Advice for bringing your dog on a hunt

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
So my buddy who I usually hunt with had to bail on our trip so instead of going solo I thought I’d bring my dog. Called Colorado and made sure there were no rules against it and most of what they said was just use common sense. Although the CPW person I spoke with made it sound like there were lots of conflicts with dogs and hunters but usually from hikers letting their crack head dog off leash. My dog and I have done a lot of hiking together so not really concerned about that part.

So my main question I have is for those of you who regularly bring your dog is there anything you would recommend as far as equipment/supplies/med kit to have along for the hunt for the dog? Is there anything that you don’t leave without or always make sure you have for the pups.
We will be camping at the truck in a wall tent and doing day trips. 2nd rifle season CO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORHunter

WKR
I bring my dogs on lots of hunts but I just kennel them in the truck or at camp while I'm out hunting. If I'm going to be out from dark to dark I don't bring them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I bring my dog on lots of hunts, including turkey hunts.

If it is rifle season I make sure she wears some kind of orange, either a dog pack or an orange vest. In her dog pack I have a synthetic blanket for her for warmth if backpacked in. Other than that just food and the normal stuff.

I am planning on a backpack mule deer hunt in AZ in November and the dog will come with me. Only thing that really concerns me is if it is really cold, cause we won't be moving much and she will get chilly. I generally leave her home in that instance.

Have 100% control over your dog at all times. If you do not, then your choice to bring your dog may result in ruining other peoples' hunts let alone harassing wildlife. Not saying your dog nor you are bad, just that there are a lot of ass hats out there that let their dogs act like their kids.

Came within a fraction of a millimeter of blowing a dog's head off once when it came to say hello to me at the business end of my rifle as I was taking a shot. Thankfully my finger got off the trigger before it broke.

POS humans did not have control of their dog and it almost paid the price for their stupidity. Then the damn dog went after the deer I was about to shoot; waited all day for it to stand up.

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Have 100% control over your dog at all times. If you do not, then your choice to bring your dog may result in ruining other peoples' hunts let alone harassing wildlife. Not saying your dog nor you are bad, just that there are a lot of ass hats out there that let their dogs act like their kids.

Came within a fraction of a millimeter of blowing a dog's head off once when it came to say hello to me at the business end of my rifle as I was taking a shot. Thankfully my finger got off the trigger before it broke.

POS humans did not have control of their dog and it almost paid the price for their stupidity. Then the damn dog went after the deer I was about to shoot; waited all day for it to stand up.

That falls into the “common sense” stuff I was talking about. I 100% agree and he will be on a leash at all times except a few times at camp, but even that depends on the situation. Been trained off leash since he was a pup but still won’t be letting him wonder while hunting. While not hunting, my wife and I have been out on our horses and people let their dogs off leash to run and I can’t tell you how many times yippy barking dogs almost got stomped by my wife’s mare who tolerates dogs at best. I won’t be “that guy”

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I bring my dog on lots of hunts, including turkey hunts.

If it is rifle season I make sure she wears some kind of orange, either a dog pack or an orange vest. In her dog pack I have a synthetic blanket for her for warmth if backpacked in. Other than that just food and the normal stuff.

I am planning on a backpack mule deer hunt in AZ in November and the dog will come with me. Only thing that really concerns me is if it is really cold, cause we won't be moving much and she will get chilly. I generally leave her home in that instance.

Orange vest is def one I was planning on doing. He’s a large black dog so don’t want an a-hat taking a shot thinking he’s a bear or something. I usually pack a woobie for day hikes but didn’t think about it for him yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Granted, I've never taken my dogs on a big game hunt.

But I don't know how many trips I've taken the bird dogs.

Canned food (make sure they eat)
Too much water
First aid kit (including sutures/staple gun and benadryl)
Extra leash

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I take my dog on almost every hunting trip! He always likes my plans:)

Orange vest
Kifaru Weebie
And wax for his pads if they get cracked or blown.

076695c1b79cccbed3fabe3652413820.jpg

d6e1444667caf4696793b7676e8f8a99.jpg

878e038fb9776825ba1793d86536e15d.jpg

f6bc77b724199417c2d87dab3a0f2d9c.jpg

From our hunt last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I take my dog on almost every hunting trip! He always likes my plans:)

Orange vest
Kifaru Weebie
And wax for his pads if they get cracked or blown.

076695c1b79cccbed3fabe3652413820.jpg

d6e1444667caf4696793b7676e8f8a99.jpg

878e038fb9776825ba1793d86536e15d.jpg

f6bc77b724199417c2d87dab3a0f2d9c.jpg

From our hunt last week.

Question on dog foot care
Any type of wax you recommend?
You ever use booties fir when it snows?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Question on dog foot care
Any type of wax you recommend?
You ever use booties fir when it snows?

He won’t do booties I’ve tried. I talked to a dog racing lady that suggested wax and it’s worked great even in lots of day with ice and snow.

7ce6fcd515055dd956b35021cb3cccc9.jpg

9c5086f366692f0a7867c7537763de1e.jpg

c767e5d39471f74ae51d71eaa322a49e.jpg

ae1dd8fe106d5b264f06b7136ae8eb72.jpg

94cc6af89f039d4473fdf83629905372.jpg

f9e5f81a8fe22662e94d6b27a31dc16f.jpg

694bc13012b0d7558d2a28dc51edc5f3.jpg

Z-pad for naps, hi viz coat for warmth/visibility, know that it does add a bit a trouble sometimes but worth it. Give them a once over every day to check pads/cuts.
I couldn’t imagine dealing with leashes and what not but you do need to have 100% control at all times. Have fun!
7C9E535F-3B22-4F15-9C51-CC42A87B55E4.jpeg
365BCA7E-95C4-4DDD-B27A-00D86AC467EF.jpeg
733F159C-D090-41A4-95D5-87C333455154.jpeg
0C6A98C0-6DE0-463E-90C6-549C978BC79B.jpeg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Z-pad for naps, hi viz coat for warmth/visibility, know that it does add a bit a trouble sometimes but worth it. Give them a once over every day to check pads/cuts.
I couldn’t imagine dealing with leashes and what not but you do need to have 100% control at all times. Have fun!
View attachment 610717
View attachment 610716
View attachment 610718
could not agree more on 100% controlled. I have trained Buzz to walk behind me or sit behind me and he won't move. I would NEVER leave a dog leashed up by himself in the woods.

GSPHUNTER

WKR

rclouse79

WKR
I have taken my border collie on a spring bear hunts a few times. It is nice to exercise the dog while getting to hang out with your buddy. I have never shot my gun around my dog, so I planned to attach the leash to my pack if I were to shoot just in case he freaked out.

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
could not agree more on 100% controlled. I have trained Buzz to walk behind me or sit behind me and he won't move. I would NEVER leave a dog leashed up by himself in the woods.

Can’t imagine leaving him leashes up by himself either. And like I said I’ve trained him to be off leash since he was a pup. He spent most of his life growing up off leash at a barn and around horses when not home and he’s come with my wife and I on lots of trail rides off leash. But just plan on having him on a leash so people can’t complain or call a warden about having a loose dog or whatnot.

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 610717
View attachment 610716
View attachment 610718
View attachment 610720

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to pack an extra z-pad.

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions.
Does anyone use ear protection for their dogs? I shoot a braked rifle and can’t imagine not having some for myself but don’t know if any of you have experience with that with your pups. Any recommendations?

That falls into the “common sense” stuff I was talking about. I 100% agree and he will be on a leash at all times except a few times at camp, but even that depends on the situation. Been trained off leash since he was a pup but still won’t be letting him wonder while hunting. While not hunting, my wife and I have been out on our horses and people let their dogs off leash to run and I can’t tell you how many times yippy barking dogs almost got stomped by my wife’s mare who tolerates dogs at best. I won’t be “that guy”

Intent was not personal.

Far too many people tend to think too highly of themselves, their kids, their pets, etc and that does not always align with reality. Don't necessarily care about what happens to a human when their stupidity kicks in, but I do care when a kid or pet pays the price for the adult's stupidity.

Guilty of a few things on my side (just ask my wife).

OP
N

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Intent was not personal.

Far too many people tend to think too highly of themselves, their kids, their pets, etc and that does not always align with reality. Don't necessarily care about what happens to a human when their stupidity kicks in, but I do care when a kid or pet pays the price for the adult's stupidity.

Guilty of a few things on my side (just ask my wife).

Didn’t take it that way and I 100% agree with what you said.