Alaska bear hunting outfitters

keller

WKR
Just do what you say you will do ! That seems to work in any position in any industry

gtriple

WKR
Wondering what you all look for when choosing an outfitter. Weather its online or at a show. What are some key items you look for that determine they're a reputable outfitter? Not looking to advertise on here but I'm starting an outfit in Alaska. My first hunts are going to be May-June of 2024 for brown and black bear. Just curious what you would like to see in an Alaska outfitter. What would convince you to book? High success rates? Comfortable lodging? Hoping to get some ideas of what to work towards.
I've done a good amount of guided and ranch hunts. One thing that bugs is when the websites are outdated and information about the outfitter are impossible to find. Make the experience as easy and transparent as possible. Don't oversell yourself. That can come off as disingenuous. Just be honest and let the results and your clients speak for you.

If you are really gutsy, post a thread on here and ask your clients to (honestly) review you publicly. Finding real feedback about outfitters is the #1 most important thing.

I'm actually gna be looking to do a bear hunt in Alaska soon.

OP
A
I've done a good amount of guided and ranch hunts. One thing that bugs is when the websites are outdated and information about the outfitter are impossible to find. Make the experience as easy and transparent as possible. Don't oversell yourself. That can come off as disingenuous. Just be honest and let the results and your clients speak for you.

If you are really gutsy, post a thread on here and ask your clients to (honestly) review you publicly. Finding real feedback about outfitters is the #1 most important thing.

I'm actually gna be looking to do a bear hunt in Alaska soon.
Thanks gtriple! Not to be to needy but what type of information about the outfitter are you looking to find? Like a list of past client contact you can use as a reference? (with permission of corse) Where should I put that information other than on my website?

I like the idea of having a thread on here. Seems like a great way to get honest client feedback as well.

gtriple

WKR
Thanks gtriple! Not to be to needy but what type of information about the outfitter are you looking to find? Like a list of past client contact you can use as a reference? (with permission of corse) Where should I put that information other than on my website?

I like the idea of having a thread on here. Seems like a great way to get honest client feedback as well.
Feedback/references, hunt style, availability, opportunity rate.

Scottyboy

WKR
What I'm saying is, make sure to have efficient processes with expeditors/shippers/local taxis, and highlight that somewhere on your website. I am hearing plenty of stories from people this year who are getting excuses/finger pointing months after going on their hunt, instead of getting their stuff shipped to them/their taxidermist. Don't let it be a chink in your armor.
I just wanted to echo this as I’ve been bitten by this. My 6x6 NM bull is still somewhere (maybe) with my sketchy guide (found this out after the fact) in NM. Thought it would be a “nice” thing to get him some extra money for care and then taxidermy.

My MT bull took 2 years to get from my guide there, who again I thought I was doing something “nice” by having him do the euro.

Will I keep taking my chances with this sort of thing instead of doing everything myself? Probably as it makes my life infinitely easier when having to deal with rentals/flights etc. and when life is easy, I tend to rebook with said individuals/places. Might come off sounding like I’m lazy NOT doing my own trophy care or taking on the responsibilities but I guess for me, and my circumstances, that’s ok. :) Ohhh and the 2 places that were not so awesome, I have found other places that better suit my needs.