AK rain gear help

bmart2622

WKR
Alright gang, Im hoping to tap into all of the knowledge here. I am doing an Alaskan moose float next year and need to upgrade my rain gear. I have read lots of reviews but am looking for some first hand experience. Im am torn between some of the newer more breathable offerings like the Chugach and Yukon and the Koldo leading so far, OR do I go with a less breathable but tried and trued set up like a Helly Hansen impertech. Feel free to chime in, especially all the AK guys. Thanks

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
For a moose specific hunt I'd go with impertech. I've spent quite a bit of time up there and HH is a good choice.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I would suggest HH Impertech too since weight and breathability won't be as big of an issue on a float hunt compared to a hike in hunt. But, give it a couple hours for the Alaskans to wake up and we can see what they suggest.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Generally a moose float hunt doesn't involve nearly as much exertion as a backpack hunt like mountain goats or sheep here in Alaska, of course packing a moose through a swamp and alders a mile plus back to the raft will quickly change that ;). That coupled with the fact that you aren't really carrying camp on your back where every oz counts would lead me to say if you wanted to save your money and get some HH impertech its a great option. I still use mine for hunts where I'm not hiking/backpacking everywhere and have camp on my back. But the Koldo and Yukon is likely what I would choose. I used the Chugach for 2 years of solid use and the jacket held up well, but the pants lasted about one season each (roughly 100 days in the field) and would have to be replaced at the end of the year. Granted the average user wouldn't be wearing them that much, obviously.

But if I were you and of the options listed I wouldn't be too concerned about weight and if you aren't concerned about spending the coin the Kuiu Yukon stuff is super tough for sure, as is the Koldo at however I believe the Yukon would likely breath better and the price reflects that, and no doubt the HH impertech will keep you dry but not much breathing at all. But for a float hunt here in Alaska I don't feel as though rain gear breath-ability is nearly as important as a mountain
bacpacking hunt. Clear as mud?

If you plan on doing backpacking mountain hunts in the future in wet environments then for sure save yourself some money in the long run and get the Yukon first if money is no option or the Koldo if you are looking to save a bit of money and still want breathable and tough, but a better price point. Just what I'd do in your given situation.

Last edited:
OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Thanks everyone for the responses so far, especially Luke. I sounds like you have put all of my options through the paces in the exact environment I will be in. I am pretty certain I will go with the Koldo. Sounds like it will be breathable during times of exertion and for times i will be"living" ln my rain gear, plus theres a good chance I will use it after the trip. Does the Koldo run true to size or is it built for layering?

Ray

WKR
Since you are floating I will recommend that you use waist high wader pants with Korker wading boots rather than rain pants. I prefer to use Cabela's dry plus wader pants and my older Korker guide boots for wet brush and boat based hunting. Years of using dry plus waders duck hunting proved that these are decent systems for hard work in horrible places. The only down side is that dry plus is not really breathable and you have to plan for that with all synthetic clothes under it. If you already have a light weight stocking foot chest wader then use those and decent foot wear. I stopped wearing hip waders since my short legs allowed them to fill up with leaves and twigs as well as being too short for most water crossings. But waste high wader pants are the bomb for most boat hunting, fishing and other fun things to do in boats of any sort.

kodiakfly

WKR
I've worn a few different things on floats here, but from what you mentioned, yes the waders in the raft and then HH or something similar. And since HH doesn't break the bank and you aren't as worried about weight or space, you could easily pick up a more "wearable" rain jacket for your day walks. I wore and carried my GTX/breathable rain gear most of the time, but if it came to a drenching, downpour while in the raft, then I break out the HH.

hodgeman

WKR
For moose hunting a pair of hip boots and a long HH Guide Coat are tough to beat.

Impertech doesn't breathe but realistically nothing made breathes enough if you're packing a moose quarter. Moose hunting in the low country is just a wet experience....one way or another.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Generally a moose float hunt doesn't involve nearly as much exertion as a backpack hunt like mountain goats or sheep here in Alaska, of course packing a moose through a swamp and alders a mile plus back to the raft will quickly change that ;). That coupled with the fact that you aren't really carrying camp on your back where every oz counts would lead me to say if you wanted to save your money and get some HH impertech its a great option. I still use mine for hunts where I'm not hiking/backpacking everywhere and have camp on my back. But the Koldo and Yukon is likely what I would choose. I used the Chugach for 2 years of solid use and the jacket held up well, but the pants lasted about one season each (roughly 100 days in the field) and would have to be replaced at the end of the year. Granted the average user wouldn't be wearing them that much, obviously.

But if I were you and of the options listed I wouldn't be too concerned about weight and if you aren't concerned about spending the coin the Kuiu Yukon stuff is super tough for sure, as is the Koldo at however I believe the Yukon would likely breath better and the price reflects that, and no doubt the HH impertech will keep you dry but not much breathing at all. But for a float hunt here in Alaska I don't feel as though rain gear breath-ability is nearly as important as a mountain
bacpacking hunt. Clear as mud?

If you plan on doing backpacking mountain hunts in the future in wet environments then for sure save yourself some money in the long run and get the Yukon first if money is no option or the Koldo if you are looking to save a bit of money and still want breathable and tough, but a better price point. Just what I'd do in your given situation.
I've done a lot rain gear testing since last fall. Luke is spot on here. Another option to consider though is the First Lite stuff. Its not quite as durable as the Yukon, but a pretty darn good set of rain gear to add to your shopping list. I did some pressure washing last weekend and used that to test the new pants. Stayed dry for whatever that is worth to you... ;) The Koldo stuff is tough, but the hood drives my crazy..

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
On my last Alaska hunt I used Frogg Toggs. Very inexspensive, like $65 for jacket and pants, so when you destroy them over the course of a hunt, which you will, you are really not out anything. They are extremely light, actually very durable and 100% waterproof.

HH top for sure, and maybe some Gore-Tex waders and good fitting wading boots with rubber soles. You can continue to use both when you get home and they won't break the bank.

I've done thousands of river miles up here in Simms waders and a Simms Guide jackets. I've hunted moose in the Simms gear as well....however....If I was strictly going to be floating and moose hunting, I'd likely save the money and get the HH Impertech. The stuff packs down relatively small, is stretchy and flat out works. The Simms waders also are the color of glacial silt rivers too, in case you need to put a stalk on a big bull out on a silty riverbed.

Floorguy

WKR
On my last Alaska hunt I used Frogg Toggs. Very inexspensive, like $65 for jacket and pants, so when you destroy them over the course of a hunt, which you will, you are really not out anything. They are extremely light, actually very durable and 100% waterproof.

I prefer to have items like raingear that will last longer that part of a hunt. I don't trust frogg toggs to last a day of brush busting.

kodiakfly

WKR

Isn't that kindof contradictory? ;)

I used to carry a set in my boat for emergency guest rain gear...but I don't even wear them fishing. But they are inexpensive and light for sure.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Each to his own, I spent 10 days in them covering close to 100mi. on a backpack sheep hunt in every kind of weather and brush/swamp/rock/tundra Alaska has to offer and they worked great for me.

kodiakfly

WKR
Each to his own, I spent 10 days in them covering close to 100mi. on a backpack sheep hunt in every kind of weather and brush/swamp/rock/tundra Alaska has to offer and they worked great for me.

But in all seriousness, did they last or did they fall apart in one hunt?