A Total FNG checking in from Castle Rock, Colorado

Jonboy71

FNG
I truly am a Total FNG to hunting Elk & Mule deer in the backcountry, originally from the Midwest with countless hours of tree-stand hunting.
I have only been chasing Elk for a few seasons now. Two years ago I made the commitment of going solo DIY Backcountry wilderness hunting, both archery & rifle, and have loved every minute of it since. I had been hunting with a group of work buddies in the Gunnison Area, but the running all over God's country on a four wheeler or getting run over by a four wheeler, just wasn't my style. But the first time I hiked into the wilderness, I knew that it was the right choice!!
So, I have been unsuccessful the past two seasons, both with gun and bow, have had some close encounters, and some awesome hunts, but not the icing on the cake.
I've learned a ton the past two seasons, from hunting ,scouting, and awesome websites, like Rok-slide, hoping to make a few more friends that I can call hunting buddies. Its not easy finding friends that share a desire to hunt in the hardest way possible, that are willing to hump 7 miles to camp with 50+ lbs. on your back, to consider a tarp shelter with a tiny stove a luxury, and think that a hot mountain house meal is fine dining. But I thrive on this stuff and every time I hike into the wilderness I want to do it again & again!!
So if anyone that thinks like this, or shares the same passion wants to meet up for a beer and swap some stories, I'll buy the first round!!

Jon
"FNG from Castle Rock"

Welcome Jon. You definitely have the right attitude. Keep persevering and harvests will come.

Hey Guys, thanks for all the support, and yes, I totally understand the importance of scouting and research, I did alot of this and spending countless hours looking at google earth before I decided on a wilderness area to hunt. Since then, I have been trying to get to the area at least once a month starting in june, sometimes twice, and that has definitly helped find all the nooks and crannies those elk love. I spent about 15 days during last season observing alot of elk and their patterns, escape routes and typical bedding areas, pretty confident I can put all the pieces of the puzzle together this fall!!
Aron, thanks for the invite, I will definitly give you a call, and Congrats on your recent article in EBJ, I love the "How fast do you think you can get over there?" I have no idea, but I'm going to look like a rabbit on crack trying" !!

Thanks Again
Jon

Aron is a huge resource. He will get you down the right path for sure.

Back