Elk with a Savage slug gun

Slug

FNG
Have been hunting Elk the last six years with a Savage 212 using 2 3/4" Remington Accutips. The hunt is a late season cow hunt in November. Whitetail is open at the same time. We have killed 5 elk with this setup. All shots in the 50-150 yard range. One exception was my son wacked one at 202 yards. She went down hill for a bit but piled up. These guns are very accurate with the right slugs and practice. I was able to hit a buck at 135 with it and lights out!
I have purchased the 220 this year and am currently setting it up with a camo job and a scope. I plan on trying it this year for the elk and see if it performs as well as the 212. I think with less recoil and 3" shells it is going to work great. Everything I have read they are supposed to be more accurate and similar ballistics just a lighter slug (260 grain vs. 385) but still a chunk. Love to hear your slug gun story on elk. We have never had a difficult track after our shots, all fell over in a short distance.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I've never hunted elk with my 220 but it's a tack driver with Hornady SST slugs.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Never shot an elk with a slug gun, (always stuck on a .300WinMag or a bow). When I used to hunt whitetails in western New York with a slug gun, I have never seen a deer drop so fast. I don't believe that you could throw a wet dish towel on the ground as fast as a deer falls down and I'm sure that the dish towel would move more after hitting the ground.

In Pennsylvania’s management unit 2B it’s shotgun only. Lots of us have built great slug guns. I use Lightfield slugs. Custom barrel with cantilever scope mount and a Leupold 2-7. I’ve tried all sizes but the two and three-quarter inch fly best. I have dropped deer at 150 yards no problem. I had a guy at a rifle range once offered to trade me his Weatherby mark five for my shotgun. Nope. Already got a big center fire. You’re right those slugs are a big chunk of lead. Know your range limits and that’s a wicked gun for any animal.

Maverick1

WKR
Those Savage in 20 ga. slug guns work well. Have not used one on an elk though. Good luck this season!

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Can't imagine that it wouldn't work on elk. I think the ballistics are even a bit better in the 20 ga. Has never let me down

Not an elk, but I dropped a cow nilgai at 150y with a 212 using Hornady SST’s in one shot and she didn’t make it anywhere from the high-shoulder shot. My gun likes the 3” accutips as well but they only chrono’d at 1600 fps which was way under advertised speed. I’m a big fan of the 212 and SST’s on deer, and after seeing it perform perfectly on a nilgai I wouldn’t have an issue with it on elk inside comfortable accuracy range.

I dont know why it wouldnt work. From my understanding of chasing the shot gun slug world ( where I hunt in TN is at Ft Campbell, and its shotgun/ML only) so I have gone through a bunch of a different slugs, shotguns etc lol but in the Rem Accutips the 12 ga is a 58 caliber bullet and the 20 ga is the same .450ish as the 459 bushmaster. Dont quote me as exact, I tore apart a bunch of 12 ga and 20 ga slugs few years back, wrote down and compared the bullets, and doing all this off my old brain. But pretty much modern slugs such as the Rem accutip, federal copper, hornady copper and sst all mimic to a degree the old horse called 45-70. My hunting partner is even using his 220 for regular deer hunting on his farm up to 200 yards, and they are devastating. If memory also serves me, in the shells I tore apart and measured, most of them the 12 ga and 20 ga (except in the Rem) were the same diameter, just different weights and sabot sizes. With in range, you should have no trouble. I myself love the way the federal coppers open up. Ive just put together a Encore 12 ga, and now will have to find what it likes lol.

rclouse79

WKR
Have been hunting Elk the last six years with a Savage 212 using 2 3/4" Remington Accutips. The hunt is a late season cow hunt in November. Whitetail is open at the same time. We have killed 5 elk with this setup. All shots in the 50-150 yard range. One exception was my son wacked one at 202 yards. She went down hill for a bit but piled up. These guns are very accurate with the right slugs and practice. I was able to hit a buck at 135 with it and lights out!
I have purchased the 220 this year and am currently setting it up with a camo job and a scope. I plan on trying it this year for the elk and see if it performs as well as the 212. I think with less recoil and 3" shells it is going to work great. Everything I have read they are supposed to be more accurate and similar ballistics just a lighter slug (260 grain vs. 385) but still a chunk. Love to hear your slug gun story on elk. We have never had a difficult track after our shots, all fell over in a short distance.
I bought a 220 for a November cow hunt the years I don't notch my archery tag. Two years ago was the first time I used it and took a cow about 75 yards away. She stood there after the first hit, so I shot again and she went down immediately. I found the slugs in the hide on the far side.
I have been super impressed with that gun. I put a 6x swfa scope on it and made a dope chart out to 200 yards. I have never had to dial on an animal, but it was dead nuts on paper all the way out to 200 yards. The dope chart on my 270 is for every 25 yards, where it is for every 5 yards with the 220.
I killed the elk with a Barnes vortex 20-gauge copper slug. I can't find any more of those bullets to save my life. The accutips shoot well out of the gun, and my son used one of those to take a doe out of a tree stand. I would prefer the Barnes slug for an elk, but I bet the accutip would get the job done.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Have shot many truck loads of pigs with Hornady SST’s out of my 212. Favourite gun for sure.

BDRam16

WKR
Love my 220 but I don’t think they make the 20ga Accutips anymore which has always been my round of choice. Luckily I have a few boxes saved up but it’s an awesome gun.