AK archery DIY moose hunt partner

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there, I am 66 and struggle to find reliable partners to hunt with. Im in better shape than a-lot of 40 year olds. Im looking for a serious archery moose hunting partner. I have been wanting to get to AK for an archery moose hunt for a few years now. I have back pack hunted elk for years in CO, ID and WA, so I feel I have all the necessary gear and more importantly the attitude to handle AK, but I struggle to find friends to commit. I have been researching air transporters for a DIY hunt.
I am also a avid whitetail hunter and am looking to partner with someone to lease in
Illinois. I reside in Michigan , but generally hunt deer in Iowa, Illinois and Ohio.

Hi , I might be interested in both Alaska and Illinois. You have a lease in Illinois or are shopping for one?

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Hi , I might be interested in both Alaska and Illinois. You have a lease in Illinois or are shopping for one?
So I had a 372 acre lease in Illinois for 6 seasons and harvested some great mature trophy whitetails. The landowner passed and the property was handed down to other family members who decided not to have hunting on the property. I also hunted a friends property's for years in Brown, Schuyler and Adams counties in Illinois previously, but the properties were sold. Since then I have been hunting Iowa public when I am fortunate to draw and also Illinois public in the Shawnee national forest . I really miss hunting private and want to get a piece of a ground for 2024 and beyond. I have come across a few good pieces over the past few years but cannot get other friends / family to commit early or they cannot afford to commit. I prefer to hunt with partners rather than solo. Most good leases have to be acquired early ( December / January) for the upcoming season. I have a lot of gear to outfit a property ( stands, towers, bad boy buggy, e-bike, etc)) just have to find a good piece.
I typically hunt with my son, but he has his first baby due soon, so he is going to be limited on the amount of hunting he can do.

Regarding archery AK moose, it has been on my radar for a few years now, but the same issue has been the problem. My friends / family cannot afford to go or do not have the desire to go, and I would not want to go solo.
Where do you reside?
Have you ever hunted a lease?
Have you hunted Illinois, Iowa, Ohio for whitetails?
Do you elk hunt?

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
So I had a 372 acre lease in Illinois for 6 seasons and harvested some great mature trophy whitetails. The landowner passed and the property was handed down to other family members who decided not to have hunting on the property. I also hunted a friends property's for years in Brown, Schuyler and Adams counties in Illinois previously, but the properties git sold. Since then I have been hunting Iowa public when I am fortunate to draw and also Illinois public in the Shawnee national forest . I really miss hunting private and want to get a piece of a ground for 2024 and beyond. I have come across a few good pieces over the past few years but cannot get other friends / family to commit early or they cannot afford to commit. I prefer to hunt with partners rather than solo. Most good leases have to be acquired early ( December / January) for the upcoming season. I have a lot of gear to outfit a property ( stands, towers, bad bit buggy, e-bike, etc)) just have to find a good piece.
I typically hunt with my son, but he has his first baby due soon, so he is going to be limited on the amount of hunting he can do.

Regarding archery AK moose, it has been on my radar for a few years now, but the same issue has been the problem. My friends / family cannot afford to go or do not have the desire to go, and would not want to go solo.
Where do you reside?
Have you ever hunted a lease?
Have you hunted Illinois, Iowa, Ohio for whitetails?
Do you elk hunt

I have hunted on leased property in Maryland that I no longer have access to hunt. I live in Southern Alabama and hunt whitetail in the Mississippi Delta area on property that I own. I've not hunted in those states but was planning public land hunts in Iowa (I have 5 points) and or Illinois next season.

AK moose has been on my radar for a very long time but haven't gone for the same reasons you listed. I have Elk hunted in New Mexico and Colorado.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
5 Iowa points is awesome. You should be able draw the SE counties. I hunted Ios this season, but didnt have a good shooter in archery range.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
AK moose has been on my radar for a very long time but haven't gone for the same reasons you listed. I have Elk hunted in New Mexico and Colorado.
Are your elk hunts DIY?
I am yet to arrow a bull on public ground, but I tend to be too picky on public ground. I have never tried to draw NM. I currently have 6 points for CO, that I need burn soon.

I went DIY for Elk in CO no shot opportunities. In NM I had Archery opportunities with an outfitter that didn't come together. Killed one with Muzzleloader hunting with a friend. I try to draw every year but haven't been lucky lately.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
What's the deer hunting like in the Mississippi Delta? How many acres do your own?
I use to own a business in Huntsville Alabama, but sold it a while back.
The wife and I will be heading to Florida for the winter right after Christmas, and I will be researching lease properties for whitetails and a moose hunt, as I will have lots of time to do so.
I wasn't able to hunt elk this past year because I built a new home and the move in time frame was during September. Bad planning I know, but we are moved in now and looking forward to 2024 seasons. As mentioned I hunted Iowa a few weeks ago, but didn't have any shooters in archery range.

I have a cousin that hunts AK for moose every year, but he is hooked up with a group of traditional archery hunters and they keep the hunt limited to traditional gear only . He is a good resource however to obtain any information I desire to plan a hunt in AK. I recently researched a transporter that he recommended. This transporter doesn't book out beyond one year, but he will take on newbies. He however allows his regulars to book early (November) and then opens it up for any new clients early part of December, which obviously is coming up quickly in order to plan for a 2024 hunt.

HuntinMD

FNG
I’m in a similar situation with partners for a AK DIY moose hunt, but I only rifle hunt.( see new thread AK unit 18 moose hunt)