AG Composites Tikka Stock Review

THunt

FNG
Any experience with Oregon Mountain Rifle Company and their product? That's the company I'm considering. I'm running a 300 WM. I know it's a lot of cartridge for kids, but with a good setup, I'm hoping to make it user friendly for my boy.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
No personal experience with those guys.

I would be really careful about starting someone out with a 300 WM. Way too easy to develop bad habits.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at an AG composite for one of my rifles. How does it compare to mcmillan/manners in the way it feels?

I don't think anyone could tell the difference between a McMillan, a Manners, or AGC if they were all painted the same color. Keep in mind I only have one but the quality and feel are just as nice as the McMillan I have and the Manners I had.

I did not see that the Privateer was currently inlet for Tikka stocks on their website. Is this something AGC will do at one's request? Otherwise it looks as if the Mesa Precision stocks are the alternative.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I did not see that the Privateer was currently inlet for Tikka stocks on their website. Is this something AGC will do at one's request? Otherwise it looks as if the Mesa Precision stocks are the alternative.

I just emailed them to find out. I thought they had been added to the website.

In fact, I do not see the Tikka inlet listed for any of their stocks. Please let us know what they say...thank you.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I called Ag last month to inquire the same - where are the Tikka inlet stocks?

I was told that someone else - Full Curl or something - was handling all of the Tikka inlet stocks for them. I was given a name and number.

Made a call and just wasn’t comfortable with what I was told. Seemed like a strange deal - here’s someone else you can get our stock from, and no info on the Ag website regarding Tikka. Is Ag inletting them? Someone else? Who warranties the work and the stock.

I passed and went with a McMillan Edge until
I could get more clarity from Ag.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I was told.

HI Justin

We do still have the Tikka stocks. We have sourced out the orders to
Jason Rigby at Full Curl Manufacturing (406-546-2865) or Paul at Snowy Mountain Rifles (406-546-8732).

They can get your order going for a Tikka stock.

Options are:

AG Privateer or AG Alpine Hunter stock
Factory Bottom Metal (CTR version not available)
Barrels Options:
Tikka Factory Sporter Lite
Tikka Pre-fit Proof Sendero
Tikka Steel Sendero Lite barrel (this sendero lite is steel barrel, not a carbon fiber wrapped barrel).
CTR barrel is not available.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Blah

No CTR inlet is a failure to meet demand.
Only offering two patterns? Again, failure.

I dont get it. Huge tikka market and Ag could very easily compete for a large share of the after market stock purchases. Disappointing.

khuber84

WKR
My 430$ Tikka 6.5 creedmoor just showed up and I hate these oem stocks. I have two customs built on the Mesa Precision altitude Tikka stock and I like everything about it other than the comb drop on the rear heal, not straight all the way to the pad. This makes ergos somewhat difficult when your set up prone w/ a big, it's just sits funky in the shoulder/pec crease. I may have to get an alpine hunter for this one. Stocks more $ than the actual rifle lol go figure!

Sadler

WKR
Quick question about building off the tikka action. Do you have to run it with a magazine or can you opt for a floor plate?

Justin and OutdoorAg...

Thanks for passing on that info. Looks like I can stop checking the AGC website now. I will likely look to Mesa Precision, unless I am really wanting that Privateer stock (looks pretty nice I must admit) for my 300WSM build. Not sure how I feel about the fat vertical grip that the Mesa has, and may go another direction. Have a similar grip on my Seekins Havak...as much as I like shooting that rifle, it doesn't carry as well (for me) as other designs.

I also agree not having a CTR inlet is disappointing. Guess I'll stick with my KRG Bravo for now.

Avezorak

FNG
I have been working on a lightweight 6.5-06 AI and the last piece for this puzzle was a solid, lightweight stock. I am a big fan of Tikka actions and like to have rifles built on them when the length works. Since there aren't all that many aftermarket stocks available (campared to a Rem 700 action) I was excited when I heard that AG Composites was going to be building a couple different options.

23c717764708fa2089d005af5941c76b.jpg

Rifle Specs:
Tikka T3 action with factory bottom plastic and magazine
Bolt fluted (can't remember the company that did it)
18.5" Fluted McGowen barrel chambered in 6.5-06 Ackley Improved
Gen 1 Micro Bastard muzzle brake
AG Composites Privateer stock
Talley lightweight, one piece rings with top bubble level
Nikon M5 riflescope

The rifle was built by Whaley Precision and the Ceracoating was done by Sowastrong Industries.
Hey Justin,

Great looking build! I couldnt tell from your pics, does your factory bottom metal sit flush? Im having some issues with my T3 Privateer and am trying to see what the norm is. Thanks!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Justin,

Great looking build! I couldnt tell from your pics, does your factory bottom metal sit flush? Im having some issues with my T3 Privateer and am trying to see what the norm is. Thanks!

It doesn't fit perfectly flush.