Alaska bear hunting outfitters

Wondering what you all look for when choosing an outfitter. Weather its online or at a show. What are some key items you look for that determine they're a reputable outfitter? Not looking to advertise on here but I'm starting an outfit in Alaska. My first hunts are going to be May-June of 2024 for brown and black bear. Just curious what you would like to see in an Alaska outfitter. What would convince you to book? High success rates? Comfortable lodging? Hoping to get some ideas of what to work towards.

JJCascade

FNG
i would look at other outfitters in the area, if you are starting out you could offer something different than others, whether it is packages that include more like fishing, lodges/cabins vs tents, pictures of the animals you see to show the possible animals that could be taken. price is one factor but i think the value of the dollar spent on a guide is more than just the dollars spent, but the experience it gives you.

OP
A
i would look at other outfitters in the area, if you are starting out you could offer something different than others, whether it is packages that include more like fishing, lodges/cabins vs tents, pictures of the animals you see to show the possible animals that could be taken. price is one factor but i think the value of the dollar spent on a guide is more than just the dollars spent, but the experience it gives you.
Thanks for the feedback JJ. I've been guiding in ak for along time but have always worked for other outfitters and have never had to book my own hunters. Any info helps and its very appreciated

Personality and knowledge. Chances of success.
Personality because I might get stuck in camp due to weather. And I don’t want to be stuck with an asshole unless they can make me laugh.

Food plans? Maybe offer food options that I can pick? Beverages? What is the bar stocked with? If I’m staying at a lodge what are my accommodations going to be?

What unit are you setting up in? How close are other hunters? How reliable is your help?

I’m not in the market but if I was dropping money on a outfitter I’d want to know the cost to get to you. What you offer me. What’s expected of me. And what my chances of success are.

I’m remote AK and I’ve been chewing on starting a gear rental business for DIY guys (resident and non-resident) and as of now, I’m trying to figure out how to make gear affordable but still be quality. This will be a side gig for me, but something I care about.

JJCascade

FNG
Thanks for the feedback JJ. I've been guiding in ak for along time but have always worked for other outfitters and have never had to book my own hunters. Any info helps and its very appreciated
i've never done a guided hunt at all so my input is without any personal experience to go off of, just some things i would look at if i could afford one.

OP
A
Personality and knowledge. Chances of success.
Personality because I might get stuck in camp due to weather. And I don’t want to be stuck with an asshole unless they can make me laugh.

Food plans? Maybe offer food options that I can pick? Beverages? What is the bar stocked with? If I’m staying at a lodge what are my accommodations going to be?

What unit are you setting up in? How close are other hunters? How reliable is your help?

I’m not in the market but if I was dropping money on a outfitter I’d want to know the cost to get to you. What you offer me. What’s expected of me. And what my chances of success are.

I’m remote AK and I’ve been chewing on starting a gear rental business for DIY guys (resident and non-resident) and as of now, I’m trying to figure out how to make gear affordable but still be quality. This will be a side gig for me, but something I care about.
Thanks Cornelius. Lots of really good questions to think about. Through my other research it seems like the #1 or #2 question is what the success rates are.

Good luck on your gear rental setup. Years back I looked into it a bit but it seemed very hard to be able to provide quality equipment at prices that DIY guys are willing to pay. Hopefully at some point I can provide both guided and transport hunts but just need to focus on one area at a time.

Thanks Cornelius. Lots of really good questions to think about. Through my other research it seems like the #1 or #2 question is what the success rates are.

Good luck on your gear rental setup. Years back I looked into it a bit but it seemed very hard to be able to provide quality equipment at prices that DIY guys are willing to pay. Hopefully at some point I can provide both guided and transport hunts but just need to focus on one area at a time.
That’s what I’m worried about. The could get seekoutide shelters or one Tigre’s…I’d rather someone be given quality vs shitty Chinese stuff.

I’m all about success rate. But I also want to take into consideration what life will be like if I’m not successful. If we all bust our ass and strike out, that is different than being placed in a shitty spot or having someone not pull their weight or do the legwork.

I’m not a bear hunter really, but I do plan on chasing some this spring. Mainly because I want to explore a river further upriver than I went this fall.

Good luck!

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering what you all look for when choosing an outfitter. Weather its online or at a show. What are some key items you look for that determine they're a reputable outfitter? Not looking to advertise on here but I'm starting an outfit in Alaska. My first hunts are going to be May-June of 2024 for brown and black bear. Just curious what you would like to see in an Alaska outfitter. What would convince you to book? High success rates? Comfortable lodging? Hoping to get some ideas of what to work towards.
you can do all the stuff thats recommended in this thread but at the end of the day the only thing they care about getting their animal. You can have shit food, shit customer service, expensive flights, cheap gear if they take a good animal they're happy and its a great hunt. that head will be on the wall and everyone that sees it will be referred to you. If you do the oppsite and don’t get the animal they’ll be unhappy. Thats the way it is, but I think you already know this.

I look for 3 things
1- success- If I am unlikely to be successful, I can just go sit in the woods without an outfitter lol
2- price- I, like I imagine most hunters, do have some sort of budget. Many outfitters don't show price on their site, and if thats the case I leave the site and keep looking. I greatly appreciate the clear and easy to find price.
3- the experience- I'm not there just to kill, I want to hunt. I like moving to different locations and a hunt that requires some work to be put in. Otherwise you may as well go to a high fence...

Note- I've only done 1 guided hunt and it was because I won a raffle, but I'm looking to do some more now that I'm out of school and employed, and those are what I look for.

Just be honest and offer a quality hunt at a competetive price. Did I mention being honest? I've never done a guided hunt but I've used transporters a few times and honesty was not a virtue any of them possessed.

OP
A
Just be honest and offer a quality hunt at a competetive price. Did I mention being honest? I've never done a guided hunt but I've used transporters a few times and honesty was not a virtue any of them possessed.
Noted. Be honest! That's a shame there's so many operators around that are dishonest. I hear stories every year about outfitters false advertising their hunts and I definitely don't plan on being in one of those stories.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Set expectations and stick to them, guess that goes along with the honesty theme. Personally, I'd sleep under a tarp and eat saltines for a week if the outfitter was working hard and there were good opportunities at animals.

-Success rate
-How many other hunters in camp at once
-How many days of hunting
-Any additional species available as add-ons
-What logistics are included vs not included
-Ability to get hides and skulls where they need to go
-Website that looks up to date with harvest pics more recent than 1980

OP
A
Set expectations and stick to them, guess that goes along with the honesty theme. Personally, I'd sleep under a tarp and eat saltines for a week if the outfitter was working hard and there were good opportunities at animals.
Thanks for the input. Seems like comforts are definitely second to success by everyone's replies.

OP
A
-Success rate
-How many other hunters in camp at once
-How many days of hunting
-Any additional species available as add-ons
-What logistics are included vs not included
-Ability to get hides and skulls where they need to go
-Website that looks up to date with harvest pics more recent than 1980
Good to know! I didn't think of letting people know that I'd make sure their trophy would be shipped to their taxidermist/home. Just sort of assumed it goes without saying.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Opportunity for success. Everyone wants success but ak is not high fence hunting. And for our area. The wolves and bears have been hitting the moose hard. But I guess that's why there are wolves n bears around. As an AK hunter for a lot of years. The opportunity for success is fairly good anywhere a couple miles off the road system. We still have a good opportunity for moose and bear and wolves in most areas.
The department of fish n game publishes the annual success rate for every unit in ak. In my opinion this is a good barometer. If over 25% I believe that is a pretty good opportunity for success. Being as 90% of the hunter's don't get too far from the road. And are mostly weekend hunter's. If the folks that visit this site, I assume they they would be more experienced hunter's that put their time in. The success rates easily double up. Heck I don't know about others, but if I have a 50 50 chance and a comfortable place. The rest is on me.
I'm not talking a guided hunt. But I believe that this is kinda what you were thinking about. I was trying to figure out how you could judge success without having something to go by. So for me, the information given out by the biologists at FnG is a good place to start. Then if the hunter's have a little bit of drive. They should be able to consider just about anywhere that is 25% plus success rates. Now throw in moose burgers and salmon filets on the grill. So fresh homemade bread. And a warm soft bed. This is all a success

Good to know! I didn't think of letting people know that I'd make sure their trophy would be shipped to their taxidermist/home. Just sort of assumed it goes without saying.
What I'm saying is, make sure to have efficient processes with expeditors/shippers/local taxis, and highlight that somewhere on your website. I am hearing plenty of stories from people this year who are getting excuses/finger pointing months after going on their hunt, instead of getting their stuff shipped to them/their taxidermist. Don't let it be a chink in your armor.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
What I'm saying is, make sure to have efficient processes with expeditors/shippers/local taxis, and highlight that somewhere on your website. I am hearing plenty of stories from people this year who are getting excuses/finger pointing months after going on their hunt, instead of getting their stuff shipped to them/their taxidermist. Don't let it be a chink in your armor.
The guides are in the field for multiple hunts. It’s not their job to ship stuff. Especially when stuff needs to be sealed within 30 days of harvest, and the guide is in a tent for two months.

The guides are in the field for multiple hunts. It’s not their job to ship stuff. Especially when stuff needs to be sealed within 30 days of harvest, and the guide is in a tent for two months.
I know several great guides that do this. Sure makes it nice for the hunter and post hunt process.