Abbreviation Question

robwill54

FNG
I'm looking at a Winchester On Taurus Firearms site and I'm wondering about the use of "NS" in the description. It reads:

Winchester Featherweight 7MM-08 NS

What am I missing?

Bob

Wapiti1

WKR
Just guessing, but could be no sights, or they missed a letter and it is NOS for a BACO made M70 that is new.

I've never seen a Winchester with NS as an abbreviation for anything on it.

Jeremy

"Winchester introduced the Nickel Steel barrel alloy in early 1895 (with the introduction of the 30 WCF). It was the standard barrel alloy material for all Model 1894 barrels made for the 30 WCF, 25-35 WCF, and 32 WS cartridges until early 1932 when Winchester switched to Proof Steel as standard."

OP
R

robwill54

FNG
"Winchester introduced the Nickel Steel barrel alloy in early 1895 (with the introduction of the 30 WCF). It was the standard barrel alloy material for all Model 1894 barrels made for the 30 WCF, 25-35 WCF, and 32 WS cartridges until early 1932 when Winchester switched to Proof Steel as standard."
So do you think they are referring to the barrel or the bolt? Browning’s website talks about their bolts being stamped “NS” .
And which steel would make a better gun? The 2 Featherweights I am considering are priced the same at $759.

Bob

When Nickel is added to steel, the result is an alloy with increased toughness and corrosion resistance.
It's a better product, that costs more to make, definitely not a shortcut.

Wapiti1

WKR
Marking parts Nickel Steel stopped back in the 1950's when the 4100 series of steel alloys (CrMo) became commonly available and used. It was a marketing tool at the time to denote higher quality from the standard plain carbon steel parts.

In today's world, it has no meaning from a practical perspective. A non-nickel part will perform identically to a nickel containing part. It doesn't affect or improve the steel in ways that are meaningful to a barrel, bolt, or receiver. At least not in a way that is better than the other alloys commonly used for those parts.

Jeremy

In today's world, it has no meaning from a practical perspective. A non-nickel part will perform identically to a nickel containing part. It doesn't affect or improve the steel in ways that are meaningful to a barrel, bolt, or receiver. At least not in a way that is better than the other alloys commonly used for those parts.

Jeremy
I don't believe this is a fair summary.
Steel with Nickel added, has better resistance to Rust and Corrosion, than Steel without it.