Recommended Lab Breeders for Family Dog in Midwest

Greetings all,

Looking for recommendations on reputable Labrador breeders that you have first hand experience with or that someone you trust has first hand experience with. I’m in Indiana but would be willing to drive up to ~4 hours if needed. We’ve had two really difficult, heart breaking experiences with rescue labs that didn’t work out, and so we are now looking for a puppy. This would be solely a family dog. I’m not looking for a hunting dog, field trial dog, show dog, etc. but don’t care if that’s the main purpose of the breeder either. My only concern is good temperament and good health. Color does not matter. We’d be willing to move pretty quickly or wait for a new litter as well.

Look forward to any recommendations you all have.

Tahoe1305

WKR
We got our puppy a year ago from
Smith Northfork Fox Red Labs, Zanesville, Ohio. They have a Facebook page. They just had their last litter and I think have a few left.

Our pups been awesome. We have two kids and no issues. She potty trained well, doesn’t bark ever, been healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_9533.jpeg
    IMG_9533.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
B

Look on their all those dogs will have proper health certs done. Make sure to tell the breeder what you want and they will know if the puppy will be what you want
Thanks @KurtR . Would you blindly trust that website? Meaning they vet anyone on there? I’ll still do my own due diligence but curious to hear your thoughts.

KurtR

WKR
Thanks @KurtR . Would you blindly trust that website? Meaning they vet anyone on there? I’ll still do my own due diligence but curious to hear your thoughts.
I would but I would also talk to the breeder as some of those dogs will be to much for what you want. I know some of the people when I just did a quick look. They don’t list anything that doesn’t have ofa and proper genetics. If you find a litter you like I could look at the pedigree and see if I know any of the dogs.

OP
B
I would but I would also talk to the breeder as some of those dogs will be to much for what you want. I know some of the people when I just did a quick look. They don’t list anything that doesn’t have ofa and proper genetics. If you find a litter you like I could look at the pedigree and see if I know any of the dogs.

I appreciate that. I’m going to call around today and then will deep dive the website over the next few days.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
We hit the lottery when we picked up our lab, couldn't have asked for a more mild mannered, devoted companion - great family dog, did not get him for hunting - but they were over in Central/East Pennsylvania.

Dennis

WKR
I to would have recommended Candlewood Kennels and Mary Howley. Since she has retired I think I'll try
Watermark Retrievers from Giddings , Texas for my next Lab.

OP
B
I just received a voicemail from Mary confirming that. Bummer. She recommended Watermark. I won’t be going that far for a house dog, though.

Tahoe1305

WKR
For a family pet, and the timing, I’d give smith Norfolk a call. 3+30 from Indianapolis.

Attachments

• IMG_9044.jpeg
    IMG_9044.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 19

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
Find a trainer in your area, or trainers that local guys know, and see if they have any leads. Not sure how far from Selmer, TN you are, but the trainer I use there always has leads on litters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Ever think about researching and contacting a lab oriented rescue? Lots of great dogs out there needing homes that would make a great family dog. Our Molly, a full blood lab, was a shelter dog. Great companion, God bless her departed soul.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Many of the rescues get puppies. My Ziva was a mix but primarily English Lab. She was absolutely the best! Down to one dog now, Duke who we got as a pup from a rescue. He is a Redbone Coonhound. Looking to give him a companion as we still think he is missing Ziva. A rescue about an hour from me has purebred Amercian Foxhound pups in right now.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Try googling Petfinders and/ or just google "lab rescues near me". Your vet clinic can and probably will recommend a good rescue as well.

I can see working with a breeder for a working/hunting dog. For a pet and family dog, there are just so many great dogs out there not to go with a rescue ( breed specific ) or local shelters and humane society. Save a life!

OP
B
Been down the rescue path (2x). Didn’t work out for us. Both had aggression issues which was a no go around small children. Still support that and happy for people when it works out. Anyways, that wasn’t the question posed for the thread.