AK - Test Negative or Stay Home

FWIW- I fly out tomorrow and was able to find a Walgreens test site that has quick results. It was in a different state and about 4 hours away but worth the drive to show up with a negative test inside AK parameters. I had to fill out a questionnaire online and then waited a couple hours to receive an approval to get tested. I was able to schedule my time and day so that was nice. Just took the test and had the test results back within 30 minutes. I know the updated rules don’t go into effect until the 11th but this may be an option for those headed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s great. Send up an update after you get approved and through the airport!! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work in an emergency room and am due to fly out for a moose hunt starting on 9/17.

Seems like the variable response time in covid testing is due to demand issues. LabCorp is running most of our testing .The tests were coming back slow at first, then got to a couple days then bumped back longer when the recent surge in southern states happened. Now we're seeing variable responses because I heard (but cannot verify) that they're batch testing. IE they run 50 peoples tests at once. If all negative all good. But if one is positive in that group they have to pull the batch apart and retest each one causing a delay in results.

We have very limited rapid testing at my facility. However the availability of rapid testing varies facility to facility based on local resources. I have also seen some testing sites that are scheduling limited amounts of testing so that they can guarantee a rapid turn around.

There are a couple at home test options. I called the state yesterday to ask how they handle this (to meet the 72 hours time frame) and they said they'll accept the time that it was received by the lab. So you should be able to take the test at home 4 days prior to departure, overnight it, it gets received by the lab within the 72 hour window and your results are back in 2-3 days (per what they claim on the website).

Wapiti1

WKR
What companies are doing the home test options?

Here are the ones the Alaska Travel page suggests:

Jeremy