AK Sheep, Population Observations

it's been a couple of months since the last post, any updates? has AK F&G started any survey work yet?

Thanks!

No survey work, but just completed 3 weeks of collaring and aerial radio telemetry work. As someone else mentioned, we do aerial surveys in July. During winter and spring months, we perform collaring and biological tasks and telemetry studies.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
No survey work, but just completed 3 weeks of collaring and aerial radio telemetry work. As someone else mentioned, we do aerial surveys in July. During winter and spring months, we perform collaring and biological tasks and telemetry studies.

any general sense on how things look as far as winter kill?

schmalzy

WKR
I know it might be early for survey results but curious to hear how everything’s panning out thus far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it might be early for survey results but curious to hear how everything’s panning out thus far?

This below is cut & paste from Advisory Committee newsletter:
ADF&G is gearing up to conduct the surveys in July. Once they are complete and the information analyzed, a presentation to the board will be scheduled. Boards Support will notify the public when the presentation is expected to occur.

I could be wrong, but I believe it was Schmalzy that's headed toward the White River country this coming fall. I flew over all that a couple days ago. Helluva lot of snow still in that country. Still looking pretty white in there.

schmalzy

WKR
I could be wrong, but I believe it was Schmalzy that's headed toward the White River country this coming fall. I flew over all that a couple days ago. Helluva lot of snow still in that country. Still looking pretty white in there.

Wrangells for me with Mont Mahoney.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that's no welcome news :(

I see the USFS shut a section of the Brooks down due to poor numbers

I see the USFS shut a section of the Brooks down due to poor numbers

The Dept of Agriculture (US Forest Service) didn't reduce sheep hunting opportunities in the Central Brooks Range Mountains, it was the Dept of Interior (US Fish & Wildlife Service).

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
The Dept of Agriculture (US Forest Service) didn't reduce sheep hunting opportunities in the Central Brooks Range Mountains, it was the Dept of Interior (US Fish & Wildlife Service).

I think it was the fed subsistence board, right, not an agency?

I've heard a few reports from some youth hunts so far. None have been encouraging, which is no surprise.