing to stand up and dictate ethics for those who lack them when compared to a general median of the overall population. No one seems willing to state what is or is not Fair Chase. With this as a backdrop, states and game agencies will ultimately step in guided by those with greater will and louder voices than ours.

Yes, a 300 yard limit for high power rifle is ridiculous, but 700 might not be. How much of a handicap is a muzzle loader anymore, and why do they still need their own season during archery season when folks are posting and boasting about popping shots at 400-600yds with them? It is undisputable that those distances have been traditional ethical high power rifle distances for decades.

Say what you will and howl in protest all you want, but at some point there will be ethical terms dictated and we can either get in front of them and make recommendations or have them dictated to us. If dictated to us, then maybe they'll be 300yds for rifle, 100yds for black powder and 50 for archery... because we, as a group were so self righteous that we were unwilling to offer any terms at all.

JL

JWP58

WKR
because we, as a group were so self righteous that we were unwilling to offer any terms at all.

JL

Weird, here I was thinking it was those that are hell bent on forcing everyone to their "ethics" were the self righteous. I have just enough faith in mankind that I believe they can make at least a few decisions on their own without laws or regulations dictating every minuscule detail.

How selfish of me. I'm telling you all, the holier than thou "I care more club" is going to do us all in.

CorbLand

WKR
I will say that for every hunter and every given weather and situational condition, there is a distance at which popping a shot off at game becomes unethical. If not for accuracy considerations, then for the hunting/sporting concept of fair chase.

Problem is that technology is allowing for shots at greater distances, and more and more guys are overestimating situational conditions and their ability. Guys are so invested in their hunt and trying to get a shot at anything that they justify any shot and ethics get marginalized.

Techology is overwhelming and surpassing animal defenses and social media and hunter egos are overwhelming fair chase.

Social media, TV shows, advertising dollars for gun makers and web sites, "smart" gun scopes and the like are clearly driving an increasing need to boast about distance and how capable one is at distance. Now that folks are popping off shots at elk and muley with "primitive" muzzle loaders at 400-600+ yards, it is black and white clear that muzzle loaders are no longer a handicap compared to decades of high power rifle statistics. At this point, I have to question why muzzle loaders even need their own season.

When folks are high power rifle shooting elk and muley at close to and sometimes far beyond 1000 yds, we should all ask ourselves what the distance is where shooting is no longer fair because animals can no longer use their hearing, sight and smell for defense?

Given the above, there WILL be a day when states lean in and dictate terms and definitions on ethics.

We hunters as a group are guilty of being so self righteous that we have had ZERO will to self regulate. No one seems willing to stand up and dictate ethics for those who lack them when compared to a general median of the overall population. No one seems willing to state what is or is not Fair Chase. With this as a backdrop, states and game agencies will ultimately step in guided by those with greater will and louder voices than ours.

Yes, a 300 yard limit for high power rifle is ridiculous, but 700 might not be. How much of a handicap is a muzzle loader anymore, and why do they still need their own season during archery season when folks are posting and boasting about popping shots at 400-600yds with them? It is undisputable that those distances have been traditional ethical high power rifle distances for decades.

Say what you will and howl in protest all you want, but at some point there will be ethical terms dictated and we can either get in front of them and make recommendations or have them dictated to us. If dictated to us, then maybe they'll be 300yds for rifle, 100yds for black powder and 50 for archery... because we, as a group were so self righteous that we were unwilling to offer any terms at all.

JL

I agree with the overall theme you are saying. They will never dictate shot distances, there is no way to enforce it. What will be dictated is the equipment you can use and how many tags are issued.

KurtR

WKR

JL

Ya because you will be able to regulate that how? I dont think the animals care if they are shot at 50 or 1000 either way they are dead

JL

Terms to who?

The boogeyman in your head?

Anti hunters live in an insulated world. Nothing you bring to the table will change their soy filled mind.

Be the change you seek in the world, encourage and lead the way with the no technology wave. Make a great hashtag like #scopesareforsissies

But using force of law to control others. That’s weak. It’s weak because your ideas must suck, or that you stand so high above other that only the crack of a whip to get the dreary sludgy masses to have ethics.

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
That article screams I am another "Green Decoy" from the heart of WY left wing liberalism...Jackson Hole. You're pissed because you found 8 non residents on public land? If you're from Michigan, you can't be apart of their "team"? I have no idea what this individual is proposing to do, but it certainly isn't uniting all hunters. His message is, "Hunt according to my ethics. If you don't you aren't welcome and not a part of the team." He couldn't be more divisive if he tried. Elitist, better than though douchebag.

As suggested earlier, he should call Charles Post, the Berkley idiot from Sitka and add him as an ambassador. They can sit around a fake campfire (wouldn't want to contribute to global warming by having a real fire), drinking Kombucha, commenting on who is more ethical, and then write a long, overly wordy article denigrating hunters and promoting their gym and supplement business. What a complete self serving moron.