mil dot question(s)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at a possible new scope that comes w/ a mil dot system. I understand (think I understand) that it was developed to range objects, I have a range finder so that's a pretty moot point.

What I'm interested in is how (or if it's possible) to use the dots as holdovers? Currently using a scope that the reticle has two dots below the crosshairs and with a 200 yard zero the second dot is spot on for 300 yards, the second 400 (and the start of the thicker duplex- 500 yards). No interest in dialing.

I'd like to keep the zero near 200 yards is there a way to figure out (armed w/ caliber, bullet weight/coefficient, velocity, etc) what each dot would represent in a holdover?

Can you fluctuate your zero to make the dots line up more optimally (ie 200/300/500)?

Thanks in advance.

FLS

WKR
You can use them for holdovers. Yardages won’t be exact but may be close enough depending on what you’re shooting and how big your target is. Better off dialing distance and holding wind.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm looking at a possible new scope that comes w/ a mil dot system. I understand (think I understand) that it was developed to range objects, I have a range finder so that's a pretty moot point.

What I'm interested in is how (or if it's possible) to use the dots as holdovers? Currently using a scope that the reticle has two dots below the crosshairs and with a 200 yard zero the second dot is spot on for 300 yards, the second 400 (and the start of the thicker duplex- 500 yards). No interest in dialing.

I'd like to keep the zero near 200 yards is there a way to figure out (armed w/ caliber, bullet weight/coefficient, velocity, etc) what each dot would represent in a holdover?

Can you fluctuate your zero to make the dots line up more optimally (ie 200/300/500)?

Thanks in advance.

That’s not the optimum way, however yes you can use a mil system like that.

What is your bullet, and MV?

Ckenny22

FNG
Yes, that is precisely what I do. I’m no pro, but it works for me. I will say this, I like mil dot and have a trijicon . Accupoint in Mils. But if I could go back I would have gotten an MOA scope. Reason being, no one i hunt with uses Mils. So they are giving me MOAs and then in the field you have to use the 50% rule or go to your Hornady ballistics app or something. It just takes too much time to try and transfer. If you hunt solo or don’t care, or maybe your just a math wizard than it probably won’t matter. Also, unless you’re capable of 1” groups at 1,000 then it doesn’t matter more than personal preference. Just my experience. Keep it simple and make sure you and the boys are hunting and shooting the same units.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zero at 100 yards then your table will track nearly exactly like this-

100y- 0
200y- .5 mils
300y- 1 mil
400y- 2 mils
500y- 3 mils
600y- 4 mils

Thanks! That lines up pretty nicely :)

What happens w/ a 200 yard zero (or anywhere close to 200-250-ish)?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some ballistic applications can tell you what ranges each dot is for based on your specific loads.

If you shoot at sea level and then hunt at elevation, holdovers can change. Running it with a ballistic calculator you can always know the dope and drop.

Ckenny22

FNG

100y- 0
200y- .5 mils
300y- 1 mil
400y- 2 mils
500y- 3 mils
600y- 4 mils

This is relatively close and good to have an idea. It’s quite a bit off from where I’m at a 100Y 0. But everyone should have their own dope sheet.

100y-0
200y- .5
300y- 1
400y - 1.5
500y - 2.25
600y - 3.5
800y - 5.5 (my turret allows for full adjust. But I usually just turn 3 and hold 2.5)

I don’t guess it’s that far off but those .5 mile matter. I’m assuming your comment was specific to his .308? I’m shooting a .300 win mag which is quite different ballistic coefficients.

Ckenny22

FNG
Some ballistic applications can tell you what ranges each dot is for based on your specific loads.

If you shoot at sea level and then hunt at elevation, holdovers can change. Running it with a ballistic calculator you can always know the dope and drop.

This is more real than I expected. Just hunted at 11k-13.5k elevation in CO and my dope sheet wasn’t even usable. Switched to the Hornady ballistics app to account for the elevation variable, pressure, etc. the effect was drastic.

SouthPaw

WKR

100y- 0
200y- .5 mils
300y- 1 mil
400y- 2 mils
500y- 3 mils
600y- 4 mils
@mtwarden do it this way. Zero at 100 and walk around with it dialed to .5 if you want the gun set at 200 in the field. It is silly easy to memorize and get your drops on demand with the above base and simple adjustments as needed. Practicing like this and killing on demand, it's incredibly fast and efficient to 500-600yds.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@mtwarden do it this way. Zero at 100 and walk around with it dialed to .5 if you want the gun set at 200 in the field. It is silly easy to memorize and get your drops on demand with the above base and simple adjustments as needed. This year I've started practicing like this and killing on demand, it's incredibly fast and efficient to 500-600yds.

He said he has no interest in dialing. To make the mil system work easiest with his load, zero at 100 yards and leave it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In that case this will only work at the nominated magnification of that particular scope

my current scope works the same- highest power to get the holdovers correct, hasn't been a big deal