Alaska Airlines New Antler Restriction

With the new 2021 Alaska Air antler restriction of one set per flight, has anyone thought of an economical way to deal with getting antlers home this year? Cut off at pedicle and packed as luggage maybe? Then mount on fake skull.

OP
Chukardogs
Yeah, Air Cargo looks like the way to go. We have a hub here in town. That's a good point about the 3/4 cut.

Axlrod

WKR
My taxidermist did a euro deer in velvet for me. He did a step cut where you cut in half way from each side, but not so the 2 cuts meet in the middle then break them.

It was my understanding that it's one moose per plane and that includes both cargo and checked bags. It would be worth a call to confirm. Also be worth asking if they give preference to one or the other too. Probably not too much of an issue if flying out of somewhere like Anchorage or Fairbanks, but your antlers may be waiting in line for a couple weeks out of some place like Bethel.

It will be interesting if they change it back next year; especially if a good amount of people don't know the new rules and they have moose heads cooking in their baggage room for several weeks. Do they have the right to throw "baggage" out if it stinks?

You can always ship em ACE, Everetts, or NAC to Anchorage/Fairbanks and then roll the dice or check them on another air line.

EastMT

WKR

I used this guy to ship a bear mount as it was too big of a pain to get ahold of the CITES people for a tag during the pandemic, cant travel through Canada with bear products without one. He was great, air freight to nearby airport. Super nice and worked perfect. Does meat, antlers, meat cold storage too. Built a big walk in freezer at his place.

Voyageur

WKR

I used this guy to ship a bear mount as it was too big of a pain to get ahold of the CITES people for a tag during the pandemic, cant travel through Canada with bear products without one. He was great, air freight to nearby airport. Super nice and worked perfect. Does meat, antlers, meat cold storage too. Built a big walk in freezer at his place.
I second your endorsement of Nick at AK Trophy Expediters. Great guy who gets the job done in the most efficient affordable manner.

cnelk

WKR
I used them in 2016 to ship my 60” bull home.

Cost was $1000 and I got it 3 months later.

022E266E-DBA8-4303-B904-A7A3B0A693C5.jpeg007E46F6-08B4-4167-B844-FE4581225C59.jpeg

Willie IV

FNG
Just got back from Alaska last week and we flew AA out of Kotzebue. We had two caribou and we split the antlers, wrapped the tips and put both sets in one big box and flew them as checked baggage to Iowa. We had 10 checked bags since we brought all the meat home and it was $740 total. 5 meat boxes, 1 antler box, 2 rifle cases and 2 large duffle bags. Some other hunters in the airport the day before couldn't ship the same way as the rules the day before were different. AA in Kotz seemed to be changing the rules daily so it was frustrating. The other fellas had to ship stuff back on LTL freight with some carrier based out of Kotz. I'm assuming it was super spendy. All I can suggest is check ahead with the airlines and check often....

OP
Chukardogs
A friend just got back from Kotzebue day before yesterday and they had to ship with some other outfit. AA has thrown a wrench in the works.

cnelk

WKR
I reached out to AA today. This is what Customer Service told me:

AA - Hello, This is Carol in Seattle. How can I help you today?

Me- What is the current regulation for traveling with moose antlers from ANC to Denver. I am reading some conflicting / changing reports that are different in the past.

Interesting. I will get to the bottom of that for you. Seeing as this is actually my first question about some antlers. I'll be right with you
It must be under 62 linear inches to be checked in as baggage following your reservation

Excess charges apply for an oversize/overweight item that is more than 50 pounds or is more than 62 linear inches.

Any animal or rack/antler that exceeds 115 linear inches or 100 pounds shall not be accepted as checked baggage and must be shipped as Cargo.
Antlers, horns and cape that exceed the weight/dimensions acceptable for checked baggage, must be transported via air cargo only
Be encased in shrink wrap or in heavy-duty polyethylene bag.

Antler tips must be protected and padded to prevent punctures.

The item must be free of raw meat, blood, other residue, and noticeable odors.

The item must meet the size and weight restrictions for checked baggage.
I hope this was all helpful

Me-Thanks. That part hasn't changed it seems.
I read that there can be only 1 moose rack per flight? I can't imagine that would be helpful to hunters

AA-Yeah, I can see the conflict with that having to transport them via cargo is a different process, So if it exceeds you will just contact our air cargo team

Me-Thanks again. I appreciate your time

AA-You are very welcome. Thank you for flying with Alaska! Have a wonderful day. -Carol

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
So it I’m reading this correctly, the antlers can not be checked as a extra pc of luggage like in the past?
We are going next yr and if this is the case I suppose we need to figure out how to get them home economically