about to spend money...

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
About to pull the trigger on a Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08, talley rings, swarovski z3 4-12x50 with ballistic turret. Figure this should be a nice & handy mountain gun for elk and smaller out to about 500 yards. Total cost is going to be around $2,400 shipped. Should be a 6 lbs + gun unloaded with a strap.

Any reason NOT to do this?

Last edited:
If I had the money I would get the exact same setup in .308...... Going to be a great gun for you!

Always looked at a firearm purchase as an investment rather than an expendature. Just transferring little numbers in a checkbook to a tangible asset that can be enjoyed and still retain a decent amount of value. Contrary to someone taking a trip to lost wages and coming home with a lighter bank balance and really nothing to show for it. Enjoy your purchase, keep us posted on how you like it

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Well truth be told, couple years ago I took my 7mm to Kodiak for a goat hunt and it was a bit much when pushing bush given the overall length. It's killed a few deer and two elk since. I'm going back to AK this August for a sheep hunt so I'm wanting something light & handy, I'm just lucky that I can justify it as "another" 40th self-present.

ianpadron

WKR
Always looked at a firearm purchase as an investment rather than an expendature. Just transferring little numbers in a checkbook to a tangible asset that can be enjoyed and still retain a decent amount of value. Contrary to someone taking a trip to lost wages and coming home with a lighter bank balance and really nothing to show for it. Enjoy your purchase, keep us posted on how you like it
I'm stealing that!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Well dammit Todd. I'm stumped between the 308 and 7mm-08 now. I was all set too. Now I'm also fighting to not open my data file because it'll be back to 270 vs 308 vs 7mm08.

A little help!

For reference my only intact bolt gun is a ruger m77 30-06 with Leopold vx2 3-9x50. About 8.5 lbs all up, unloaded. I want a solid 500 yard gun that's light and handy, primarily for sheep and deer size game but up the ante to elk size game

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well dammit Todd. I'm stumped between the 308 and 7mm-08 now. I was all set too. Now I'm also fighting to not open my data file because it'll be back to 270 vs 308 vs 7mm08.

A little help!

For reference my only intact bolt gun is a ruger m77 30-06 with Leopold vx2 3-9x50. About 8.5 lbs all up, unloaded. I want a solid 500 yard gun that's light and handy, primarily for sheep and deer size game but up the ante to elk size game

Do you reload or is factory Ammo important?

JWP58

WKR

A little help!

Splitting hair. Either will do anything the other can do out to 500yds. The smaller caliber rounds are more sexy (7-08, 260, 6.5), but I doubt most folks would notice the difference from those in comparison to the 308win within avg. shooting distances.

It boils down to personal choice. I will say when I owned a 7-08 I was annoyed by the lack of choice in ammunition at my local sportsmans warehouse.

robie

WKR
I picked up a Montana in 7mm-08. Great gun and nice easy to pack around the mountain. I already had a 30-06 and wanted something my wife and future kids could shoot as well.

Great gun lots of quality factory ammo and in a bind you can find it on the shelf every place I've looked. I tested 5 or 6 different boxes adn Nosler 140 gr accubond has worked well for me.

With the brake on the recoil in non-existent.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
Well dammit Todd. I'm stumped between the 308 and 7mm-08 now. primarily for sheep and deer size game but up the ante to elk size game

7-08 would be my choice for your intended use. A good 140gr will do well out to 500 on both ballistics and terminal performance. When you go lighter, say 120gr or 110gr, you don't give up nearly as much ballistically as when you go that light in 30 cal.

You have the 30-06 for 165gr and heavier when needed.

I am considering the same rifle and already have that exact swaro scope to top it off with. I've about made my mind up on the 7mm08. I also kicked around the .308 some, but I think even the 7-08 will be fine on elk as well. I like you would not press it past 500 yards, with the majority of shots in the 100-300 yard range.

JigStick

WKR
Most of my rifles are customs on BAT or Stiller actions, but I do have some factory guns. Out of the factory lot Ive found my Sako actions to be the nicest. Just something about the Kimbers that doesn't feel right. Maybe aesthetics or finish....i don't know. Actions are like beer...everyone likes what they like. Have you ever handled a Sako?

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up my Swarovski z3 today. I'm closer... Handled some kimber mountain ascents (again) and a 308 Christensen arms ridgeline, still prefer the ca bolt to the mtn ascent, ca is a lot smoother. Eurooptic has a close out deal on the 7mm08 but they are 1:12 twist whereas the newer ones are 1:9, my thinking was to shoot heavy for the caliber rounds. 1:9 twist worth the extra $500?

Last edited:

JigStick

WKR
Using the 7mm-08 out to 500yds won't require you to shoot the heavy pills. You could certainly get away with that 1:12 and really drive the lighter bullets hard and fast. It will zap game very well. The only reason I see to go with the faster twist is if you are hunting in very windy areas, and need to use the heavier projectiles to buck the wind.

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my rifles are customs on BAT or Stiller actions, but I do have some factory guns. Out of the factory lot Ive found my Sako actions to be the nicest. Just something about the Kimbers that doesn't feel right. Maybe aesthetics or finish....i don't know. Actions are like beer...everyone likes what they like. Have you ever handled a Sako?

Not a sako, but I owned a tikka t3 7mm. Gave it to a client when he retired. Liked it quite fine, killed two Roosevelt elk and two Sitka blacktails. True about the actions...

Last edited:
OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Using the 7mm-08 out to 500yds won't require you to shoot the heavy pills. You could certainly get away with that 1:12 and really drive the lighter bullets hard and fast. It will zap game very well. The only reason I see to go with the faster twist is if you are hunting in very windy areas, and need to use the heavier projectiles to buck the wind.

I'll be hunting this August for Dall sheep in the wrangal mtns, unit 11/12 not sure of the wind but at 6k feet I'm sure ther will be some! Oregon coast can get nasty where I usually hunt though.

OP
B

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering the same rifle and already have that exact swaro scope to top it off with. I've about made my mind up on the 7mm08. I also kicked around the .308 some, but I think even the 7-08 will be fine on elk as well. I like you would not press it past 500 yards, with the majority of shots in the 100-300 yard range.

What ranges were you thinking to set the turret at?