A short story about a short elk hunt

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I had pre-ranged the distance across the small meadow and it was only 35yds so I knew anywhere the bull appeared, I was going to have a shot opportunity.

He was coming from my right and entered the small clearing at 35yds

I immediately knew he was a shooter for me.

I drew.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
He walked straight toward me. Closer. Closer.

I remember my pin hovering on the center of his chest, almost thumping him with a frontal

But then he bugled right in my face and turned mostly broadside – more broadside than quartering to me.

I settled my pin and Thwack!!! I saw my 465gr arrow sink to the fletching behind his shoulder at 20yds.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
He turned and kinda bolted but didn’t run. I immediately cow called a few times, then I didn’t see him momentarily as he went behind some trees, but he re-appeared across the meadow about 70yds away and he stopped. I could see the entry hole with a bit of blood, but it looked like the arrow may had broken off and come out. He then walked to edge of the trees and I lost sight of him.

After about 15 minutes, I went to where he was standing when I shot him. I found his track when he bolted and I followed them a short ways. It was here I found my broken off arrow shaft. I already knew I had plenty of penetration with the Slick Trick but finding part of the arrow is always a plus.

I thought I heard the bull crash after 10mins or so but I still waited for my typical 45min before venturing over to where I last saw him...

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
The first load I carried a front quarter, backstraps and loose meat - all that meat weighed 70lbs, plus the 20lb weight of my daypack, so that 90lbs sure made my toes curl going down 1000' in 3/4mi.

It was about 11am by the time I got the first load back to camp. I sent out a few texts to some buddies and was preparing to go back for a 2nd load when one of my friends said he was in the area and would swing by to help me get the rest of the elk off the mountain.

I readily agreed!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
When my friend showed up to help pack, he even brought another buddy so in one trip we went up and packed the rest of the bull off the mountain. It was raining again, and we had to cross those damn willows.

They each took a hind quarter and I took the other front quarter and the head - another 80lb pack out.

We got everything back to camp about 6pm. After a couple cold beers and a bit of BSing, the 2 buddies took off and then it was time to relax.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Good job Brad! Gets me fired up for elk season. Like I need a reason to get fired up for elk season! Maybe I’ll copy a story over to rokslide next week.

Did you see why really big bulls while scouting?

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing and congrats! Bet that elk meat is coming in handy during these times!