African Bird Hunting, By Linda Egbuna

Voyageur

WKR
I always enjoy your articles, Linda, and this one is no exception. Thanks for sharing.
I would really enjoy an article that went in-depth on African archery......shooting methods, bow construction, arrow building, etc.
Keep 'em coming!

I always enjoy your articles, Linda, and this one is no exception. Thanks for sharing.
I would really enjoy an article that went in-depth on African archery......shooting methods, bow construction, arrow building, etc.
Keep 'em coming!
I'm so glad you enjoyed this article and all the others!!!! Thank you for sharing a bit of what you might like to read next. I will share more of these articles in relation your preferences...scout's honor!🙌🙌

P.S: I wrote a quiver full of arrows sometime last year. If you haven't seen it, please check it out through this link: https://www.rokslide.com/a-quiver-full-of-arrows/

Last edited:

Cheechako

FNG
The mention of spruce, alder, and walrus ivory was kind of suspect. Did you knowingly or unknowingly incorporate indigenous Alaskan waterfowl hunting methods into this piece?

Hello there Cheechako! 🙂
Compliments of the Season!! Thanks a lot for reading this piece and sharing your thoughts. And no..any such incorporation was done purely unknowingly. For this piece, I relied a great deal on the narratives of waterfowl hunters in my region and the learned ones are often very adamant that I describe their tools in their own words. For instance, I believe that the person who described a spruce to me in the context of the article might have been referring to the African fern pine. I also think that the reference to walrus ivory was an attempt to describe tusks or large teeth of game such as the warthog. But since that was part of their narration, I stuck with the words. I didn’t even know Alaska had any indigenous hunting methods..waterfowl and otherwise. For some reason, I've always thought of Alaskan hunting techniques as having always been super advanced...lol

Last edited:

Cheechako

FNG
Hi Linda! Thank you for the thorough response. That really interesting that some of the hunters you talked to describe their equipment in that way.
Alaska absolutely has unique indigenous hunting and fishing methods and technologies some of which are very advanced. Many of them are rarely used anymore because of the efficiency and convenience of firearms but some folks still use some ancient technologies like the skin boat or umiaq as well as various harpoons. I could see there being some parallels in indigenous technologies between Africa and Alaska with similar materials such as ivory like you mentioned.