AK FNG

CJ AK

FNG
Like most FNG's, long time lurker first time poster. I've enjoyed the site but would like to engage more. I grew up hunting in Utah and was able to secure a job in Alaska 6 years ago and made the move up.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new AK member.

Eddie

OP
C

CJ AK

FNG
Thanks Eddie! FNG question: would it be inappropriate to start a thread about SJX boats? I want one and its primary use would be hunting.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, I would think a jet boat thread would be great. I don't have a sjx but I do have a jet boat and have run the rivers with alongside them.

OP
C

CJ AK

FNG
What do you have? And what are your likes and dislikes if you don't mind sharing. I've always liked outboards for longevity and reliability, but from what I understand the inboard is the performer

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
What do you have? And what are your likes and dislikes if you don't mind sharing. I've always liked outboards for longevity and reliability, but from what I understand the inboard is the performer
I've got an old 24ft Grayling inboard with a 460 for power. Been running it for thirty years. It's big and heavy which makes it a lot of work to get off a gravel bar but it'll run in ankle deep water. I like being able to work on it and burn about the same amount of gas as the newer boats.

OP
C

CJ AK

FNG
Welcome, I would think a jet boat thread would be great. I don't have a sjx but I do have a jet boat and have run the rivers with alongside

I've got an old 24ft Grayling inboard with a 460 for power. Been running it for thirty years. It's big and heavy which makes it a lot of work to get off a gravel bar but it'll run in ankle deep water. I like being able to work on it and burn about the same amount of gas as the newer boats.
That's awesome! There is a lot to be said about something you can work on, especially in the field. Harder to do with new stuff

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome! There is a lot to be said about something you can work on, especially in the field. Harder to do with new stuff
If you're on Facebook there is a group called South Central Alaska jet boats. Good bunch of people and very knowledgeable about different boats. Someone on there has owned what you're looking for.

CJ AK welcome. I just moved up to Alaska from Idaho 5 months ago.

Beautiful country up here! Looking forward to becoming an AK resident !

Thanks Eddie! FNG question: would it be inappropriate to start a thread about SJX boats? I want one and its primary use would be hunting.
I looked at those boats and decided that it wasn’t worth it.

I’m all about saving gas and the sjx wasn’t a gas saver.

Are you on Facebook? Interior boaters association is a decent group for interior river runners.