AAE Max Hunter Vanes - Won't stay glued on?

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like all of you are using vanes rather than feathers, and while I know vanes are impervious to weather, feathers are a little faster (but also a little more noisy). I use Bohning Fletch Tape, and have never had an issue. I only use feathers though, and as a trad guy I'll use dip tubes with Fletch-Lac to seal my cedar shafts, then a short tube to dip for the crown before I crest them. There have been times where the crowning paint and their glue weren't compatible, but the tape completely solved this issue. Haven't made any carbon arrows yet though-just got my high-speed saw yesterday, so we'll see.

Brendan

WKR
Old thread - but anyone have any issues with these vanes recently?

I've always followed the same routine. AAE Max Stealth, with a wrap. Wipe the wrap off with a towel. I've used both acetone on a Q-Tip and the AAE Primer Pen before on the vanes - then wipe on a towel, with the same results. Then, Firenock AGO600 Glue. I literally couldn't pull a vane off with pliers after it dries...

Until today. Followed the same routine and lost every, single, vane out of a dozen arrows.... Thinking a glue issue, or something with the batch of vanes covered in mold release or something.

Pretty shitty to spend that money and that time and lose every single one, but getting ready to give it a go again with even better cleaning of the vanes and a different bottle of glue. Primer pen ran out so it's just acetone for this time...

FNG
Back in the '80's, when I started bowhunting, I bought my XX75's pre-fletched from Bowhunters Discount Warehouse. Their standard vane was AAE plasti fletch elite and I can't remember them ever falling off. I started fletching my own in '89 and purchased the same AAE vanes from BDW and could never get them to stick. Of course I was using Fletch-Tite which they even said not to use. Bought their glue and they still fell off. Switched to Bohning products and never strayed until this spring. I really wanted to try 4 fletch AAE max stealth. I figured that almost 30 years later and untold numbers of shafts fletched I wouldn't have any problems. I bought their glue, white vanes, primer pen. Well they fell off. I had to laugh as it reminded me of being 18 again back when I couldn't get them to stick the first time. I tried them on Fletch-Lac dipped shafts, wraps, and bare. I cleaned the bare shafts in Bohning SR shaft cleaner and MEK. I'm not buying their wet wipes.

I tried some Silent Knights and sanded the vane base first. They stuck fine to Bohning wraps with Platinum Fletchtite. But I didn't like them as well for fixed blade broadhead accuracy versus regular Blazers.

TheCougar

WKR
Use the primer pen on the base of the vanes. I don't use their recommended glue (I use Goat Tuff). The primer pen flat out works and those vanes stick better than any others I have installed.

ontarget7

WKR
I’ll go through issues with AAE vanes as well.
Just went through this last night with some. Prepping bases and shafts with no luck on three different glues including Max Bond.

Switch to a 2” Blazer and they adhered just fine.
It’s got to be a hit and miss thing with their vanes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I use the cleaning wipes, primer pen and then what ever glue i am using at the time..so far i havent had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
This is what gets me. I have about 2 dozen Easton Axis with these vanes, prepped the same way, that I can't get the vanes off if I tried. Decided to order a new primer pen and new glue and see if that does the trick, or if it's something with the new vanes themselves. Will report back next week.

TheCougar

WKR
Old thread - but anyone have any issues with these vanes recently?

I've always followed the same routine. AAE Max Stealth, with a wrap. Wipe the wrap off with a towel. I've used both acetone on a Q-Tip and the AAE Primer Pen before on the vanes - then wipe on a towel, with the same results. Then, Firenock AGO600 Glue. I literally couldn't pull a vane off with pliers after it dries...

Until today. Followed the same routine and lost every, single, vane out of a dozen arrows.... Thinking a glue issue, or something with the batch of vanes covered in mold release or something.

Pretty shitty to spend that money and that time and lose every single one, but getting ready to give it a go again with even better cleaning of the vanes and a different bottle of glue. Primer pen ran out so it's just acetone for this time...

When this has happened to me in the past, it has been the result of bad glue. Granted, it was blazers that all fell off, but I would question the glue before I blame the vanes- especially since you are already wiping the bases.

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
I know this sounds crazy, but I had the same issue with the same vanes out of nowhere. After trying every combo of glue and wraps, it kept happening. Lots of money and headaches later I figured it out. I was fletching all my arrows in the basement at my work area. My wife had recently bought a new dehumidifier for down there. She put it right next to my desk( right where my arrows were drying). Turns out, the dehumidifier was sucking all the moisture out of my glue. What a mess! Just glad I figured it out before sept.

I have an order of pink and white max stealths, primer pen, and glue in the mail right now. Should be here tomorrow, I'll try and pass on my results as soon as I can. Hopefully everything works as planned

ontarget7

WKR
Some new ones showed up and this batch zero issues so far, even with that helical.

It has to be a hit and miss with certain batches of them.
6af58507f2b3891ceb4a6536b2b61566.jpeg

6a4fa37ddc2af3f5ef2d5533582b485c.jpeg

Brendan

WKR
Some new ones showed up and this batch zero issues so far, even with that helical.

It has to be a hit and miss with certain batches of them.

Really hoping it's not a bad batch. Bought 200 of them.

Anyone ever have luck calling AAE for replacements if that proves to be the case?

ontarget7

WKR
Really hoping it's not a bad batch. Bought 200 of them.

Anyone ever have luck calling AAE for replacements if that proves to be the case?

Well, I may have jumped the gun

I have a half dozen new ones I just did with the AAE Max Stealth and the other six 2” Blazers.

These sat untouched for a day and I can pull the AAE’s off by hand, the Blazers I cannot.

HookUp

WKR
I am religious about using the AAE primer pen and max bond glue. I have never had an issue with any color including the batch I did this week. I also tip and tail with the max bond and it works great.

I fletched up 3 arrows earlier this evening (5mm axis, no wraps, used the pen and max glue), they seem to be holding. I plan on shooting them tomorrow and will let yall know if mine fall off

Brendan

WKR
Ok. Got new glue, new primer pen and did some tests.

Initial testing looks like it was the acetone and/or q tips that was not working. Maybe one of the two were contaminated, because that combo has worked fine for me in the past.

Used an AAE primer pen, a quick swipe of a towel to make sure the base was dry, then used both Firenock AGO600 (Old bottle, and a new bottle) and AAE Max Bond - no difference except I can get the Firenock on much cleaner and more accurately because of the little stainless tips. Haven't been able to pull a vane off by hand yet, and I've tried multiple arrows.

I'm using a bitzenburger helical clamp, with an adjustable Firenock jig to make sure that the vane is lying completely flat / true on the shaft.

Will update if they start coming off at the range.

With all AAE max vanes i prep the shaft and base of the vane with acetone. I use AAE maxbond glue (as their instructions state) and they hold great. Im sure if you use a glue similar in chemical make up it would work equally well. Maxbond is a cryanoacrylate ester which i believe is different than regular cryanoacrylate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is the way to go for me too. I use almost the same exact system. Acetone the shafts, primer pen the vanes on the blitzenburger clip, max bond glue, and then a dot of glue at the front and rear of each vane. it takes quite a bit to get them off after that. All I shoot are AAE.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk