Advice on a scope upgrade for UL rifle

Hello all, I am the proud “owner” (actually my father in laws but he doesn’t hunt) ULA rifle chambered in .30-06. When I first started using it I was tight on money so it has a vortex diamondback on it right now.

I feel dirty every time I use it knowing I have such a high end rifle with entry level glass on it. What would I be wise to save up and put on it? I’m not overly experienced in optics. I just want something reliable and worthy of the rifle it’s on. I don’t shoot crazy far. Currently 300yds, I’d like to get comfortable a little further, but I’m not a long range sniper by any means.
If you want what should be about the best quality glass you can put on it for the money, I suggest the meopta meostar 3-12x56. They’re not cheap at around $1500 but the glass quality is on par with $3000 swaro’s or zeiss scopes and you’re only paying 1/2 the price. You will be giving up a little fov over the swaro or zeiss, but I don’t think it’s enough to justify the difference in price. If you happened to find one used in excellent shape for a good price, you would be set. If you want a scope for long range with dialing in mind, I would probably recommend the vortex viper pst gen 2 unless you want to spend more money than that and then I’d recommend nightforce ATACR. So many great scopes out there nowadays so really hard to go wrong. I’m personally not a Leupold fan though but I’ll leave it at that.

OP
T
i have a Nightforce 2.5-10 on my NULA 284. On your 30-06 I think I’d go with a SWFA 3-9x42 which is what I have on several Barrett fieldcrafts.

Cool to hear from another NULA/ULA owner. Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I have a Fieldcraft 30-06 with a 24" #2 barrel. So, probably similar to your ULA. If you want to stay light and are not recoil sensitive, a Leupold fixed 6x (6x36 or 6x42) might make for a good combo. I went with an SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 which is considerably heavier than the previously mentioned Leupolds. I haven't weighed it yet, but I like the weight and it seems to balance well.
I have two Fieldcrafts and a Kimber MA and I've tried various scopes on each resulting in my preferring Leupold 6X 36 and 42mm with LR Duplex. Nice light and durable hunting scopes that don't make that svelte rifle clumsy.

Hello all, I am the proud “owner” (actually my father in laws but he doesn’t hunt) ULA rifle chambered in .30-06. When I first started using it I was tight on money so it has a vortex diamondback on it right now.

I feel dirty every time I use it knowing I have such a high end rifle with entry level glass on it. What would I be wise to save up and put on it? I’m not overly experienced in optics. I just want something reliable and worthy of the rifle it’s on. I don’t shoot crazy far. Currently 300yds, I’d like to get comfortable a little further, but I’m not a long range sniper by any means.
Having a lightweight optic to compliment your lightweight rifle is great in theory, however it is hard to find a lightweight optic that is truly reliable. It is better to have a scope that is a couple extra ounces than an unreliable scope. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 is a GREAT scope. It's not ultra light, but it's not what many people consider to be heavy. Best of all it's a VERY reliable scope. I have one on my personal hunting rifle and couldn't be happier.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Having a lightweight optic to compliment your lightweight rifle is great in theory, however it is hard to find a lightweight optic that is truly reliable. It is better to have a scope that is a couple extra ounces than an unreliable scope. The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 is a GREAT scope. It's not ultra light, but it's not what many people consider to be heavy. Best of all it's a VERY reliable scope. I have one on my personal hunting rifle and couldn't be happier.
The trijicon 2.5-15 is about the same weight with a tad more zoom and slightly different reticle. Passed durability tests as well.

I’ve enjoyed mine to date.