Advice on a scope upgrade for UL rifle

Hello all, I am the proud “owner” (actually my father in laws but he doesn’t hunt) ULA rifle chambered in .30-06. When I first started using it I was tight on money so it has a vortex diamondback on it right now.

I feel dirty every time I use it knowing I have such a high end rifle with entry level glass on it. What would I be wise to save up and put on it? I’m not overly experienced in optics. I just want something reliable and worthy of the rifle it’s on. I don’t shoot crazy far. Currently 300yds, I’d like to get comfortable a little further, but I’m not a long range sniper by any means.

jimh406

WKR
I'm not sure what "worthy" means to you, but you can spend as much as you want for optics. However, make sure you save money for very good mounting system.

Have fun shopping.

OP
T
I'm not sure what "worthy" means to you, but you can spend as much as you want for optics. However, make sure you save money for very good mounting system.

Have fun shopping.
Yeah like I said I’m not very experienced in them. Especially higher end stuff. As far as mounting, there’s only one option that I’m aware of for the rifle as they’re custom. It has a higher rear mount than front. Quite odd in my opinion but it works.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Nightforce SHV 3.5-10x42 in reticle you like. If shooting 300 and in, a simple duplex is more than sufficient and works better in brush/dark woods than their other reticles.

Weight, magnification range, price and exposed or capped turret. Narrow those down and you will have a manageable list to choose from.

TaperPin

WKR
As you look at different scopes, it’s not a bad idea to check the eye relief for each model and avoid those with an extra short distance. The 30-06 isn’t a super hard kicking rifle, but it’s enough that you don’t ever want to get hit in the eyebrow by the scope.

Good luck, and you’ll quickly find something you like - and we’ll get you shooting to 400 yards in no time. :)

Marshfly

WKR
How light is the rifle bare and what are you targeting for a finished weight? What I find is that people have totally different opinions of what a lightweight rifle is. For some that's 4.5# bare. For some that's 6#. For some, anything under 9# full up is lightweight.

That rifle in a 30-06 is going to buck pretty good. As you shop for a scope, keep eye relief in mind.

The Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 is a great scope for the money. The only caution with it is that if the rifle has a 90 degree bolt throw, there can be clearance issues. If you hunt first and last light in timber, a lighted reticle makes a lot of sense.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious. Should we presume that the Diamondback is not meeting your needs or has failed in some way? OR....do you just want to spend money? Not knocking that, by the way. I will say that personally I try to ascertain what I`ll be gaining with something new over what I have, particularly when it comes to significant cash!

OP
T
Weight, magnification range, price and exposed or capped turret. Narrow those down and you will have a manageable list to choose from.
Thanks. I need all the help I can get! I’m starting to dig into it a little and decode terms

OP
T
Nightforce SHV 3.5-10x42 in reticle you like. If shooting 300 and in, a simple duplex is more than sufficient and works better in brush/dark woods than their other reticles.

Glad to see this mentioned. It was one I was keeping an eye on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
As you look at different scopes, it’s not a bad idea to check the eye relief for each model and avoid those with an extra short distance. The 30-06 isn’t a super hard kicking rifle, but it’s enough that you don’t ever want to get hit in the eyebrow by the scope.

Good luck, and you’ll quickly find something you like - and we’ll get you shooting to 400 yards in no time. :)

That’s a good tip. I’ve knocked myself with it a couple times shooting at the range. 06 recoil isn’t bad until you make it that light, and then it can get a bit squirrelly.

I’d love to get comfortable at longer distances! Just hard in my area to find anywhere to shoot them shamefully. I struggle to get more than 300 at my farm and closest 1000yd range to me is over an hour. Sucks.

OP
T
Just curious. Should we presume that the Diamondback is not meeting your needs or has failed in some way? OR....do you just want to spend money? Not knocking that, by the way. I will say that personally I try to ascertain what I`ll be gaining with something new over what I have, particularly when it comes to significant cash!

It hasn’t failed. It seems more and more bad stories are coming out of vortex with needing to cash in on the warranty. Don’t get me wrong, I have their Binos and range finder and like them, but when it comes down to it, the last thing I want giving out on me is a scope. My theory is a rifle built to be as accurate as this gun was should have a scope built to that same quality. I also like the idea of an illuminated reticle as I hunt in the woods a lot at home, and I’m toying with exposed turrets for when I start learning to shoot further, if nothing else, just for fun. However, if I can be convinced what I have is sufficient, I’ll find a new toy to get! Haha

How light is the rifle bare and what are you targeting for a finished weight? What I find is that people have totally different opinions of what a lightweight rifle is. For some that's 4.5# bare. For some that's 6#. For some, anything under 9# full up is lightweight.

So I honestly don’t have a perfect weight on it as I never weighed it before I mounted the scope. Based off of what the new ones weigh, it should be between 5-6 pounds. I don’t have a “target” weight in mind. If there’s an ultra light scope that makes sense, I’d be interested. However, I’m not against sacrificing a little weight to get something worth my money.

Dennis

WKR
I have had good luck with Swarovski Z3 3-10 42 with BRX and Z5 3.5-18 X 44 BT W4 scopes on light weight rifles.
Also a fan of Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 X 42 and about has heavy as I want on a light rifle.

I have a Fieldcraft 30-06 with a 24" #2 barrel. So, probably similar to your ULA. If you want to stay light and are not recoil sensitive, a Leupold fixed 6x (6x36 or 6x42) might make for a good combo. I went with an SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 which is considerably heavier than the previously mentioned Leupolds. I haven't weighed it yet, but I like the weight and it seems to balance well.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think he’s being no sarcastic….but that said I really like my Gen I razor LH 3-15 on lightweight rigs. I’ve never had an issue with it and dropped it many times.

Not made anymore though so tougher to come by. But used in the $500-600 every few months or so. It’s 16oz for reference. Useable reticle but SFP and non Illuminated.