Accuracy with a dot reticle (Trij Accu)

I’m considering an accupoint 3-9 for my new Tikka Superlite. It’s lightweight (13oz) and a Trij… so favorable in reliability, good glass , etc.

But, it doesn’t have a reticle I’m excited about. What is it like shooting the dot reticle? How big is the dot? Is it adjustable or dimmable? How much does the dot cover at 100 yards? Can you shoot a 1/2” group at 100 with a dot that covers an inch at 100?

Have Only shot traditional straight crosshairs and Duplex crosshairs in past.

Thanks for any help!

Macintosh

WKR
the dot is 0.4moa at 9x, so the dot is not going to cover an inch at 100--it'll cover a hair less than 1/2". the crosshair itself is .5moa, that is actually thicker than the dot itself. I dont know if I could personally shoot 1/2" groups with it, but I dont think it would significantly reduce my precision enough to matter for any use where I'd be using a 3-9x 2fp non-dialing scope. Realistically, what kind of precision do you need from it? And is this any thicker than the standard duplex reticles you have used in the past? (I dont know how it compares to leupold, etc)

If you want more precision, the Credo 3-9x40 has very good illumination for when you want the reticle visible, but it has a pretty fine center crosshair (0.125moa @9x).

accupoint dot reticle.JPG

bnsafe

WKR
I did that exact thing a couple months ago and had the same concern. The dot is really really small, almost to small for my bad eyes. But, I made 2 very quick shots in low light and the dot was AWESOME. Both shots were perfect, an I am a long ways from a perfect shot at those distances. I dont think I would go back, the only thing I wish diff was if they made a 3x9x50 instead.

JakeT

Lil-Rokslider
I did that exact thing a couple months ago and had the same concern. The dot is really really small, almost to small for my bad eyes. But, I made 2 very quick shots in low light and the dot was AWESOME. Both shots were perfect, an I am a long ways from a perfect shot at those distances. I dont think I would go back, the only thing I wish diff was if they made a 3x9x50 instead.
They do make the 2.5-10x56. Thinking I may try a few of those for my straight wall hunting rifles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Clayman77

FNG
It’s all I hunt with . It’s accurate enough for me out to 300 . I don’t have any shot further than that . Best scope in the business for simple short range hunting lowlight . At least I think so

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Many people shoot much better with illuminated dots. I belong in that camp, including archery and handgun. I suspect the dot improves focus/attention. I like chevron sights the best, though, since there’s no worry about dot size and its appearance at distances. Whatever I see on the chevron tip will go down.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
This is a killing scope vs target scope. If you want to kill things out to 400ish get the mildot.

Btw, a key to shooting tighter groups with open sights or low mag scopes is to just use a larger aim point.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Agree. It’s hard to beat ffp with mildot, if you learn how to utilize it fully.

TxxAgg

WKR
I have 2. Big fan. The illumination is based on surrounding ambient light so it's usually just bright enough.

OP
Hornseeker
Cool, appreciate the feedback. I think I’ll order one!

Definitely a hunting gun… killing gun. And truth be known, every elk I’ve killed and most deer have been inside 100 yards…

Motown

WKR
Just curious, but is the duplex reticle more like the duplex reticle in a Leupold VX3 or is like a wide duplex?

bnsafe

WKR
the crosshairs are larger than what was on my freedom I think, at least it seems like it. For a hunting scope I really like them, prob not so much for precision long range.
Overall, I think its the best I have used for hunting, the dot just goes where I want it