A.O. Nidner barrel

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
Well i was left a barrel blank by an old uncle who was a gunsmith down here in Texas. Anyway the barrel blank was made by A.O. Nidner. It has a full sheet of typed information. Apparently it was made in 1953. And the metallurgy was supposedly very advanced for that time. My uncle always said it was made from tool steel??? I know he held this barrel in pretty high regard as he would talk about what would be the perfect caliber rifle to build it into.

Fast forward, i had it spun into a 6.5 x .284 hunting rifle by another gunsmith my uncle had trained.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of these barrels before? And should i be concerned at all if it is in fact "tool steel"?

tater

WKR
Wow.
What a piece of history to have. Niedner made SPECTACULAR single shot rifles, and i have no doubt that the rifle you have it on will earn it's keep.
Too bad it wasn't chambered for 25-06, but the 6.5-284 is pretty cool too.:cool:

And no, the metallurgy of that barrel should not be of any concern.

Wapiti1

WKR
How many grooves does the barrel have? I don't think Neidner made his own barrels (could be wrong). He used Pope barrels a lot of the time since they were buddies. Pope barrels usually have 8 grooves. 1953 may be too late for Neidner. He died in 54 and sold the business in the late 40's.

That said, he may have tinkered up until his death. He made a lot of pieces and parts for others.

Jeremy

OP
C

Chunky Dunk 71

Lil-Rokslider
How many grooves does the barrel have? I don't think Neidner made his own barrels (could be wrong). He used Pope barrels a lot of the time since they were buddies. Pope barrels usually have 8 grooves. 1953 may be too late for Neidner. He died in 54 and sold the business in the late 40's.

That said, he may have tinkered up until his death. He made a lot of pieces and parts for others.

Jeremy
That was the date on the write up, ill have to dig it out and double check the date on it. Ill take a pic of it. It is pretty cool to know the history now. As far as grooves, no idea unless its on that paper, which it likely is. Thanks for all the info!