Africa

AKDoc

WKR
I went to Africa (Namibia) several years ago with a good friend and hunting partner, and we brought our wives with us as observers. It was an excellent trip that we all greatly enjoyed, and we are glad we did it.

All of our animals were spot and stalk, no water-hole hunting, nor anything other than seeing it and going after it. Spent three days and probably over twenty-miles hiking until I got a zebra! Our PH was one of the first (might even had been THE first) black Namibian to obtain his PH license, and that guy was fantastic...he could track animals like a blood-hound. He was truly amazing with scars on his arm from a leopard attack. He definitely made the trip even more fun.

Am I going back? Probably not, but that is not a negative comment about our experience...it was wonderful and a perfect opportunity to bring our wives along because the lodging, food, and services were truly outstanding and worth every penny...and we each took seven animals that are on our walls. We are VERY glad we went, and wouldn't change a thing. I'm saying that I'm probably not going back because I live in hunting heaven here in Alaska, and hunting for me is the remote adventure of living out of a tent in a totally remote setting without any other people around...just mother Nature and the animals...I absolutely love that. My wife and I enjoy other travels together.

WCB

WKR
Look for a hunt that is what you want. We did both when we went to Africa. Hunted from a vehicle on a preserve still got out and walked some. Also, went outside the fence and hiked for a day or so and shot some animals.

Have also been to NZ...If you do a free range foot hunt for Tahr or Chamois it is similar to a mountain goat or sheep hunt in the US. Although most the time you are dropped off by chopper then spend a few days camped on the mountain hunting from your tent, picked up and flown out at the end. If you want one of those giant stags...yeah you may be on foot but it is probably less of a hunt than driving around in Africa.

Having done both...I want to do both again. NZ for the mountains and Africa because it is Africa. If you go to Africa pick one or two animals you would like to mount and just have the rest European mounted. The ones you have actually mounted you can have done later. I know a friend that just got his last animal mounted from his Africa trip and it has easily been 5 years. Depending on how many animals you shoot you can find a really good African outfit for less than a guided NZ hunt. NZ is not a bargain by anymeans. Just to shoot 1 animal is going to cost you $5000 base line. Now add in flights shipping taxidermy. Africa you can shot 5 or 6 animals for that. Attend an SCI banquet and I've seen all included hunts with 3 or 4 animals go for under $2000

OP
M
Thanks everyone. I think this will be a 1 time trip or at least a long time between them. There are many reasons I want to do this hunt before some how it doesn’t become a possibility anymore. Not looking for high fence or the spa treatment.
I love taxidermy and will euro some of them but really don’t mind spending a little money for some pedestal mounts that I can hopefully look at for a long time.

Reactions: WCB

Sevens

WKR
I have hunted Africa twice and will go back as often as my wallet allows me. First trip I did in Mozambique, second was in Zimbabwe, both for dangerous game. Both were uniquely different hunts, different habitats, terrain and animals.

If you're looking for an "embrace the suck" type adventure, Africa is probably not your hunt. There are a few really tough African hunts, but the majority will provide you at least some creature comforts during the hunt.

Since it sounds like quantity of animals is not your interest, I would avoid South Africa. As others have mentioned, these are mostly just giant ranches where you can drive around all day until you find whatever you're seeking, do a short stalk then head back to a nice lodge. Namibia can be similar, but up along the Caprivi Strip will get you more of the "old Africa" experience.

I would talk with a good booking agent (or a few), discuss what type of hunt you are looking for and can afford, and see what they recommend. My first trip, I wanted an "untouched" Africa experience and found myself in Mozambique hunting Cape Buffalo. We stayed in tents some nights (actual tents, not the carpeted ones with beds), walked lots of miles a day and, generally, worked our butts off to find a buffalo. Yes, you have the trackers to carry water for you and you get some great meals, but I would still consider the hunt to have been very tough, both mentally and physically. Something like this sounds like what you're seeking. While not as cheap as a South African plains game hunt, still way more affordable than an Alaskan Moose hunt.

I would also recommend you try and collect as many animals as you can while you're there. You may not be trying to ill your trophy room, but many species are unique to certain areas and if you're going to ship one or two animals home, it's not much more to ship several home.