Alaska Guide Creations new bino pack Ravus

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Just saw this post- I impulse bought one right away because of the features on it. I like the ability to load it up with stuff ( which I tend to do). Seems really well built and well thought out overall. Still need to put it through a season though.
The only thing I am iffy on is the bino strap thing is pretty long and sometimes lays too close to the magnet part and it doesn't lock up. I have wondered if using the typical short 1/4" webbing or shortening what came with it would help. I did a bit of old man timber "sprints" herding some elk this past weekend with gloriously graceful jumps over deadfall, and the lid stayed closed. I was a little surprised.

feanor

WKR
Yeah same thing here, but haven’t had time to tinker yet. But with that rigorous activity, staying closed is still impressive!

ChrisAU

WKR
Sling an ADAK into your cart, and T&K and you'll have all the forward non magnetic I think.

Here’s my next quest, forward opening, non magnetic RF holder…with structure. Eliminates Outdoor Vision (my current favorite), the SG, and Marsupial. I’m about to buy a FHF nav pouch and cut off the “flap” to try it out if I don’t find anything else.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Here’s my next quest, forward opening, non magnetic RF holder…with structure. Eliminates Outdoor Vision (my current favorite), the SG, and Marsupial. I’m about to buy a FHF nav pouch and cut off the “flap” to try it out if I don’t find anything else.
ADAK, Stone Glacier, depending on what no structure means. The rangefinder pouches on the Stika Mountain Harness definitely fit that bill. Could probably have @pods8 sew something neat.

ChrisAU

WKR
ADAK, Stone Glacier, depending on what no structure means. The rangefinder pouches on the Stika Mountain Harness definitely fit that bill. Could probably have @pods8 sew something neat.

The Stone Glacier one would be perfect if it had some more structure to it. Still playing with it. Will look at ADAK, thanks!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have used the Ravus, Stone Glacier, and Sitka this year. Have used the Sitka and Stone Glacier extensively before (several hundred days apiece). Right off, how I/we use bino pouches doesn’t seem to be how most do. Primarily we use them rifle hunting, and rifle hunting in late seasons with snow. I carry in my bino pouch a LRF Bino, extra magazine, weather meter, small emergency kit, fixed knife, dope cards, license, aqua tabs, lighter and fire starter, headlamp, chapstick, small knife sharpener. Sounds like a lot, it isn’t really

The AGC Ravus seemed to have addressed some issues with the original AGC bino pouches, namely- forward opening lid and potential for side pockets. However ACG harness has always sucked for chest versus stomach carry. Their low profile one was much better. After talking with AGC they assured that the new harness doesn’t ride up on the back of your neck, and doesn’t dig into the side.
It arrived, and right off I knew that the harness would both ride up and rub your neck when pulled high. Mounted the included front pocket, loaded it up and sized it. The harness sucks. It attaches below the lip of the lid, which means the top isn’t supported and makes the pouch want to tip forward. The pocket flops like all molle based systems do, and and the tethers blocked the lid from closing without using both hands. Nowhere to put the extra mag, so grabbed the side pouch from the Sitka. Used it for a couple of weeks backpack hunting. Carried it a lot- more than a hundred miles.

The good

1). Forward opening lid
2) Stretchy sleeves on top of good for dope cards.
3). I think that’s it.

The Bad:

1). Harness has the same problems that almost all do- rides up the back of neck, straps rub sides of neck. Bino pouch manufactures really, truly need to look and see how companies that make chest rigs designed to carry comfortably design the strap and harness systems.
This pic shows how narrow the straps sit. Also shows point #2 below.
30DFE4DE-8ABA-44CB-BBE0-7F0415993B31.jpeg

2). The whole pouch want to tip forward. The attachment points for the harness attach below the lid on the back, that means the pouch is constantly leaning forward and when you bend over the whole thing tips.
You can kind of see it in these pictures compared to the Sitka that sits flat-
551E3E1C-E4F2-4DFA-B01B-FD4B4662BD73.jpeg

The Ravus compared to the Sitka-
292005FE-BF18-40A4-821C-A98E9C653D5A.jpeg

The Ravus is sitting 2-3 inches off my chest at the top, touching at the bottom. It swings like a dead cat tied around your neck-
437FE6E1-22D8-4259-9611-8006DA4FED79.jpeg

3). The tethers. WTF. I actually had to ask the guys I was with, if they actually used this before selling it. They’re constantly in the way and a two handed method to return the binos to the pouch had to be developed- pull the tethers to my chest with left hand, put binos in, judo chop tethers down to semi clear the lid.

4). MOLLE. This is not the way. In that last picture you can see how bad the pouch flops. That is regardless of it being on the front or side.

Overall I prefer the Original AGC bino pouch with max pocket and low profile harness over the Ravus by a substantial margin.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Stone Glacier.

I have used the original SG bino pouch for a couples years, off and on with the Sitka and original ACG. The first SG was too tight for bino LRF’s. The new large one fits them much better. After using it again, my thoughts are the same as the first model-

The good:

1). Lid opening once set correctly is very good, maybe the best.

2). It carries much better with small binos only.

The Bad:

1). With any weight- bino LRF, weather meter, mag, it doesn’t get high enougbon the chest before being too tight to slip on, and the strap dog into the side of the neck.

2). Side pockets flop and is not a good design for heavier items- magazine, emergency kit.

3). Pouch is sticky, and some bino LRF’s don’t want to go in very smoothly.

4). Lack of pockets, and anything in the side pockets get hung up or blocked by the lid retaining cords often. I rigged the pocket from the Ravus on it, but that’s just exaggerated the issues.

0411D22F-C05A-401C-A671-E9202D3BE2CD.jpeg

Overall, if I were a bowhunter or someone that only carried binos and a wind checker, the SG would be what I used. As a late season rifle hunter, it’s not optimum.

simarden

FNG
The only thing I am iffy on is the bino strap thing is pretty long and sometimes lays too close to the magnet part and it doesn't lock up. I have wondered if using the typical short 1/4" webbing or shortening what came with it would help. I did a bit of old man timber "sprints" herding some elk this past weekend with gloriously graceful jumps over deadfall, and the lid stayed closed. I was a little surprised.
I agree

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Sitka.

This one is the best for how/what I do so far.

Most of those I’m around chose it as well-
EED400FB-F445-4CDE-9811-AB73F00F7C4A.jpeg

The good:

1). Designed like a chest rig. Stable and flat even when loaded down. Harness is sliding “X” pattern with thin straps which is decent, but could be better.

2). Layout. The pockets on the main pouch are usable if not great. The two rear pockets are good for tags, phone to keep the battery warm, dope cards or magazine if desired.

3). The platform. Really this is a small chest rig with a bino pouch permanently sewn on. The “wings” on the side make it much more stable especially when side pouches are used.

4). Tethers. Best design on the market. Allows bino to hang securely right on the front of the pouch if dropped, but still freely reach your eyes.

5). The lens cleaning cloth and pouch inside

The bad:

1). Side pockets could be designed better. And a smaller to medium front zippered pocket would be useful.

2). Included side pouch securement method leaves something to be desired. They work, but it is easy for them to come undone. The panels use a molle kind of system, so different pouches can be used, and with the structure of the rig, the floppy pouch problems largely go away.

The meh:

1). An “H” harness or modified X design such as FHF’s would carry better and not rub the sides of the neck. The Sitka does tend to rub a bit, however being so thin it’s not terrible.

2). The lid. It’s rearward opening- that’s good, but it doesn’t want to stay open on some of them, some are fine.

Overall, for what I need a pouch to do, the Sitka has been the closest I have used, and I have used most. It’s definitely not “there” but it is the most stable, least annoying on the neck, and best laid out (with pouches) of what’s on the market.

Dobermann

WKR
I have. They both have the same issues as the others. Not a good harness system, not good pocket arrangement, pockets that attach to the harness, etc.
Hi Form,

Do you know anyone who's tried the one from Red Kettle (same folks who make the Ventile jacket you've recommended):

Or thoughts on that as a design? (I'm a bit dubious about the sides being open ...)

bsnedeker

WKR
Hi Form,

Do you know anyone who's tried the one from Red Kettle (same folks who make the Ventile jacket you've recommended):

Or thoughts on that as a design? (I'm a bit dubious about the sides being open ...)

I know you aren't asking me, but these don't seem well designed for hunting. There hasn't been a season in recent memory that I don't end up trying to belly-crawl in on a critter. These offer very little protection to the binos from what I see of the design.

I have. They both have the same issues as the others. Not a good harness system, not good pocket arrangement, pockets that attach to the harness, etc.
I ended up with a Marsupial and it works great for me. Everyone is different but it sits well on my chest, the harness is comfortable and I like the coverage of the rangefinder pouch.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
I know you aren't asking me, but these don't seem well designed for hunting. There hasn't been a season in recent memory that I don't end up trying to belly-crawl in on a critter. These offer very little protection to the binos from what I see of the design.
Yep, I'm guessing they're more for the UK market ...